follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 05-20-2019, 02:07 PM   #8387
sqd

Drives: '13 SWP GT86
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajcarson11 View Post
I have been running the 72.5 on e85 with stock pump and injectors for 25k miles now. No issues. I purchased my pulley from Moto east. They were the only vendor who still had them at the time.
I know I didn't *need* it, but I went with DW 700's and a DW 300C for my 210 w/ 72.5mm and E85.. at least nice to see the stock fuel system holds up for it

Car is tuned by Mike at Moto East/Xero Limit, top notch fella
Old 05-22-2019, 12:35 AM   #8388
JDM_Import
Banned

Drives: Boosted Toyobaru
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Hi all,
Im back for another question.... can't find this anywhere. Im running the 210 Srintex intercooled kit but still using the OEM air filter. Does anyone know if a K&N drop in filter is benifitial in terms of gains? I would imagine it will at least allow better air flow. Im curious to know has anyone bothered with this mod. Is it worth it?
JDM_Import is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 01:02 AM   #8389
jflogerzi

Drives: 2013 Series 10 6MT FR-S
Thanked 2,013 Times in 1,457 Posts
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM_Import View Post
Hi all,
Im back for another question.... can't find this anywhere. Im running the 210 Srintex intercooled kit but still using the OEM air filter. Does anyone know if a K&N drop in filter is benifitial in terms of gains? I would imagine it will at least allow better air flow. Im curious to know has anyone bothered with this mod. Is it worth it?
Next to nothing. Might get some induction noise and 1-2WHP but nothing you can feel. Main benefit would be is its cleanable and re-usable. I replaced my OEM with an HKS dry style filter.. kinda just because and it had decent reviews. If you need to replace OEM get an aftermarket but don't go out of your way to do it early.
2013 Series 10 FRS #553
RCE T2's, SPC LCAs -4/2.6 camber
JDL 4-2-1 EL, FP and OP, Tuned by Zach@CSG on e85
RR Wilwood Front/Rear Sport BBK, Motul 600 Fluid
ARC-8 17x9 SX2 GTs 245s/Koing 17x8 v730's 225's
jflogerzi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jflogerzi For This Useful Post:
JDM_Import (05-22-2019)
Old 05-22-2019, 08:40 AM   #8390
86TOYO2k17

Drives: 2017 toyota 86
Thanked 1,188 Times in 781 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Hi all,
its one of the cheapest and best hp to $ ratios you can buy. Its not life changing. but its shown about 2hp on NA. Probably more on FI where its more of a restriction. So 2-3hp/50$ aint a bad ratio compared to other mods you can do on this car, and it takes only a few minutes to do as well. One of the first mods anyone should do IMO, no real reason not to.
86TOYO2k17 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 86TOYO2k17 For This Useful Post:
JDM_Import (05-23-2019)
Old 05-25-2019, 03:31 AM   #8391
JDM_Import
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86TOYO2k17 View Post
its one of the cheapest and best hp to $ ratios you can buy. Its not life changing. but its shown about 2hp on NA. Probably more on FI where its more of a restriction. So 2-3hp/50$ aint a bad ratio compared to other mods you can do on this car, and it takes only a few minutes to do as well. One of the first mods anyone should do IMO, no real reason not to.
I think Im sold on the drop in filter...
K&N drop in filter + replace my front-pipe since mine is still OEM. Either straight pipe or aftermarket high flow front-pipe.
I imagine I would gain at least 4-6whp with those two mods.
What do ya think?

Last edited by JDM_Import; 05-25-2019 at 03:42 AM.
Old 05-25-2019, 10:19 AM   #8392
86TOYO2k17

Quote:
I think Im sold on the drop in filter...
K&N drop in filter + replace my front-pipe since mine is still OEM. Either straight pipe or aftermarket high flow front-pipe.
I imagine I would gain at least 4-6whp with those two mods.
What do ya think?
Yeah, drop in filter plus losing 2nd cat should be around 4whp NA, so maybe 5whp FI. Personally I think it’s hard to tell too much of a difference from something less then 10whp gain, but every little bit adds up. You shouldn't need a tune revision, but maybe another 1whp on the table if you did.

