follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 10-31-2014, 09:54 PM   #1
AxisPower

Drives: 23 GT4RS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Memory Steer Issue

Recently started having a problem when turning either left or right, the wheel will only return to 11 or 1 o'clock and not all the way to center. I've had an alignment done twice since this started happening, once at an independent shop and the second time after putting in solid rack bushings at the Toyota dealer. I have psm coil overs with rear camber and toe arms, and both times the alignments where almost perfect, 0 toe front and back, -2 camber all around, caster at approximately +6.

At first I thought it was my swaybar end links binding, disconnecting the swaybar did improve the symptoms but there is still some memory steer left. I've tried many different things, including loading the front suspension with the front end in the air to check for binding in the balljoints, upper spherical, but with no luck. Also tried going back to stock and tried different wheels/tires. Can't see any obvious bends in the tie rods or control arms. I've had the car since new and haven't had any accidents, no steering lights etc. Car drives fine, tracks straight when centered, and doesn't behave erratically at high speeds, just doesn't return completely to center and continues to stay that way until I recenter it by hand. Honestly can't remember if its always been like this or I'm just losing my mind. Hope someone can chime in with suggestions.
AxisPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 10:50 PM   #2
NissanGuy

Drives: Strangely.
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Very interesting. How do your front control arm bushings look?
Old 11-01-2014, 06:30 AM   #3
Calum
That Guy

Drives: 2013 asphalt FRS MT
Thanked 2,867 Times in 1,499 Posts
Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Typically memory steer is caused by bad strut mount bearings.
Calum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 12:08 PM   #4
AxisPower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calum View Post
Typically memory steer is caused by bad strut mount bearings.
I thought this would have been the case as well, since my upper sphericals that came with my coilovers were (in my opinion) very tight. I bought a set of Raceeng caster/camber plates which seem to move more freely, but the problem stays the same.

I've tried loading up on the suspension with the front on jack stands by putting a jack and pushing up under each control arm to simulate the car being on the ground, then I try grabbing each wheel by hand and turning it to see if there is any sort of binding in the upper mount and the balljoint, which there isn't.

I have taken the car drifting a few times this season but never went off course or crashed into anything, honestly I'm pretty stumped. My power steering works fine as well and I've never seen the steering light come on, so I think I'd by jumping the gun by saying something is wrong with the rack and power steering motor, but at this point I have no idea. Gonna let the dealer have one more look at it, and if they can't fix it I'll probably live with it. Its more of an annoyance then anything else since it happens when the wheel is so close to center anyways.
Old 11-01-2014, 03:01 PM   #5
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,351 Times in 2,134 Posts
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Garage
Are you getting coil bind from the springs? If you turn lock to lock at slow speeds, do you hear the springs ping at all?

Are you running an upper spring seat with a bearing?

If you pull into your driveway with the wheel not centering and then immediately jack up the front and set it back down, does the wheel center properly?
Old 11-01-2014, 05:38 PM   #6
AxisPower

No spring bind on turns, the Raceseng plates came with an upper spring seat bearing.
Old 11-09-2014, 10:34 PM   #7
pitstops

Drives: SC RB FRS
could just be normal.

memory steer is a pull after making a turn. if you make a left turn the car pulls left, if you make a right turn the car pulls right. usually caused by a bad valve inside the steering rack.
pitstops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 10:32 AM   #8
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,351 Times in 2,134 Posts
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Garage
Our racks are 100% manual, with an electric motor boosting input to the rack. Doubt it's a valve inside the rack.
Old 01-10-2017, 04:02 PM   #9
mokinbird87
BOXER FR

Drives: WRB BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
sorry to revive an old thread, but did you ever figure it out? I have the same issue.. I do not have the Raceseng plates anymore either, but it is still doing it..
Old 01-11-2017, 01:29 AM   #10
Falcon

Drives: WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Minimal Toe In on the Front could help.
Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote