follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Member's Car Journals

Member's Car Journals Car journals by our members.

User Tag List

Old 08-14-2013, 01:45 PM   #1
nataku
Negative Mass

Drives: Orange Metallic AVO Turbo GT86 6MT
Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
USDM GT86 with AVO Turbo!

Howdy folks,

I've done a bunch of thread cleanup in an attempt to make this less of a brain dump of my progress and more of a documentation of it. I'm going to continue reorganizing things so the opening post provides up-to-date status of my car and the direction I'm headed with it.

Current look of the car

Table of Contents
Goals

- Transform my car as much as possible into a GT86
- Get as much power and performance out of the car as possible without ruining it for autocross

Parts

Cosmetic

- Toyota and JDM GT86 badges
- JDM Orange Metallic 86 GT Limited spoiler
- Mach V carbon-fiber hood dampers
- Toyota steering wheel badge

Performance

Induction / Intake:
- AVO Turboworld base turbo kit
- 4 BAR MAF sensor
- Custom intake redesigned by PTuning with 100% VTA Turbosmart BOV
- TurboSmart electronic boost controller

Engine/Fueling:
- 770cc injectors
- Koyo radiator
- PTuning oil cooler

Drivetrain:
- Exedy stage 1 racing clutch
- Perrin engine mounts
- Whiteline and Perrin transmission bushings
- Rear differential brace
- IS300 3.727 final drive LSD (M85)

Exhaust:
- Perrin overpipe
- Perrin high flow catted frontpipe
- FT86SpeedFactory V1 resonated catback exhaust (welded stock resonator)

Links

- How to install louvers if you're as inept as me.
- How "not" to install a JDM GT86 spoiler.
- Bonus: How to carry out the obvious and easy installation of hood dampers.

Last edited by nataku; 10-19-2016 at 02:43 PM. Reason: Updating parts list
nataku is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to nataku For This Useful Post:
DAMotorsports (01-21-2014), ftc~brz (08-20-2013), kanundrum (09-11-2013), Marcoscrdo (09-19-2013), nix (09-10-2013), No Brakes (08-17-2013)
Old 08-14-2013, 01:45 PM   #2
nataku
Negative Mass

Timeline:

I took delivery of my lovely lady June 1st last year. Here she is fresh off the boat!

I tried to like Scion for the first few months, but I just couldn't get past my desire for a Toyota sports car. Plus I saw what the 86 GT Limited came with in Japan and it just made me angry that they wouldn't sell me all the options I wanted. So I decided I would just do it myself. And thus began the transformation into a EUDM GT86. (not JDM since we drive on the right)

The first step was the installation of my JDM exhaust tips. This was so simple that even I didn't have any trouble with it (see my spoiler install thread...) and therefore did not make a DIY for it.

The second step was rebadging the car to be a Toyota. I did this last October when I finally got the badges. I was too lazy to take pictures of the rebadging process but I think everyone has seen that before. I had also added LED's to my trunk lid because I like white light more. Here's some pictures of the finished product:

And with the dealer sticker and SCION rear bumper protector removed:

I took a bit of a hiatus from buying parts at this point. I was debating with myself just how much I was willing to spend on cosmetic changes, as I had already bought all of the cheapest stuff. I was looking at headlights, spoilers, tail lights, fog lights, etc. It was all kind of bogging me down. Eventually I just bit the bullet and bought the JDM spoiler so it would be color-matched from the factory.

It showed up without a template and missing some critical hardware. Here's a link to my install thread... Enjoy the read, I tried to caution the wary handyman as much as possible. I have already helped @LPC_FRS do the same job with a BRZ Limited spoiler on his FRS and overall both turned out ok.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29075

Here's the finished product:

Along came winter and I got snow tires. I don't have any good pictures of them but they're Blizzaks and they're amazing. I still have them on my stock wheels and plan to use them again this next winter. Here's a picture of my car in a "Got Snow" advert:

At some point around here we had a nice day pop up somewhere in the end of winter or early spring. Met up with some forum folks and drove to Gravelly Point (it's one of those parks near an airport where you can watch planes). I believe it was @Sargy, @Cyrious, and @Marcoscrdo.

Given the nicer weather I figured it was time to get modding again. I decided from my autocross experiences in the first year that I really needed a stickier set of tires. Therefore, the next upgrade was a combination of my new wheels and summer tires. I got them just in time for the final snow storm of the year!

After that I bought my muffler delete. Then I took another break from buying mods for a little while. I wanted to get a good amount of autocross experience in on the sticky tires before I went with anything else. Also, overall I was pretty satisfied with the look of the car. Here's a picture I snagged while I was at cars and coffee in Great Falls. I had a pretty good neighbor.

But sure enough @Pure Automotive had to go and start selling AVO Turbo kits… I had my eye on the AVO all last year but wanted to wait and see how reliable the kit was for everyone who bought it. Safe to say I am thoroughly impressed with the kit so I didn't waste any time ordering it. And along came the mod bug again... I bought some fog lights from @Sekal's dealership.

Finally picked up a front plate relocator at the big summer bash up at Pure.

Bought an eBay rear diffuser.

And now finally my baby's about to grow up. First we put it on the dyno and found out that I have probably the worst stock FR-S power yet (please correct me if I'm wrong).

I'm thinking the intake is hurting air flow, hence the K&N filter in the stock airbox being a future "mod". Combine the air starvation with the lack of back pressure from a missing muffler and you have a car that is running really rich. At least that's my horribly uneducated guess!

Now I'm just waiting in line for the turbo to show up and get installed!

