follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 10-21-2015, 07:25 PM   #281
djdnz

Drives: 2013 BRZ WRB S/C
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuczynskika View Post
Right? Then others say Hawks are super quiet...
Did you bed the brakes properly? If not they may be glazed and causing the squeal.
djdnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 07:27 PM   #282
kuczynskika

Drives: Harrop TVS86 STi BRZ tS
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by djdnz View Post
Did you bed the brakes properly? If not they may be glazed and causing the squeal.

I followed the directions provided on the box, I'm not sure if it was enough tho? I felt like I worked the brakes hard but maybe it wasn't hard enough?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kuczynskika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 11:37 AM   #283
Rafi@RR-racing

Drives: Toyota GT86
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Not sure if you all are aware, but the STi swap actually makes the bias issue worse. Adding the rear STi calipers helps a bit, but you guys are shifting bias further to the front on a car that is already heavily front biased. This will not work well on the track for sure, as some have already experienced. BRZ's do not work well with heavy front brake bias... keep in mind the BRZ has better weight distribution than the STi (closer to 50/50), and much lower curb weight, so not nearly as much weight shifts to the front wheels on the BRZ compared to the STi.

STi rear calipers actualy have less mechanical advantage (smaller piston size) than OEM BRZ calipers. STi front calipers have more mechanical advantage than BRZ fronts, which is only exaggerated with the larger rotor size.

Your best bet to try to remedy the situation is to use more aggressive rear brake compounds vs. front, or get our Front/Rear BBK's:-)

-Rafi
Attached Images

Rafi@RR-racing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rafi@RR-racing For This Useful Post:
chaoskaze (06-30-2016)
Old 10-22-2015, 12:20 PM   #284
kuczynskika

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafi@RR-racing View Post
Not sure if you all are aware, but the STi swap actually makes the bias issue worse. Adding the rear STi calipers helps a bit, but you guys are shifting bias further to the front on a car that is already heavily front biased. This will not work well on the track for sure, as some have already experienced. BRZ's do not work well with heavy front brake bias... keep in mind the BRZ has better weight distribution than the STi (closer to 50/50), and much lower curb weight, so not nearly as much weight shifts to the front wheels on the BRZ compared to the STi.

STi rear calipers actualy have less mechanical advantage (smaller piston size) than OEM BRZ calipers. STi front calipers have more mechanical advantage than BRZ fronts, which is only exaggerated with the larger rotor size.

Your best bet to try to remedy the situation is to use more aggressive rear brake compounds vs. front, or get our Front/Rear BBK's:-)

-Rafi

Thanks, you're not the first to assert the bias issue. I'm just trying to get them to stop squealing...

Old 11-06-2015, 10:45 AM   #285
gtishtar

Drives: 86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
don't know if anyone has same problem? i have same setup like kuczynskika on both front and rear, except using pmu ns-c brake pad to avoid squealing. which is working perfectly when driving forwards. no squealing at all no matter how you brake. but driving backwards is completely different story. it squeal every time when brake.

the ppl who installed the kit told me that it's normal, to resolve this issue is to change even more soft brake pad. is this true?
gtishtar is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gtishtar For This Useful Post:
Traktor (07-12-2016)
Old 11-06-2015, 01:28 PM   #286
kuczynskika

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtishtar View Post
don't know if anyone has same problem? i have same setup like kuczynskika on both front and rear, except using pmu ns-c brake pad to avoid squealing. which is working perfectly when driving forwards. no squealing at all no matter how you brake. but driving backwards is completely different story. it squeal every time when brake.

the ppl who installed the kit told me that it's normal, to resolve this issue is to change even more soft brake pad. is this true?

I've heard people complaining about the squeaking only in reverse like you. I can't figure that one out either. I think the question to be resolved is if this is a brake pad (compound type) issue or simply due to the brembo design.

Old 11-16-2015, 10:52 AM   #287
ThatBlueBRZ

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Squealing brakes on a big brake kit is very common. I first had installed 6 pistons wilwoods and had extremely loud excessive squeals in soft braking and hard braking. Brake shims were also installed behind the brake pads properly. I've bedded the brakes properly and couldn't find a reason how to stop it.

I then went to a local Canadian Tire and bought "Anti-Brake Squeal Paste". It was literally magic as all squeals were gone during hard AND soft braking.
ThatBlueBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ThatBlueBRZ For This Useful Post:
kuczynskika (11-16-2015)
Old 11-16-2015, 11:03 AM   #288
kuczynskika

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatBlueBRZ View Post
Squealing brakes on a big brake kit is very common. I first had installed 6 pistons wilwoods and had extremely loud excessive squeals in soft braking and hard braking. Brake shims were also installed behind the brake pads properly. I've bedded the brakes properly and couldn't find a reason how to stop it.

