follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 06-27-2023, 02:59 PM   #1
Alastor

Drives: Toyota gt86 my19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Header Shield

Hello again.

Haven't been here for a while. As some of you already know, I installed the greddy circuit spec headers some time ago. Well, I have read that the OEM shield can be installed. What is the function of the shield? Do you recommend that I install it?

Thank you
Alastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2023, 03:28 PM   #2
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,890 Times in 16,452 Posts
Mentioned: 709 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I would guess that it is to help protect parts engine from heat from the header.

humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
22R (07-05-2023)
Old 06-29-2023, 08:51 AM   #3
blsfrs

Drives: 2013 frs base
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Instead of the heat shields, you could wrap the header. Although, some manufactures don't recommend it. Ceramic coating is another option. I used Swain Tech White Lighting. It's tough stuff.

https://swaintech.com/race-coatings/...aust-coatings/
blsfrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2023, 12:51 PM   #4
cmiovino

Drives: 2017 BRZ PP, 2004 WRX
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
The OEM header shields are meant to protect other components to heat and also protect against from fire if you park on dry grass on leaves... but also, there's the undertrays there, so this was more of a thing in the past when we didn't have those on most cars.

If the OEM ones just bolt over to the new header, there's no reason not to use them if you don't plan on doing a wrap or ceramic coating. Most headers are of a different design and they don't bolt over. I've actually never heard of an aftermarket header fitting the OEM heat shields, so double check this. I think there would be at least an chance they rattle taking them on and off, things not mating up 100%, etc.

Wraps used to be a thing more in the past because it looked cool and got the job done. However, if it gets coated with oil in the long run, there's a small chance of fire if it ignites.

Ceramic coatings are the new thing, but generally you can't apply these yourself and cost $150-300 for the size of our headers. Quite steep when you factor in it's just a coating and wrap might only cost $50 all said and done.

Personally I don't know what I'm going to do when I get a set of UELs myself. I'm leaning away from wrapping as once it's wrapped, if you want to change it out, you're going to have to remove it to redo it. Ceramic coat is expensive.... so yeah. I likely won't get one that the OEM heat shields attach.

There's likely some very very slight power loss from not using a proper ceramic coating relating to the exhaust gases exiting as easily as possible. Maybe. I also really don't think there's a major heat issue. The bottom covers protect against fire and the heat radiation to other parts of the car might come into play with slightly higher oil temps as the header is near the oil pan.

If your OEM metal ones fit, I'd go with those if you aren't chasing every single HP in some time attack / track setting.
Alastor (07-05-2023), blsfrs (06-29-2023)
Old 07-05-2023, 07:58 AM   #5
Alastor

Drives: Toyota gt86 my19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanks a lot. i think that i will to install shield.
Alastor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Alastor For This Useful Post:
blsfrs (07-05-2023)