follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 10-18-2019, 02:15 PM   #1261
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwolf View Post
I know its not the most common failure, but haven't at least a few cars burning down been attributed to engine fires after the recall work was performed?
Not that I know of. I have followed pretty close. There was one guy that had a fire after throwing a rod but believe that it was before the recall.
I have also not been able to find one single failure from the other models. The process is totally different so the sealant issue doesn't come into play.
Old 10-18-2019, 03:20 PM   #1262
killmequickly

Drives: 2013 frs
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Annnnnd.. as I have said they can't even get the facts straight.

"Lawsuit Says Subaru Recall Repairs Are Causing Engine Fires"

You obviously have not been keeping up with this issue.

"This 2013 Scion FR-S Went Up in Flames After Valve Spring Recall"

https://www.thedrive.com/news/26958/...-spring-recall
killmequickly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 03:56 PM   #1263
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by killmequickly View Post
You obviously have not been keeping up with this issue.

"This 2013 Scion FR-S Went Up in Flames After Valve Spring Recall"

https://www.thedrive.com/news/26958/...-spring-recall
One does not make a class action suit for cars bursting into flames as the title states.
Cars spinning bearings yes. Bursting into flames no.
Old 10-18-2019, 06:43 PM   #1264
Gunman

Drives: 2019 Mazda Miata RF
Thanked 1,317 Times in 736 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mswbrz View Post

So how many have caught fire now?
Gunman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 12:26 AM   #1265
PWBRZ

Drives: 2013 BRZ 6MT
Does anyone know anything about the cause(s) of these fires? I just got mine back from the recall repair and noticed they had installed new high pressure fuel lines. They weren’t listed on the invoice anywhere - preventive measure perhaps?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PWBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PWBRZ For This Useful Post:
Gunman (10-19-2019)
Old 10-19-2019, 01:26 AM   #1266
EAGLE5
Dismember

Drives: 2013 Red Scion FR-S
Thanked 3,999 Times in 2,155 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
You have gasoline, oil, sparks, and heat. Lots of things could make a car burst into flame.
EAGLE5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 10:22 AM   #1267
killmequickly

The car fires is not the issue, the issue is that people's engines are being destroyed as a result of work being done (most likely incorrectly) from the recall.

Your car catching on fire is just a rare result that can occur if your engine gets destroyed.

As jsimon7777 pointed out, you have oil, fuel, heat, sparks, and oxygen (fuel for the fire). My guess is that the ones that did catch on fire not only spun a rod but also probably had a crack in the engine block or cylinder head or another pathway to excess oxygen such as a damaged piston, seal, or gasket. In a sealed cylinder, once the air (oxygen) is burned with the fuel, there is no more oxygen for the explosion to consume so the flame burns out and does not continue past the initial explosion. However when there is excess oxygen that can get past either the seals around the piston or through a crack somewhere in the engine the fire has fuel to continue.

Tcoat, the article and the article's title itself is not asserting that the bursting of flames is the root of the lawsuit. It's just a factual headline to grab your attention. The recall has indeed causing an engine fire (whether directly or indirectly). If you read the article it clearly states the lawsuit was started because of the recall work being done which is then causing engine failures which in turn has caused engine fires.

If you think about it, if your engine breaks down in the middle of high speed traffic on the highway you could possibly get into an accident which could possibly result in death.

Let's say someone did the J02 recall, their rod spun out in the middle of high speed traffic on the highway and their engine stalled and they lost power steering and other safety assisting features, then they got into an accident over 50mph and died.

If then, someone put out an article that said:

"Lawsuit Says Subaru Recall Repairs Are Causing Deaths"

Would you still say:
"One does not make a class action suit for deaths as the title states.
Cars spinning bearings yes. Deaths no"

No because you clearly missed the point of the headline and have misinterpreted it and most likely did not bother to read the entire article.

Last edited by killmequickly; 10-22-2019 at 10:23 AM. Reason: formatting
The Following User Says Thank You to killmequickly For This Useful Post:
mswbrz (10-22-2019)
Old 10-22-2019, 10:51 AM   #1268
killmequickly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunman View Post
So how many have caught fire now?

