follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 01-23-2015, 05:09 PM   #15
ThisIsChrisKim
Hockey Playing Scientist

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited 6MT (WRB)
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I drive with 35% and never had any issues with it. I had a car with 20% before, and it was great.
ThisIsChrisKim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 05:37 PM   #16
extrashaky

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Thanked 5,618 Times in 2,266 Posts
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfheisenberg View Post
I have never tinted my windows on any on the cars that i have owned in the past. But i would like to tint the windows of my BRZ.
Your profile shows you in New Jersey. It is against the law to put tint on your door windows in New Jersey unless you have a medical exemption.

Strangely, you can put tint as dark as you want on the back window and on the little triangular back seat windows. But no tint is allowed on the windows in the doors. Stupid nanny states.
extrashaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 06:35 PM   #17
brandonblt2
The Stig's African Cousin

Drives: 2014 wrb brz
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
I'm from NJ and have 35 percent tint all the way around and never been pulled over in NJ for it. 35 looks dark during the night and when its cloudy, during the day its not so dark that it draws attention from the police. For visibility its fine when driving on the highway at night the only thing is you might need to roll your windows down if you need to parallel park.
brandonblt2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 07:19 PM   #18
kberkel

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alboz215 View Post
I had 20% on my Tc and it wasn't that dark. I want to do 10-15% on my frs but im concerned since they say don't roll your windows but the window goes down a little automatically when you open the door. Would that bring any problems?
A good tint guy should have no problems.

Some people mod the door jam button to prevent the window from rolling down. It doesn't really interfere with opening/closing. My installer didn't like that idea, so I think he heated the edges more? Not sure, but perfectly fine.

Some believe the window rolls to alleviate cabin pressure when closing the door. I think the real answer is the stress put on the frameless window during a door slam, or combo of the two.

I had 15% on my last car. I have 35% now, and thought it was too light for a few days, but now I think it's perfect. Too dark starts to draw attention when you start modding the rest of the car out.
kberkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 08:21 PM   #19
Burrcold

Drives: Subaru BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,586 Times in 776 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
I gave always had 20% on every car I've owned and never had an issue.
Old 01-24-2015, 08:26 AM   #20
Zatherine

Drives: 2015 BRZ WRB Aozora Edition
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfheisenberg View Post

Can anybody show some pics of their BRZ with the level of tint and how your night driving visibility is affected?
I don't really have good pictures of the tints on my car at the moment but here are some pictures I found. I took these photos for other reasons so it doesn't really center on the tints but...hopefully it gives you an idea?

I'll take some more pictures if you wish but take a look at these for now.

I have Formula One pinnacle series ceramic tints installed at 15%. I was told that they're slightly lighter than regular tints so it's basically 20% versus the other stuff. Supposedly cuts UV rays and keeps the interior from getting hot but honestly I got it for looks and privacy while driving (My sister got tons of stares from other drivers when she took my car for a spin....she egged me on to get this lol).

I wouldn't recommend anything darker or else you wouldn't be able to see jack. Also when I wear my sunglasses polarized or not...it makes seeing the lights through the side windows while waiting at a stop pretty difficult at times.

At 15% it is totally illegal here in my city but I've never had any issues about tinting with police. I think the only people that I know that have received warnings or tickets for it were friends of mine that did stupid things and got this tagged ontop of whatever ticket they got by the police officer lol

Hope it gives you an idea?

Cheers,
J.

Last edited by Zatherine; 01-24-2015 at 08:38 AM.
Zatherine is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Zatherine For This Useful Post:
Jfheisenberg (01-24-2015)
Old 01-24-2015, 11:18 AM   #21
Jfheisenberg

Drives: 2015 BRZ Series Blue WRB
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zatherine View Post
I don't really have good pictures of the tints on my car at the moment but here are some pictures I found. I took these photos for other reasons so it doesn't really center on the tints but...hopefully it gives you an idea?