I then went to a local Canadian Tire and bought "Anti-Brake Squeal Paste". It was literally magic as all squeals were gone during hard AND soft braking.

That seems to be the solution. How often do you have to apply the paste? Is this a regular thing or does it keep things quiet for a good chunk of time?

Old 11-16-2015, 05:57 PM   #289
azian_advanced
*****istrator

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S 10-Series M/T
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
On mine, I'm using Stop-Tech pads and it almost never squeals.
The only time it happened was when I hit the brakes upon leaving the garage in the morning after a day of driving through wet roads. There must have been some corrosion that formed on the rotors from the moisture. It went away immediately though.

I've also applied a thin layer of grease between the pads & shims to help them stick together. I was told by a mechanic to do this when installing new pads. Is that how you apply the "anti-squeal brake paste" too?
SC10N FR-S #435 of 2500
azian_advanced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 11:47 AM   #290
ThatBlueBRZ

Quote:
That seems to be the solution. How often do you have to apply the paste? Is this a regular thing or does it keep things quiet for a good chunk of time?

I would probably apply the Anti-Squeal Paste everytime I change my pads. After applying the brake paste, I notice immediately that the squeals during soft or hard braking were not there anymore.
Old 11-18-2015, 11:51 AM   #291
ThatBlueBRZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by azian_advanced View Post
On mine, I'm using Stop-Tech pads and it almost never squeals.
The only time it happened was when I hit the brakes upon leaving the garage in the morning after a day of driving through wet roads. There must have been some corrosion that formed on the rotors from the moisture. It went away immediately though.

I've also applied a thin layer of grease between the pads & shims to help them stick together. I was told by a mechanic to do this when installing new pads. Is that how you apply the "anti-squeal brake paste" too?
I'll be installing my front and rear stoptech bbk and I've heard that with Stoptech pads, it squeals a little before warming them up. After a few kms of use and warm pads the squeals should go away.

Yes, I would recommend applying brake squeal paste everytime you change your brake pads as well.
Old 11-18-2015, 06:38 PM   #292
kuczynskika

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatBlueBRZ View Post
I would probably apply the Anti-Squeal Paste everytime I change my pads. After applying the brake paste, I notice immediately that the squeals during soft or hard braking were not there anymore.
When I did the original install I used the provided anti-squeal paste from hawk. I am assuming I need more since the original amount wasn't enough?
Old 06-16-2016, 12:28 PM   #293
pgranberg11
BoostedBRZ

Drives: Turbo BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I'll let pictures speak. I've ran sti brembos for about a year and half already. you can see in terms people worried about trailing piston... practically negligible. in terms of brake bais, you can't really tell a difference. I will tell you it was a HUGE improvement over stock when on the track. I cooked all the stock stuff coming from multiple stops at over 115mph to 60mph to make a turn.

I've learned now, definitely better fluid and better pads. Right now I'm running just the stoptech pads with stop tech fluid and stainless steel lines, and running the 2004 sti front brembos with some basic 2004 centric rotors from rock auto.

I'll be looking into bumping up the pads to something else and throwing in some torque RT700 fluid.

For the price of getting these ($600) it was well worth it in my opinion.

pgranberg11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 12:38 PM   #294
pgranberg11
BoostedBRZ

Drives: Turbo BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
So I completed this brembo conversion over the summer using brand new 2013 calipers, Hawk HPS pads and DBA 4000 rotors. I also successfully flipped the bleeders so that the pistons run in the proper orientation.

I now have exceedingly squeaky brakes coming to a stop at low speeds ESPECIALLY when I have the wheel turned. Having done my research, brembos seem to squeal naturally... or do they? Some said yes, some said no, some said hawk pads squeal, some said they didn't, some said grease the pistons; regardless I would like to know if anyone is experiencing this annoying squeal and if there is a solution. Thanks!
I believe it is the braking compound. At a certain temperature these brakes are made to function the best and if it's not at it's operating temperature then it will squeal no matter what you do. HP Plus have optimal operating temp range from 300-600F. I have the stop tech pads and they never squeal.

I remember when I was at an autocross event, everyone was pointing fingers at some person for having excessively squealing brakes. At the end of the day they came to the conclusion he was using the wrong brake pads for his application which was autocross. Basically the brakes weren't getting in the optimal temperature range, thus it will squeal.
pgranberg11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brakes, caliper, sti, swap