follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 01-23-2019, 09:43 AM   #15
J2M555

Drives: 2018 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
I'm sorry I haven't posted since the other day, but I wanted a change in temperature and to update just a bit what I've tested an experienced.

I can confirm even at a standstill out of gear in neutral, the vibration remains, while it is less than driving on the road it is there and different from the road surface vibrations, its distinctly constant.

Today it warmed up a bit, it's 30 outside, and it was about 30 a few days ago when I noticed this issue.

Today the vibrations were worse basically putting my foot to sleep at highway speeds, the vibrations seem to peak when the engine is at about 3k and even revving past that I don't feel it get worse,
just the same. the brake pedal and accelerator pedal are the worst, the clutch vibrates a bit if you just rest your foot on it
(I don't do this while driving, just trying to feel in this case) but while using it not much is noticeable outside of normal action.

Turning the AC / Defrost on with fans does make it worse, but it's still felt even when off, just to a lesser extant.

I began to feel it in the handbrake as well, or maybe I just noticed it now, still nothing noticeable in the wheel.

Interesting note: the vibrations increase as the car warms up, at cold start there is nothing, and gain in intensity with revs and the longer the car is on, seeming to level off after about
10-15 minutes.

I don't have anyone around to help me troubleshoot, I revved the engine and can see the engine move just a bit with the hood up, but I don't think its major, I felt it looked normal.

I don't notice any difference in engine note, maybe at low rpms up to 3k its kind raspy, but I feel its been that way since I got the car.

I felt I should just share my troubleshooting process so far, this is a peculiar issue and I can't seem to find an obvious cause. Maybe an engine mount is prematurely going bad as a I drive.
Is it possible an engine pulley is faulty or the belt is too tight causing vibration, maybe some underbody panel or heat shield is vibrating against the body, or something totally harmless causing it, I'm not sure.

Thank you everyone for the suggestions thus far, this is my first new car, I'm new to this forum in general and really appreciate all the feedback.
J2M555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 10:05 AM   #16
J2M555

Garage
Just an update on this issue:

I did take my car to the dealer and after they had it a few days, it was determined that there was nothing wrong with the car.

Dealer performed a multi point inspection of the car. They had the head service advisor drive it and a tech drive it,
both said they felt the vibration even at standstill but only during certain RPMs most specifically around 2000 rpm.
Dealer called SOA and they even had another BRZ to compare it to and said it was normal.

Subaru states "slight vibrations felt are a characteristic of injection modes switching on the engine" on my paperwork I got from the dealer.

So I guess I'm crazy and never noticed before, I can still feel it, specifically on the gas pedal even over 2k rpm but it hasn't gotten worse.

Car is totally running normal otherwise, again I don't notice any odd sounds or anything different with the car, just the pedals for now.
Old 02-07-2019, 10:09 AM   #17
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by J2M555 View Post
Just an update on this issue:

I did take my car to the dealer and after they had it a few days, it was determined that there was nothing wrong with the car.

Dealer performed a multi point inspection of the car. They had the head service advisor drive it and a tech drive it,
both said they felt the vibration even at standstill but only during certain RPMs most specifically around 2000 rpm.
Dealer called SOA and they even had another BRZ to compare it to and said it was normal.

Subaru states "slight vibrations felt are a characteristic of injection modes switching on the engine" on my paperwork I got from the dealer.

So I guess I'm crazy and never noticed before, I can still feel it, specifically on the gas pedal even over 2k rpm but it hasn't gotten worse.

Car is totally running normal otherwise, again I don't notice any odd sounds or anything different with the car, just the pedals for now.
Not crazy but yes once you notice something it can bug you. It may have been there all along but since your brain is now aware it will make a big deal out of it.
Old 02-07-2019, 10:15 AM   #18
J2M555

Garage
This is most likely the case, car is great otherwise, still love driving it everyday, life goes on, thanks for the help.
The Following User Says Thank You to J2M555 For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (02-07-2019)
Old 02-07-2019, 10:29 AM   #19
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by J2M555 View Post
This is most likely the case, car is great otherwise, still love driving it everyday, life goes on, thanks for the help.
Now you will worry if for some reason the vibration goes away!
Old 02-07-2019, 01:03 PM   #20
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,816 Times in 16,425 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Not crazy but yes once you notice something it can bug you. It may have been there all along but since your brain is now aware it will make a big deal out of it.
That could very well hold true for a large percentage of the noises that this car makes posted by many folks on this forum -

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (02-07-2019)
Old 02-07-2019, 01:04 PM   #21
Tokay444
Anti stance.

Drives: 17 White 860. RCE Tarmac 2. RE-71RS
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tl;dr.
Bent rod.
Tokay444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 01:06 PM   #22
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,816 Times in 16,425 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Now you will worry if for some reason the vibration goes away!
Ya, like the drive by wire thingy bob that was lose and vibrating, finally fell off and stuck the dial "wide open" -

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pedals, unusual, vibration