follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 11-05-2014, 12:25 PM   #29
calmtigers

Drives: 2014 Whiteout TRD FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
How many "FA20 & FI" threads will pop up this week?

I'm guessing 2 more?
"I love dinosaurs so much that I’ve based my life on burning as much black melted dinosaur flesh as I can on a daily basis...even the screaming sound of prehistoric reptilians being burnt through any of the classic Japanese four cylinders gives me great joy."
calmtigers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to calmtigers For This Useful Post:
Koa (11-05-2014), Tcoat (11-05-2014)
Old 11-05-2014, 12:33 PM   #30
jvincent

Drives: 2022 WRB BRZ Sport-Tech
Thanked 1,410 Times in 715 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
^^^^ I'm taking the over on that one.
jvincent is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jvincent For This Useful Post:
Koa (11-05-2014)
Old 11-05-2014, 12:41 PM   #31
NOHOME

Drives: RAVEN
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
I realize that this will come as a huge surprise to many people, but believe it or not, Toyota and Subaru are NOT actually selling a race-car out of their showroom. I know...its a shock aint it?!

I have asked about a hundred times and never got an answer: "What exactly is it that the car does not have enough power to do?"

If you answer with "Keep up with (insert car of choice) what you are saying n fact is that it does not have enough power to inflate a weak ego. And I will accept that answer.

The twins were conceived with the same marketing DNA as the Miata: "Keep the power reasonable so that the Insurance Companies do not make it a barrier to purchase" Had a suitable warhead been installed in the car at the factory, the peanut gallery would be complaining that it was not affordable to drive. Besides,why should every buyer be forced to pay for the power addiction of a very small portion of buyers?

What Toyota and Subaru did is leave plenty of room for the aftermarket to extract more performance. The liability is out of their hands at that point. Believe it or not, it is the aftermarket that determines the sucess of cars like the Miata and the Subaru, it is the true barometer of the enthusiast's adoption of the car and a passion to make it his own.
NOHOME is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to NOHOME For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (11-07-2014), flippy (11-07-2014), Koa (11-05-2014), Rampage (11-05-2014), Tcoat (11-05-2014), twag4 (11-05-2014)
Old 11-05-2014, 12:43 PM   #32
8R6

Drives: FRS
Thanked 1,338 Times in 746 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
this is the first car that i loved the handling so much, i actually didnt slam it to the ground with fucked up suspension. even as much as i loved my AP2 as a driver's car, i still slammed it to the ground. but this one... oh man. it's just too awesome to mess it up.
Old 11-05-2014, 12:46 PM   #33
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,285 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by calmtigers View Post
How many "FA20 & FI" threads will pop up this week?

I'm guessing 2 more?
Oh at least! We should start a pool to see who guesses closest!
Old 11-05-2014, 12:58 PM   #34
Koa
Sweeper

Drives: '02 RA Bugeye | '15 FRS
Thanked 1,488 Times in 788 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOHOME View Post
I realize that this will come as a huge surprise to many people, but believe it or not, Toyota and Subaru are NOT actually selling a race-car out of their showroom. I know...its a shock aint it?!

I have asked about a hundred times and never got an answer: "What exactly is it that the car does not have enough power to do?"

If you answer with "Keep up with (insert car of choice) what you are saying n fact is that it does not have enough power to inflate a weak ego. And I will accept that answer.

The twins were conceived with the same marketing DNA as the Miata: "Keep the power reasonable so that the Insurance Companies do not make it a barrier to purchase" Had a suitable warhead been installed in the car at the factory, the peanut gallery would be complaining that it was not affordable to drive. Besides,why should every buyer be forced to pay for the power addiction of a very small portion of buyers?

What Toyota and Subaru did is leave plenty of room for the aftermarket to extract more performance. The liability is out of their hands at that point. Believe it or not, it is the aftermarket that determines the sucess of cars like the Miata and the Subaru, it is the true barometer of the enthusiast's adoption of the car and a passion to make it his own.
This sums up my feelings and sentiments about the Twins almost to the T.