I'll take some more pictures if you wish but take a look at these for now.

I have Formula One pinnacle series ceramic tints installed at 15%. I was told that they're slightly lighter than regular tints so it's basically 20% versus the other stuff. Supposedly cuts UV rays and keeps the interior from getting hot but honestly I got it for looks and privacy while driving (My sister got tons of stares from other drivers when she took my car for a spin....she egged me on to get this lol).

I wouldn't recommend anything darker or else you wouldn't be able to see jack. Also when I wear my sunglasses polarized or not...it makes seeing the lights through the side windows while waiting at a stop pretty difficult at times.

At 15% it is totally illegal here in my city but I've never had any issues about tinting with police. I think the only people that I know that have received warnings or tickets for it were friends of mine that did stupid things and got this tagged ontop of whatever ticket they got by the police officer lol

Hope it gives you an idea?

Cheers,
J.
Awesome, that looks like something i would want on my BRZ. I will be looking about tint shops on my area to get this done sometime before the spring!.

Thanks
Jfheisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 11:29 AM   #22
Clott

Drives: 2013 Raven FRS(Sold): Fiesta ST
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Must be nice to have 15%. I have to have 25% on my door windows here in Texas but I have 5% everywhere else. Now I need the reverse light kit from diode dynamics so I can see when backing up lol.
Clott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 09:04 PM   #23
Zatherine

Drives: 2015 BRZ WRB Aozora Edition
Garage
Yeah I had the same worry when I got my tints as well since the windows roll down. The guy that installed it for me said that it was generally okay. I went to a pretty well known shop so I wasn't worried about it too much after he assured me. Besides my tints came with a warranty lol. He just told me to keep the door opening to a minimum if possible.

The tints took 5 days max to dry out etc and be fixed in place and during the whole time I still drove around as per usual. I didn't roll down the windows at all during that period.

On average I used the door maybe 12 times a day? Mine turned out fine. Though I guess that largely in part depends on the shop. I've had friends go to some cheaper places and their tints start bubbling etc.

I just drove around at night and I have to say it was pretty hard to see the floor earlier while reversing out lol. I was in a very poorly lit area though. Didn't have issues in the city normally. My street lights just decided to die on me for some reason lol (like 3 at once outside my house). So if you decide to do 15% I hope you live in a decently lit place at night lol.
Zatherine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 03:07 AM   #24
BRZBlack

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
The folks that did my tint said the small amount of movement opening the door wouldn't be a problem. The only time they run into an issue he said was on some model BMW's. Something about the seals being pretty tight on the door. I have had mine (35%) since about november and don't notice any difficulty seeing out them at night. Any darker than that is illegal in Illinois, although my last car had 25% and never got a ticket Just try to find an installer that gives lifetime warranties on the tint. Any bubbles/tears I get, they replace no charge as long as I own the car.
BRZBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 09:28 PM   #25
Ashikabi

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 4,542 Times in 2,947 Posts
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
TLDR; 25% definitely makes it harder to see at night. Check local laws. 75% max in Iowa
Ashikabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 01:04 PM   #26
TB9

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited CBS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
25% does make it harder to see at night but not much. the only time it adversely affects me is in places with NO light. Anywhere that has reasonable lighting it just fine.

I love the looks of my "25%" and it does not affect visibility much at all during the day.
TB9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 01:48 PM   #27
Jfheisenberg

Drives: 2015 BRZ Series Blue WRB
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TB9 View Post
25% does make it harder to see at night but not much. the only time it adversely affects me is in places with NO light. Anywhere that has reasonable lighting it just fine.

I love the looks of my "25%" and it does not affect visibility much at all during the day.
I think im going to look around for a shop near north jersey that does tint. They might have sample of how it would/can look. So far, based on what i have read, im thinking on going with 25%-35% of tint.
Jfheisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 12:28 PM   #28
zc06_kisstherain

Drives: SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
get 35%
zc06_kisstherain is offline   Reply With Quote