follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > AUSTRALIA

AUSTRALIA Australia and New Zealand

User Tag List

Old 04-04-2017, 02:16 AM   #1
Smossy

Drives: Subaru BRZ MY17
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question Subaru BRZ 17' - WHY doesnt it have the new rear wing spoiler in AUS?!

Hey all,

Just wondering if anyone knows why the Aussie 2017 Subaru BRZ does not come with the updated rear wing spoiler? It is on the US version and also the 2017 86. My Subaru dealership wasn't much help in providing any answer...

Cheers
Smossy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 03:04 AM   #2
imnotsureaboutbrz

Drives: between cars...
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
That's interesting, the Aus cars have the reinforced trunk to support it. Are there any safety regulations regarding them?
imnotsureaboutbrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 06:05 AM   #3
Miku

Drives: N/A
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
There's been no official announcements besides from a dealership's Facebook post, but supposedly for the next couple of months the BRZ will come in a limited edition flavour in Australia, which has the performance pack goodies plus the rear spoiler. Makes me quite sad since I already bought my MY17 BRZ a few months ago, as I would've definitely splurged the extra couple of grand for the performance pack stuff
Miku is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Miku For This Useful Post:
Smossy (04-05-2017)
Old 04-04-2017, 08:28 PM   #4
Smossy

Ah I thought that might be the case... they release it as an upgrade... Yeah im the same i love my BRZ but i just really wish I had the option to add the new spoiler to mine as i think it really finishes off the car.
Hopefully when they release them ill be able to try and buy the spoiler/ bootlid from my dealership individually. I have thought about buying one from Toyota or the 86speedfactory site but then have to worry about getting it painted and also drilling into the car...
Old 04-04-2017, 08:29 PM   #5
Smossy

Nope no safety regulations - the Toyota 86 was released with the spoiler here? just not the BRZs
The Following User Says Thank You to Smossy For This Useful Post:
imnotsureaboutbrz (04-08-2017)
Old 04-04-2017, 09:01 PM   #6
Lynxis

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ 6MT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Often these things happen for cost reasons. For example a full sized spare is required in Aus which pushes up costs compared to other regions where either a space saver or a flat tire kit can be used which are significantly cheaper and I'm sure there are other things as well. In order for them to hit the target costs, they may not be able to offer the spoiler on the standard models. There can also be marketing reasons for this because they want to increase the attractiveness of the performance pack and way to do that is to make the only way to get the spoiler is with the performance pack. Finally, once in a while, regulations play a part too. In many markets, every part of the car must be registered with the government and it's possible the revised spoiler did not meet regulations or was otherwise held up while the rest of the car got a pass.
Lynxis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lynxis For This Useful Post:
Smossy (04-05-2017)
Old 04-04-2017, 09:37 PM   #7
juicyg6

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86
If you want the spoiler, why don't you just buy the 86?
juicyg6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 09:37 PM   #8
azonic

Drives: 17 BRZ
I think you're wrong about a full size spare required in Aus?
azonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 07:48 PM   #9
Smossy

Quote:
Originally Posted by juicyg6 View Post
If you want the spoiler, why don't you just buy the 86?
I was always set on buying the 86 in white until I walked into a Subaru dealership and saw how good the WR Blue colour looks... I signed my papers for the BRZ that same day haha!
Old 04-05-2017, 07:52 PM   #10
Smossy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynxis View Post
Often these things happen for cost reasons. For example a full sized spare is required in Aus which pushes up costs compared to other regions where either a space saver or a flat tire kit can be used which are significantly cheaper and I'm sure there are other things as well. In order for them to hit the target costs, they may not be able to offer the spoiler on the standard models. There can also be marketing reasons for this because they want to increase the attractiveness of the performance pack and way to do that is to make the only way to get the spoiler is with the performance pack. Finally, once in a while, regulations play a part too. In many markets, every part of the car must be registered with the government and it's possible the revised spoiler did not meet regulations or was otherwise held up while the rest of the car got a pass.
I know that Toyota is able to sell the 86's here with no full size spare and offer space saver options. I agree with you in that I think Subaru held the spoiler option back to boost the attractiveness of their limited release model... I just hope they are able to sell the spoiler individually.
Old 04-05-2017, 07:53 PM   #11
juicyg6

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smossy View Post
I was always set on buying the 86 in white until I walked into a Subaru dealership and saw how good the WR Blue colour looks... I signed my papers for the BRZ that same day haha!
Fair enough - that's the choice you have to make here in Australia I guess.

Make your pick between badge, colour, front bumper and spoiler. Think of it as a good problem to have!
juicyg6 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to juicyg6 For This Useful Post:
Smossy (04-05-2017)
Old 04-06-2017, 08:44 PM   #12
Esseff

Drives: 2017 BRZ Ltd White
Well i know i wud b in the minority, but i hate any kind of spoiler. It literally IS a spoiler... of the car.
So maybe better to let ppl who want it buy it as an extra.

PS. I hate the front end on the new 86 but the brz looks awesome (almost Porsche like). That is why i went for thr brz.

PPS. The full size spare is ridiculous the way it ruins the boot area. I had them throw in a free space saver spare and made a new boot carpet to cover it.

Now my brz is perfect!
Esseff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Esseff For This Useful Post:
Boomerang (04-11-2017)
Old 04-08-2017, 07:04 PM   #13
Bodalenko
Steve Bodalenko

Drives: Toyota 86 GTS
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esseff View Post
I hate the front end on the new 86 but the brz looks awesome (almost Porsche like). That is why i went for thr brz.

PPS. The full size spare is ridiculous the way it ruins the boot area. I had them throw in a free space saver spare and made a new boot carpet to cover it
Apples and oranges between these two cars.

So the BRZ still has a full size spare as standard? Would reduce an already small boot to just about useless. Bought a Audi A3 space saver and threw the repair kit away.

I was considering upgrading from my March, 2013, GTS to the 2017 but given that apart from some bs body changes, steering wheel, and a a pissy few kw's, the car is virtually onchanged why would I bother.

Five years old now and no dramatic, perfaomance, handling or cosmetic changes. Toyobaru obviously see it's life as limited.
Bodalenko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 04:38 AM   #14
Byza

Drives: 2017 86 GTS
I asked about it at Subaru and they said they could order one but turned out to be the old style spoiler. We also don't get the LEDs next to the fog lights.

Byza is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
australia, spoiler, subaru brz