The way I see it, there's two things that the Twins have been given a lot of attention to that are VERY expensive to change/be unique:

-The chassis
-The body

All else is easier to mod (albeit aero kits and what have you do enable one to change the body)
Koa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Koa For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (11-07-2014)
Old 11-05-2014, 12:59 PM   #35
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,285 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DohcTor View Post
• The first comment on that site has a point... Honda released the s2000 12 YEARS before the twins with 40 extra HP. keep in mind that the s2000 dynos close to hondas numbers, while the twins dyno far below its provided numbers.
• This car needs more power. Just because you are satisfied (or have convinced yourself of this), doesn't mean that most people don't notice that it is in fact lagging in the power department. Nearly EVERY driving enthusiast who has reviewed this car, has agreed about this.
• This thread is full of fanboys making excuses... Just stop. There is no excuse. Toyota and subaru got lazy on the engine, period. Just look at the other threads, nearly EVERY single member is looking to make this car faster, and most have had to boost it just to get decent power.
• You don't mind the stock power. Fine, but please stay out of our way while we plead with Toyota & Subaru to make a decent engine.

It always cracks me up to see people say that the stock power is perfect. If this car had debuted with 240hp, would the same people be saying that the car has 40hp too many? Lol

*Flamesuit ON*
Was gonna respond to each point but can tell right away that I can not hope to compete with the King of Trolls!
Helluva first post there Buddy.
Let us know when your Prius gets out of the shop and you are in a better mood.
calmtigers (11-05-2014), DAEMANO (11-07-2014), Jond63 (11-05-2014)
Old 11-05-2014, 01:00 PM   #36
kh060

Drives: FR-s Ignition
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koa View Post
As a huge supporter of Komen walks, a caregiver to my father who has recently battled (and won!) prostate cancer, as well as a person who doesn't have any grandparents due to lung cancer, I can somewhat understand your reservations about the title.

Cancer is definitely a sensitive topic for a lot of people, but it's pretty safe to say reading something won't give someone that illness.. hoped it was far-fetched enough to warrant the joke.

Condolences and prayers if you're going through a hard time or have gone through rough times due to cancer
Sorry but the title does hit my nerve a little bit too. I was staged IIIC colon cancer and was done with my chemo 1 year ago. It started to spread to my appendix so it was removed as well. Everyday I try to live life and enjoy this car as much as I can because I sure hope that It doesn't come back because how far I am staged, I am never cured anymore. The cancer just comes back or I die young. Suck to have this at 34 and we are just starting to try for my first child (no luck yet), and what sucks even more is that my younger brother at age 28 was also diagnosed Stage IIIC colon cancer last year. He just got done with his chemo + radiation 6 months ago. We broke out the news to my mother and father 2 months apart. So glad I have health insurance because between 1 year of surgery and treatments, my health plan paid out $400k in expenses, and I only had $15 copay visits.

Please you guys, enjoy your life. And if you have kids please take time to enjoy your time with them. For a moment I was pretty down waiting to see what stage my cancer was and how it is spreading, until it turned out a little better news to be IIIC. Stage IV is very bad with only 5%-20% survival rate I think.
kh060 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kh060 For This Useful Post:
Koa (11-05-2014), Rampage (11-05-2014)
Old 11-05-2014, 01:03 PM   #37
ST185RC

Drives: White Out FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucidMomentum View Post
In a perfect world, it would come with 250-270 WHP out of the box, but nothing is perfect. Discounting the whole car because of it is silly, however.
In a perfect world and defying all realms of physics and quantum mechanics, we'd all have ferraris with infinite grip, infinite horsepower, 0 weight and ferrari would pay us to drive their cars; even then there'd still be people complaining about the colour, red. But everyone seems to forget that this world has limits and cost constraints.
ST185RC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ST185RC For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (11-07-2014), Tcoat (11-05-2014)
Old 11-05-2014, 01:19 PM   #38
Koa
Sweeper

