follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 02-23-2014, 11:50 AM   #15
DeOppressorLiber

Drives: FRS Full Blown Custom
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianjoy77 View Post
@DeOppressorLiber
Videos or it didn't happen.
I am getting all the videos put together now. Ask @sspkris who has what in their car. While you are at call LJ @FullBlownMotorsports and ask him what is in my car. No need in being a ****. If you dont have something positive to add then keep reading.

The Trypticon Transformation in Progress!
DeOppressorLiber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 12:22 PM   #16
Brianjoy77

Drives: 2013 FR-S Silver 6AT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I just want to see it haha not being a jerk. I'm excited to see how people put power down with this transmission.
Brianjoy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 12:27 PM   #17
Captain Insano

Drives: 2014 Jeep Wrangler RubiconX
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeOppressorLiber View Post
Bring an old thread back. I have since put in a Performance High Stall Converter and Valve Body from South Side Performance. 2 words describe the experience and change...."Holy Shit"! You better hold on! With the new stall being almost 3100 compared to 2450 my car hits full boost at launch. Not to mention hitting 40mph+ in 1st and going into second barking tires and slamming you back. The rest of the gears are super crisp but not as aggressive as 1st. The Valve Body I am using will be there stage 1 and I got the first proto type to test and they nailed it! The stage 2 should be here soon and the testing of it will begin. Thanks to whoever pointed me into the South Side Performance direction. They are the only ones who make the High Stall Torque Converter and VB for our cars at the moment. Their experience with high performance transmissions is top notch! Thanks @sspkris
Can't wait to see these videos man!
Captain Insano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 12:31 PM   #18
Gunman

Drives: 2019 Mazda Miata RF
Thanked 1,317 Times in 736 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by megancheung View Post
If it's working the way its supposed to all you should have to do is floor the gas pedal. Automatic transmissions sense engine vacuum and sometimes manifold pressure vs. vehicle speed to "automatically" shift into what's called a "forced downshift" If your not getting good passing speed or incline power you may need a transmission adjustment a "kick-down" adjustment. 10 year mechanic.
With this box, you don't have to wait for it to kickdown, ie when I'm going to pass someone, I grab the left paddle, drop a gear or two, and go. The slush box is really good, in sport mode it keeps the revs higher, and you can always manually shift if you need too. Many times on mountain roads, I'll have it in "sport", and when I see a turn with an uphill, I'll manually drop a gear so everything is ready to go on turn exit, as opposed to waiting for the car to figure out we're going up a hill. Still leaves me both hands on the wheel too.

Option 2, drive it in full manual mode. Gearing is different than the manual though, so it gets better mileage, but less off the line speed.
Gunman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 12:42 PM   #19
DeOppressorLiber

Garage
Converting these damn things from a GoPro takes forever and then upload to youtube! I haven't even tried driving it in sport mode with the new transmission mods. I always drive mine in manual with the Traction Completely off.

Old 02-23-2014, 12:46 PM   #20
DeOppressorLiber

Garage
BTW, the transmission will handle anything under 500whp. The rear diff is a different story. Just replaced mine about a month ago. I haven't heard but of a couple others having the same rear diff issue as mine actually broke on the inside shaft.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DeOppressorLiber For This Useful Post:
Fly Guy (03-11-2014), skye67 (02-23-2014)
Old 02-23-2014, 01:04 PM   #21
Powersfrs

Drives: Frs
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
What does the valve body (stage one) actually accomplish?
Powersfrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 01:21 PM   #22
DeOppressorLiber

Garage
You will see in the videos. The new Valve Body allows the car to shift alot harder from 1st to 2nd and a little more aggressive than factory from 2nd-4th. It basically makes your car go faster because there is 0 lag between shifts. Anyone who knows transmissions will tell you that rhe harder one shifts the longer the trans will work and the faster the car launches. I went out and drove yesterday and took various videos from different angles. I am putting them all together into one and will upload as soon as its done.

Old 02-23-2014, 01:37 PM   #23
Powersfrs

Drives: Frs
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Nah-ah really? Sweet that's exactly what I've been waiting for..can't wait to see the videos!! Do the shifts bite harder just in sport mode or can u tell when it's on automatic no sport mode? By harder do u mean faster? Thanks for the info this is exciting news!
Powersfrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 01:45 PM   #24
DeOppressorLiber

Garage
I have not driven it in sport mode. The videos you will see the sport button is off. It shifts hard no matter what you are doing! Fast isn't the right word when going from 1st to 2nd! 90% uploaded on Youtube so far.

Old 02-23-2014, 01:55 PM   #25
DeOppressorLiber

Garage
Here is the Video....
[ame="http://youtu.be/9iLLTNwl6w8"]http://youtu.be/9iLLTNwl6w8[/ame]

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to DeOppressorLiber For This Useful Post:
BRZPDX (02-23-2014), chimera118 (02-24-2014), Dadhawk (02-23-2014), Knickstape (02-23-2014), kuhlka (02-24-2014), skye67 (02-23-2014), sprintertrueno86 (04-18-2014)
Old 02-23-2014, 03:42 PM   #26
Captain Insano

Drives: 2014 Jeep Wrangler RubiconX
Holy shit is right.

@DeOppressorLiber
How much power are you making? Shifts look awesome just like you said and you are seriously lighting them up in 1st/2nd. SSP indicates the transmission can take 500whp with those upgrades? Did you talk to them about running a 4.556 or 4.88 FD with that transmission configuration? That is what I want to do eventually.

I wonder how well I would launch NA with 190 whp (93 oct) or 205 whp (E85)? Wonder if it would bog a lot more than yours due to having so much less power. Seems like I might bog with the OEM 4.10 FD, but with a 4.88 it would probably be launching pretty hard. Hmmm...

Can you do some test driving with it in sport mode and auto mode to see if all is "normal" besides the improved shift aggressiveness?

Hey, thanks for posting. I'm jealous. I want.

Last edited by Captain Insano; 02-23-2014 at 04:02 PM.
Captain Insano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 04:11 PM   #27
DeOppressorLiber

Garage
I am only pushing 5.6 or .7 pounds of boost. Full Blown has verified the 500 whp on the trans. With these mods from SSP it would actually make the trans last longer because of the shifts. After you mentioned the "sport" mode earlier, I actually went out and drove it. I couldn't tell a difference with it on or off. It doesn't matter if you have a NA or turbo with these 2 particular mods. They will still perform the same. This stage 1 prototype I have would be as high as I would suggest for a DD because of how hard it does shift. The stage 2 prototype is almost ready and 2nd through 4th will be more aggressive and will be in my car for a second round of tests. The bog that you may have seen was due to me letting of the throttle due to traffic and a small vacuum leak @sspkris can answer your technical questions about the 4.88. This transmission is capable of alot more than what most people give it credit for.

Old 02-23-2014, 04:13 PM   #28
FiRStsc10n
Canadian FR-S Member

Drives: FR-S '10 Series'
The Dynamic Rev Management is a thing of beauty, yes it is just a replication of heel toe shifting but without the work . Other FR-S owners in the city thought I had an exhaust because I have tips and the exhaust sounds more lively than stock because of the DRM. Pair that with the red TRD Sound tube, and its a magical sound in the cabin.
FiRStsc10n is offline   Reply With Quote