follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 07-08-2015, 12:07 PM   #365
yomny

Drives: 2013 FRS Whiteout
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Tut View Post
Yeah, I always thought Full-Race was a bigger company since they have been in the Honda turbo game for as long as I can remember back to when I couldn't afford a Full-Race manifold, but I would have loved one. I came to find out they really aren't that big of a company and are kept quite busy. In the end I favored a low side mount configuration which Full-Race and Full Blown didn't provide.
Always though full race was huge, I guess from seeing their evo and s2k work like you said. Let's see what comes from this, still have my JDL and happy too, just wish things would have been better addressed or at least communicated. Oh well, that's how new business is earned and old business lost. Same upgrade I was getting found it else where, minus the oil cooler which I'll in turn get the full blown.
Old 07-08-2015, 12:10 PM   #366
yomny

Quote:
Originally Posted by erok81 View Post
Like everyone else said, just keep the kit. I can see you are pissed, but getting of the kit out of spite isn't the best idea. Unless you are Kanye West.

The communication definitely sucks sometimes from the, but they kits are really good. And yours is already installed. I've compared mine to some other local kits and the jdl one is better.
I agree lol and no i wish I was Kanye(Kim,Kim,Kim) lol. I have to agree after al I chose the kit for a number of reasons. The thing is when you want to upgrade, get more custom work and your provider does need or care for your business then you simply find another one. Got a guy here on the forum that does exquisite fab work. The problem is that this time the communication issue caused me to be short 2300, parked car and waiting on a refund so that's when I draw the line. Thanks for the advise man, it all really helps when my head is steaming, specially when it got me thinking of Kim lol.
Old 07-08-2015, 06:49 PM   #367
Alltezza

Drives: WRB Limited BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
So are precision turbos just bad then? I don't think I've ever read anything go wrong with a Garrett turbo. @King Tut did you run a garrett turbo?
Alltezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 07:03 PM   #368
drambo136

Drives: 2013 Hot Lava
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alltezza View Post
So are precision turbos just bad then? I don't think I've ever read anything go wrong with a Garrett turbo. @King Tut did you run a garrett turbo?
Gtx is preferred do to the water cooling and ball bearing but that doesn't mean pte is bad. It all depends on the power ur trying to make

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
drambo136 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 07:05 PM   #369
yomny

Quote:
Not sure if they're bad but I know Garret is better and my precision and another member here with the same setup were leaking around the same area. Currently dealing with their warranty services so I'll be able to tell you if that's bad or not.
Old 07-08-2015, 07:36 PM   #370
JDLAutoDesign

Drives: 13 FRS
Thanked 1,437 Times in 652 Posts
Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:

The only times we have had to send back PTE turbos they have all been journal bearing models. We always recommend a call bearing unit if you can afford it (Garrett or PTE)
JDLAutoDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 01:13 AM   #371
Alltezza

Drives: WRB Limited BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Lol thanks everyone, sorry for my ignorance. I just wanted to know, what to look out for if I was to purchase a turbo.
Alltezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 08:37 AM   #372
Rybot

Drives: Subaru BRZ Series.Blue
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Lol thanks everyone, sorry for my ignorance. I just wanted to know, what to look out for if I was to purchase a turbo.
It's alright. If you wanted to learn more about turbos and their applications, Garrett's website has good information on everything for turbos (Ball bearing vs journal, water cooling, A/R ratio, etc).

Take a look if you're curious.
Rybot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 09:50 AM   #373
King Tut
NASA SpecE30 Racer

Drives: 2006 Honda S2000
Thanked 5,759 Times in 3,055 Posts
Mentioned: 274 Post(s)
Tagged: 10 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to King Tut
Quote:
My opinion is that Precision turbos are great for drag cars or high horsepower cars where frequent rebuilding is common. I love seeing them on the front ends of the cars on Street Outlaws (Discovery Channel show). I don't think they are designed to be run on cars for 100,000 miles without issue like the Garrett turbos are. I have only ever owned three turbos:

Garrett T3/T4
Garrett GT2871R
Garrett GTX3076R

I might be a little biased.
Old 07-09-2015, 09:59 AM   #374
Rybot

Quote:
My opinion is that Precision turbos are great for drag cars or high horsepower cars where frequent rebuilding is common. I love seeing them on the front ends of the cars on Street Outlaws (Discovery Channel show). I don't think they are designed to be run on cars for 100,000 miles without issue like the Garrett turbos are. I have only ever owned three turbos:

Garrett T3/T4
Garrett GT2871R
Garrett GTX3076R

That makes sense. Simple design allows for ease of maintenance and install but falls short on the longevity department.

All it took for me to choose a Garrett was the water cooling. It really increases longevity when things are meant to be kept cooler.
Old 07-09-2015, 10:59 AM   #375
yomny

Quote:

Garrett T3/T4
Garrett GT2871R
Garrett GTX3076R

This is my personal opinion as well, plus you don't see many PTE oem turbo's.

For discussion sake, what you do guys think about their new BB air cooled? Supposedly using ceramic ball bearings reduces the the "need" for water? Would our platform(or any other with a turbo in a tight space, which usually is the case) have adequate airflow for their air cooled design to work properly, or does the design doesn't need much air at all moving around the CHRA?

Have to say I'm interested(no water lines) but not sure if its practically the same as their oil cooled only units.
Old 07-09-2015, 11:00 AM   #376
yomny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rybot View Post
That makes sense. Simple design allows for ease of maintenance and install but falls short on the longevity department.

All it took for me to choose a Garrett was the water cooling. It really increases longevity when things are meant to be kept cooler.
That and could avoid overheating the center housing after shutdowns lol and causing the drain flange to leak.. just kidding as this is not a fact but it always makes me wonder.
Old 07-09-2015, 11:10 AM   #377
Rybot

Quote:
Originally Posted by yomny View Post
This is my personal opinion as well, plus you don't see many PTE oem turbo's.

For discussion sake, what you do guys think about their new BB air cooled? Supposedly using ceramic ball bearings reduces the the "need" for water? Would our platform(or any other with a turbo in a tight space, which usually is the case) have adequate airflow for their air cooled design to work properly, or does the design doesn't need much air at all moving around the CHRA?

Have to say I'm interested(no water lines) but not sure if its practically the same as their oil cooled only units.
While BB turbos don't need as much cooling due to less contact friction at the same RPM, air cooling is a fickle design.

For an air cooled design, ducting would be necessary for proper cooling. Most things air cooled need to have things designed around them to be effective rather than throwing in water cooling and not having to worry about air flow in the engine bay.
Old 07-09-2015, 11:12 AM   #378
Rybot

Quote:
Originally Posted by yomny View Post
That and could avoid overheating the center housing after shutdowns lol and causing the drain flange to leak.. just kidding as this is not a fact but it always makes me wonder.
Yeah, heat soak is the main reason I'd much rather have water cooled than oil only. That and I still plan on DDing mine, so longevity and reliability are very important.