Thanks for reading! I'll try to keep updating this as I decide what parts are going on my car next.

Last edited by nataku; 03-15-2014 at 01:36 AM.
Old 08-14-2013, 01:45 PM   #3
nataku
Negative Mass

Video Consolidation:

Exhaust and Dyno:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbvqfBlcUhM"]AVO Turboworld Turbo Kit Toyota GT86 Dyno Comparison - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ye0avnLr6m4"]Toyota GT86 AVO Turbo Kit Stage 1 Dyno Pull - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKKsoCxpKlc"]AVO Turbo GT86 Exhaust Tests and Pulls - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFiZO6PWMPs"]PTUNING tuned Scion FRS with AVO turbo kit @ 5 psi Ecutek dyno tuning - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZmDCEUFlFI"]Toyota GT86 AVO Turbo Kit with FT86SpeedFactory Catback Exhaust - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://youtu.be/hDTWHt-2KDQ"]FT86SpeedFactory Exhaust + AVO kit Short Sound Clip - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SNXsoOKLS0"]Toyota GT86 AVO Turbo Kit with FT86SpeedFactory Catback Exhaust - YouTube[/ame]

Autocross:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyjfCzLwnsU"]CDC Autocross - TOYOTA GT86 w/ AVO Turbo Kit Stage 1 - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfzer4fIEhU"]CDC Autocross 11/16/13 - TOYOTA GT86 w/ AVO Turbo Kit Stage 1+ - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2dUdPbIEm8"]CDC Autocross 3/22/14 - TOYOTA GT86 w/ AVO Turbo Kit Stage 2[/ame]

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHOifGO9Yw8"]CDC Autocross 5/25/14 - TOYOTA GT86 w/ AVO Turbo Kit - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited by nataku; 06-05-2014 at 11:07 PM.
Old 08-14-2013, 01:50 PM   #4
*KID*
86-er

Drives: BRZ tS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Nice! Same direction I'm heading to as far as doing the gt86 just sticking to N/A
Kakawate (02-05-2014), nataku (08-15-2013), Rampage (08-15-2013)
Old 08-16-2013, 10:05 PM   #5
nataku
Negative Mass

Turbo is on the car!

Incredible upgrade with just the base tune. Can't wait to dial things in more for 93 pump gas and my exhaust upgrades! Main post updated with the current status of my car.

Thanks to @Pure Automotive for a fantastic installation! And big thanks to @AVOturboworld for making a spectacular turbo kit! Can't wait to see where this thing takes me
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nataku For This Useful Post:
DAMotorsports (01-21-2014), Raven604 (08-17-2013)
Old 08-17-2013, 12:05 PM   #6
nataku
Negative Mass

And finally after 5 minutes of video "editing" here's the dyno comparison video!

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbvqfBlcUhM"]AVO Turboworld Turbo Kit Toyota GT86 Dyno Comparison - YouTube[/ame]
The Following User Says Thank You to nataku For This Useful Post:
Marcoscrdo (09-19-2013)
Old 08-20-2013, 11:12 AM   #7
mightyt73

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ, 2007 V6 Mustang
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
What was that snap when you were doing the pull with the AVO on?
mightyt73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 06:23 PM   #8
ftc~brz
Done

Drives: WRB BRZ
Thanked 4,936 Times in 2,101 Posts
Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 7 Thread(s)
Garage
was russel there when you were doing the pulls in the vid?
ftc~brz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 09:54 PM   #9
mfbmike

Drives: 2013 FRS, 2008 R32
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyt73 View Post
Sounded like a backfire.

mfbmike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mfbmike For This Useful Post:
nataku (08-21-2013)
Old 08-21-2013, 01:04 AM   #10
nataku
Negative Mass

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyt73 View Post
Big time backfire haha. I actually put a stock muffler back on because I didn't want to be that obvious that I was modified. The turbo still pulls very well even with the stock catback in place.

I will say there's a slightly noticeable drop in the turbo's ability to keep spool when I'm redlining 1st into 2nd hard. I miss the flow of the muffler delete, but I'll be getting some aftermarket catback soon.

Also to add a comment about the transmission bushings, I now sound like I'm driving a race car in the cabin. It's awesome hearing the transmission whine, reminds me of the sound a twin-screw supercharger makes. The transmission and clutch are extremely clunky at low speeds now though
Old 08-21-2013, 01:05 AM   #11
nataku
Negative Mass

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftc~brz View Post
was russel there when you were doing the pulls in the vid?
No he was not. Just Brady, mechanic Matt and me Matt.
Old 08-27-2013, 11:07 PM   #12
nataku
Negative Mass

Muffler delete is back on! Backfire has returned as well!

I wanted to return to having a high flow exhaust because I'm taking the car to @ptuning tomorrow morning to get it tuned.

Can't wait to update with the new numbers when I'm tuned for 93 and my exhaust.
Old 08-30-2013, 10:40 PM   #13
nataku
Negative Mass

Car is back from PTuning. Here are the results:

No more awkward dips anywhere. The torque peaks near where it used to dip actually. Drives great and sounds great. The backfire is still there but not as prevalent unless I do something really stupid.

And example of stupid being bogging it in 2nd for a good 10 seconds then letting off really fast when it hits boost....BOOM

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nataku For This Useful Post:
ecko04 (09-03-2013), Sportsguy83 (08-31-2013)
Old 08-31-2013, 07:10 AM   #14
cruizin01

Drives: 13' BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
nice numbers. this was just on the stock wastegate spring? like 7 or 8 psi?
cruizin01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
so boost much car, such orange wow blue