I checked out NHTSA's website for 2013 frs under engine complaints and found 2.

https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2013/SCION/FR-S

You can find them under:

April 12, 2019
Incident Date: March 14, 2019
Consumer Location: San Anselmo, CA

March 12 2019
Incident Date: February 17, 2019
Consumer Location: El Cerrito, CA

I believe the infamous "TheDrive" article is the same person who registered their complaint on March 12 2019 with NHTSA, the incident dates match up as do the complaint information.
The Following User Says Thank You to killmequickly For This Useful Post:
Gunman (10-22-2019)
Old 10-25-2019, 10:02 AM   #1269
Ichima

Drives: 13' Lightning Red Brz
So i would like to give everyone an update on my status of the recall. I went in early February for the initial recall service. Within 2 weeks of getting my car back the motor blew, spinning a rod bearing, and they also stated my intake and exhaust valves and rocker arms were shot along with it in the process. Took 2 more months after that for them to finally take blame. They rebuilt the bottom end of the motor by replacing the damaged parts. Car seemed to run fine for 1 month. The Boom. Spun another rod bearing and this time almost sent it through the block. This time they replace the entire shortblock. And today I will be bringing my car back because yet again. I have spun another rod bearing. This is the 3rd time now that I have spun a rod bearing since February. I've owned the car since April of 2012 and never had an issue. Mind you not every time I have brought the car in, another issue persist. First time, they told me my headgaskets were leaking and needed to be replaced. I agreed just so that they couldn't blame any future damage on me and had those replaced ($1000.00 out of pocket on my end). Second time when they rebuilt the motor OCV's are now faulty and it's on my dime ($200.00 out of my pocket). Third time i get the car back after new shortblock my ignition 2 and 4 now seem to be failing. ($300.00 out of my pocket). Mind you not, that car went in with no lights or mechanical issues.
Ichima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 10:27 AM   #1270
Snake

Drives: ADM Toyota 86 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichima View Post
So i would like to give everyone an update on my status of the recall. I went in early February for the initial recall service. Within 2 weeks of getting my car back the motor blew, spinning a rod bearing, and they also stated my intake and exhaust valves and rocker arms were shot along with it in the process. Took 2 more months after that for them to finally take blame. They rebuilt the bottom end of the motor by replacing the damaged parts. Car seemed to run fine for 1 month. The Boom. Spun another rod bearing and this time almost sent it through the block. This time they replace the entire shortblock. And today I will be bringing my car back because yet again. I have spun another rod bearing. This is the 3rd time now that I have spun a rod bearing since February. I've owned the car since April of 2012 and never had an issue. Mind you not every time I have brought the car in, another issue persist. First time, they told me my headgaskets were leaking and needed to be replaced. I agreed just so that they couldn't blame any future damage on me and had those replaced ($1000.00 out of pocket on my end). Second time when they rebuilt the motor OCV's are now faulty and it's on my dime ($200.00 out of my pocket). Third time i get the car back after new shortblock my ignition 2 and 4 now seem to be failing. ($300.00 out of my pocket). Mind you not, that car went in with no lights or mechanical issues.
Either you're incredibly unlucky or that shop doesn't know how to mechanic good. I'm guessing the latter.

Sent from my CPH1979 using Tapatalk
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 10:50 AM   #1271
ka-t_240

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichima View Post

If SOA is not involved at this point, they need to be. 4 engine failures in a year is clearly red flag as far as this dealership.
ka-t_240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 03:31 AM   #1272
ermax

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited Silver
Thanked 2,045 Times in 1,188 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Not that I know of. I have followed pretty close. There was one guy that had a fire after throwing a rod but believe that it was before the recall.
I have also not been able to find one single failure from the other models. The process is totally different so the sealant issue doesn't come into play.

The guy with the white one that burnt was post recall. Around 400 miles after if I recall.
ermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 07:42 AM   #1273
RickyBobby

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FR-S AT
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ermax View Post
The guy with the white one that burnt was post recall. Around 400 miles after if I recall.
If you are referring to this one: https://www.thedrive.com/news/26958/...-spring-recall the article states, "The car caught fire two weeks and 2,000 miles after having its valve springs replaced."

It also states, "Police and fire aren't investigating it, they were just more concerned no one was hurt and clearing it off the highway," Mike added. "Insurance is more interested in paying out and not investigating cause."

It was never proven that the fire was caused by the recall work, and it's doubtful, given the condition of the car after the fire, that it would be possible.

Last edited by RickyBobby; 10-27-2019 at 09:26 AM.
RickyBobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 11:33 AM   #1274
killmequickly

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyBobby View Post
It was never proven that the fire was caused by the recall work, and it's doubtful, given the condition of the car after the fire, that it would be possible.
What is doubtful? That the cause of the fire cannot be proven or that the recall work led to the fire?

Tags
brz, failure, frs, i cant even, j02, recall, so much glue