You could also look at Perrin CAI probably another 2whp over drop in filter.
If you want some bigger gains E85 or WMI, octane booster like boostane, smaller SC pulley.
Old 05-26-2019, 12:51 AM   #8393
JDM_Import
Banned

Quote:
Yeah, drop in filter plus losing 2nd cat should be around 4whp NA, so maybe 5whp FI. Personally I think it’s hard to tell too much of a difference from something less then 10whp gain, but every little bit adds up. You shouldn't need a tune revision, but maybe another 1whp on the table if you did.

You could also look at Perrin CAI probably another 2whp over drop in filter.
If you want some bigger gains E85 or WMI, octane booster like boostane, smaller SC pulley.
Well we dont have E85 in Canada... I wish.
Im already running a 69mm pulley so methanol injection will be next year... will probably get some gages to go along with that.
I went up against my buddies stock WRX today and gapped him hard. We did a few pulls and neither of us were expecting that. My car only dynoed 247whp and 210wtq but the WRX stood no chance. Lining with an STI next... will be cool to see the outcome of that lol
Old 05-26-2019, 01:09 AM   #8394
86TOYO2k17

Quote:
Well we dont have E85 in Canada... I wish.
Im already running a 69mm pulley so methanol injection will be next year... will probably get some gages to go along with that.
I went up against my buddies stock WRX today and gapped him hard. We did a few pulls and neither of us were expecting that. My car only dynoed 247whp and 210wtq but the WRX stood no chance. Lining with an STI next... will be cool to see the outcome of that lol
247whp is a tad low for the 69mm pulley, although maybe it’s an unfriendly dyno. But WMI will help a ton with the 69mm pulley, with that much boost you really need that high octane to be able to have any real timing. Wouldn’t be surprised if you got in the 260s with that. Maybe pushing close to 270whp with drop in and no 2nd cat. Another benefit of WMI is it eliminates heat soak for consistent back to back pulls.
Old 05-26-2019, 11:55 AM   #8395
JDM_Import
Banned

Quote:
247whp is a tad low for the 69mm pulley, although maybe it’s an unfriendly dyno. But WMI will help a ton with the 69mm pulley, with that much boost you really need that high octane to be able to have any real timing. Wouldn’t be surprised if you got in the 260s with that. Maybe pushing close to 270whp with drop in and no 2nd cat. Another benefit of WMI is it eliminates heat soak for consistent back to back pulls.
Im currently tuned for 94 Octane which is readily available up here.
I definitely had an unfriendly dyno, its known to show very low numbers. Theres a guy across town with the same set up as me and came out with higher numbers on a different dyno but his brz is isnt any faster than mine lol.
Im super stoked for the WMI as you mentioned for its cooling properties etc etc... just gotta make sure I get the Failsafe system in case something ever craps out
Old 05-26-2019, 02:20 PM   #8396
86TOYO2k17

Quote:
Im currently tuned for 94 Octane which is readily available up here.
I definitely had an unfriendly dyno, its known to show very low numbers. Theres a guy across town with the same set up as me and came out with higher numbers on a different dyno but his brz is isnt any faster than mine lol.
Im super stoked for the WMI as you mentioned for its cooling properties etc etc... just gotta make sure I get the Failsafe system in case something ever craps out
Yeah at the end of the day it’s just a number. How fast you are is what really matters and gapping a wrx is legit. Give us an update on that STI race.

Just need the aux input harness, same one used for flex fuel. I use the Evap one bcs I’m 2017, I believe 2012-16 can use that or the 02 sensor one. Wire the 0-5v output from failsafe to that harness and When your failsafe is triggered it will pull timing and basically change to a non meth tune. So you’ll basically get two wot tunes. So you could theoretically run with no meth if you wanted and just put it in for special occasions but it’s cheap and only used under your set boost settings. I use the 250cc nozzle and have it set to start at 5psi and 100% spray at 13psi. With the 72.5mm pulley I’m making just over 11psi so at full boost I’m at about 80% pump duty cycle which puts out 400cc +/- 50cc. With 69mm you probably want 5psi on and 15psi max for similar output. Failsafe is set to 300-500cc really only need it for leaks, or pump stops or meth runs out.

AEM wmi
AEM failsafe
AEM filter
Aux input harness
Snow performance flow solenoid
1/8npt tap for 1/8” hose barb x 1/8 male npt (you’ll tap map plate to get boost pressure reading for wmi device)
You’ll also need a few tap a fuses, have to look at instructions for exact amps. (I also found a small plastic Tupperware container cut it down taped the edges and cut a notch out for wires, drilled a few holes in it for zip ties, used this for a new fuse box cover fits and works perfectly)
You’ll want Some kind of gauge pod I used the air vent one so all wiring is perfectly hidden.

I put AEM controller in glove box, have everything wired and routed on passenger side and all wires, and hoses that go to engine bay through the noise generator hole. Snow performance solenoid is mounted inside footwell (had it inside engine bay by battery but the noise of it opening caused false knock so moved it inside and fixed that problem.)

Mounted tank and pump in trunk, pump in spare tire well using some rivnuts.
For the Tank mount bracket I used
uxcell 300mmx25mmx4mm Stainless Steel Straight Flat Fixing Mending Plates Brackets 2pcs
And TEJATAN 2.5 x 2.5 Corner Brace Set with some plastic spacers between bracket and car and some thin foam between tank and bracket, bolted on bottom tank holes and zip ties top tank holes to bracket. Spacer/foam is to eliminate noise/rattling.
Can take some pics later if you like.
Just take your time and follow instructions do it right the first time and once it’s setup you set it and forget it. Think this covers everything.

Other kits and setup methods this is just what I did. Ptuning has a clean easy kit but I didn’t want an engine mounted kit.
Mike from xero-limit gave me a bundle deal for most of this and helped me with questions on setup and did all my tuning. Would definitely recommend him to anyone. Great guy.
JDM_Import (05-28-2019)
Old 05-26-2019, 10:52 PM   #8397
BRZ_F

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Vent Plug

So I know the SC snouts build up a lot of pressure that can lead to SC fluid leaking past the seals. I ran across this vent plug on ebay. What are everyone's thoughts? Seems like an inexpensive way to help relieve pressure if it doesn't spew out SC fluid.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vented-Plug...YAAOSwp1RZgljQ
Attached Images

BRZ_F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 10:54 PM   #8398
jflogerzi

Drives: 2013 Series 10 6MT FR-S
Thanked 2,013 Times in 1,457 Posts
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Garage
I use the job bond ventilation kit. So far it looks to be working for me.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk
2013 Series 10 FRS #553
RCE T2's, SPC LCAs -4/2.6 camber
JDL 4-2-1 EL, FP and OP, Tuned by Zach@CSG on e85
RR Wilwood Front/Rear Sport BBK, Motul 600 Fluid
ARC-8 17x9 SX2 GTs 245s/Koing 17x8 v730's 225's
jflogerzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 03:35 AM   #8399
sqd

Drives: '13 SWP GT86
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Gone for a test drive with my 210 finally, and my first reaction is... the "whine" isn't very audible? I mean I can only go on videos on Youtube, but mine does not sound like that at all. Its way more quiet.

Mine has been rebuilt by Jon Bond with new seals, bearings etc, and I used their own "Tribodyn" supercharger oil... should that matter?

I should definitely hook up a boost gauge now.

Last edited by sqd; 05-28-2019 at 07:52 AM.
sqd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 08:41 AM   #8400
86TOYO2k17

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqd View Post
Gone for a test drive with my 210 finally, and my first reaction is... the "whine" isn't very audible? I mean I can only go on videos on Youtube, but mine does not sound like that at all. Its way more quiet.

Mine has been rebuilt by Jon Bond with new seals, bearings etc, and I used their own "Tribodyn" supercharger oil... should that matter?

I should definitely hook up a boost gauge now.
do you have stock intake and the plastic intake pipe?
Xero-limits intake if you have E85, or Perrin CAI if you dont and the nameless metal intake pipe add a lot of whine.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1662896
See thread for details and video.

Do you have a loud exhaust?
This could be covering up the sound making it less audible as well.
sqd (05-28-2019)

Tags
2 whp better than n/a e85, 2 whp? you're an idiot., 2screwsbetterthan0screw, 65 whp better than na e85, bspt fittings ftl, hate u all me no have sc, im just here for the tags, inorite!, it's no turbo but, only big numbers matter, screwyou, whine sexier than turbo, whines_more_than_your_gf, wts grey market butthurt.