Drives: '02 RA Bugeye | '15 FRS
Thanked 1,488 Times in 788 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kh060 View Post
Sorry but the title does hit my nerve a little bit too. I was staged IIIC colon cancer and was done with my chemo 1 year ago. It started to spread to my appendix so it was removed as well. Everyday I try to live life and enjoy this car as much as I can because I sure hope that It doesn't come back because how far I am staged, I am never cured anymore. The cancer just comes back or I die young. Suck to have this at 34 and we are just starting to try for my first child (no luck yet), and what sucks even more is that my younger brother at age 28 was also diagnosed Stage IIIC colon cancer last year. He just got done with his chemo + radiation 6 months ago. We broke out the news to my mother and father 2 months apart. So glad I have health insurance because between 1 year of surgery and treatments, my health plan paid out $400k in expenses, and I only had $15 copay visits.

Please you guys, enjoy your life. And if you have kids please take time to enjoy your time with them. For a moment I was pretty down waiting to see what stage my cancer was and how it is spreading, until it turned out a little better news to be IIIC. Stage IV is very bad with only 5%-20% survival rate I think.
In retrospect, I would have picked a different headliner for this thread. I'm used to NASIOC, where there is an, 'anything goes' type of paradigm over there in terms of jokes and crassness.

Awesome to hear you are battling it with positivism and drive. You got this!
Koa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 01:23 PM   #39
Jaden
Road-hole

Drives: 2013 Whiteout FR-S
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
What are you talking about??? It dynos right at or just below it's numbers..

Quote:
• The first comment on that site has a point... Honda released the s2000 12 YEARS before the twins with 40 extra HP. keep in mind that the s2000 dynos close to hondas numbers, while the twins dyno far below its provided numbers.
• This car needs more power. Just because you are satisfied (or have convinced yourself of this), doesn't mean that most people don't notice that it is in fact lagging in the power department. Nearly EVERY driving enthusiast who has reviewed this car, has agreed about this.
• This thread is full of fanboys making excuses... Just stop. There is no excuse. Toyota and subaru got lazy on the engine, period. Just look at the other threads, nearly EVERY single member is looking to make this car faster, and most have had to boost it just to get decent power.
• You don't mind the stock power. Fine, but please stay out of our way while we plead with Toyota & Subaru to make a decent engine.

It always cracks me up to see people say that the stock power is perfect. If this car had debuted with 240hp, would the same people be saying that the car has 40hp too many? Lol

*Flamesuit ON*

allowing for a 15-17% drivetrain loss the twins dyno right at 200hp...

Jaden
Jaden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jaden For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (11-07-2014)
Old 11-05-2014, 01:42 PM   #40
AsianStyle

Drives: Whiteout FR-S MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I don't mind the power this car has, but I would have gladly paid more for the car for more power. If they came out with a more powerful version, I know I would have bought the more powerful version. I fully believe we got what we paid for and understand why the power is what it is at this price. I still find this car to be a bargain, especially when the only other car i would cross shop with it would be a cayman ($50k+) or a 135/235 ($40k+).

What does bother me though is this engine just really is not that special. If the reliability was there i would be ok with it, but with mediocre reliability and performance I think everyone should expect better. I do fully blame the reliability issues not on the motor itself, but subaru's inability to create a decent tune or admit to creating shitty tunes and offering recalls without some roundabout bullshit methods of getting these new tunes.
AsianStyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 02:43 PM   #41
NOHOME

Drives: RAVEN
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:

*Flamesuit ON*

Finally...a person who MUST have the answer to my question. DohcTor...can you tell me exactly what automotive function this car is unable to perform due to a "Lack of power"? I am dying to hear the answer.
NOHOME is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NOHOME For This Useful Post:
calmtigers (11-05-2014), Tcoat (11-05-2014)
Old 11-05-2014, 03:14 PM   #42
Kids Heart

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited SWP
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
If Ford can make a 300hp 2.3l turbo mustang with irs for the price of a BRZ the Japanese are just doing it wrong. I love my BRZ but it took a header and tune for it to feel like it looks.
Kids Heart is offline   Reply With Quote