follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 03-21-2012, 09:30 PM   #1709
tranzformer
Delights in pure handling

Drives: Zoom Zoom
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sully View Post
If I remember correctly, the torque curve on the dyno was actually pretty good. AP1 S2k this probably isn't-so if you'd be satisfied with the ~150, it shouldn't need to be revved TOO badly. Especially at the weight that it is.

I guess I should have put the "rowing" the gears in quotes since people have different expectations for regular DD duties. But you are right, based on the dyno it might not be that bad. Will just have to wait until we can test drive it.
tranzformer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 12:03 AM   #1710
Want.FR-S

Drives: 4 Wheels Auto
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tranzformer View Post
MSRP

GC 2.0T= $24,250
FRS= $24,200

MSRP + dest fees

GC 2.0T= $25,215
FRS= $24,930 to $24,985 (depending on destination fees)

GC is heavier, larger, doesn't have as good of steering feel (per reviewers comments) and not as good looking as the BRZ/FRS. However it does have more power, more useable back seats?, better warranty, and probably a more useable DD car due to power curves.

BRZ/FRS is smaller, lighter, better seating position, better steering feel, better styling, better design as a sports car from beginning to end. However BRZ/FRS probably will force you to "row" the gears a lot in every day driving (not necessarily a bad thing), smaller back seats, not as good of warranty and not as much HP.

Just a few of the differences I could think of right now between the two cars.
Just add one thing to the BRZ/FRS camp: low center of gravity. However, I am questioning about the application of that in a DD car. So even if GC comes with a high COG, can that be fixed by suspension tuning and tire selection?
Want.FR-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 12:10 AM   #1711
Want.FR-S

Or another note: when someone complains about the 200 hp of BRZ/FRS, many people would counter back with the saying of not understanding the power-to-weight ratio. Then we have to ask this: what is the power-to-weight (or torque-to-weight) ratio for BRZ/FRS and how it compares with other competition? Because based on my calculation BRZ/FRS is not doing any better than any of the competition.

Having said that, the *considered* light weight (27xx lb) is indeed a plus in today's new car. However, many of the old cars also come with that weight but with less power. I really need to see how much faster BRZ/FRS is compared with the old car I am trying to dump.
Old 03-22-2012, 12:24 AM   #1712
tranzformer
Delights in pure handling

Drives: Zoom Zoom
^ Good thought regarding the COG. Might feel some of that as a DD, but will definitely feel it on the track/auto-x. Just depends how the driver will use the car. 90%DD/10% track? Or 90% track/10% DD. Will really affect the decision I think to some extent; unless you absolutely need a lightweight car like the twins.
tranzformer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 12:50 AM   #1713
Want.FR-S

I would guess with low over hang, like the one in Mini Cooper or Scion iQ (?), having a higher COG may not be that bad as long as your COG stays within the tire track. However, with many front-heavy FWD where the engine is place forward than the front axle, the COG will shift out of the track once you do a hard-braking. But, that is my guess.
Old 03-22-2012, 01:04 AM   #1714
serialk11r

Drives: '06 AM V8V Coupe
Thanked 1,074 Times in 759 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
What do you mean shift out of the track? :O
I think low center of gravity is important for a road going car, because it allows you to enjoy the same level of grip with softer suspension and higher ride height. Remember, dropping this car 1 inch will give it lower center of gravity than an LFA! No doubt that this helps a little bit in ride comfort.
serialk11r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 07:15 AM   #1715
titusdrake
ex-First 86

Drives: 2013 Mustang
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fancisx View Post
Hi, everyone
First post in the forum and hope I am making a valid complain, after waking up at 6 every morning for the past week waiting for a BRZ price.

Came across this just now in auto week:

$23,100
2.0L 274 hp, 275 lb-ft turbocharged I4
RWD
3,362 lb
0 - 60 MPH: 4.8 sec
Fuel economy 24 MPG
LED headlights and taillights.

Guess what car is it? Genesis coupe 2.0.

If the BRZ price come sooner I may not have more second thought but after putting down my deposit and waited so long, it's giving me a lot of 2nd thoughts.
Korean muscle car, less power, looks terrible

/thread
titusdrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 10:59 AM   #1716
DanPO

Drives: Future BRZ owner
UM those 0-60 specs are WAY WRONG. Actually the new 2013 Genesis coupe 2.0T (because I just drove one) is still VERY slow. My 2011 Scion XB (stock) pulls harder from 0-60. Even though there is a 60hp increase it is the same 0-60 performance because it is over 100lbs heavier. I drove the 2012 2.0T R-spec and the 2013 2.0T base this week. Wasn't impressed. It is a great coupe if you want a coupe. HOWEVER, I also saw and sat in a BRZ this week too. It is a REAL sports car. It is way sexier, way sportier than a genesis coupe and I can't wait to drive it. This car defies specs on paper and pictures don't do justice.
DanPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 04:00 PM   #1717
Lonewolf

Drives: Moped
Thanked 2,128 Times in 1,193 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Here is a worthy reply to OP's post...

I took a dump this morning and it was awesome, what day is it again?

I know I left my keys somewhere....lessee what else, oh yeah, Corvettes are pretty fast, I hate my cable company...

and the OP is a very smart man....!

PS
: jkashdjasihdpuiybngfypeygfmygepgyupeqgnmeqgg kaka
Lonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 05:06 PM   #1718
zoomzoomers

Drives: 2013 Subaru SWP BRZ Limited 6AT
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indestruct View Post
under normal circumstances the Genesis would destroy Brz... But if we were racing downhill on Mt. Akina, the brz has a chance with it's 3 wheel drifto and imaginary lines...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranzformer View Post
I agree for someone who wants to auto-X/hit the track 2-3 weekends a month, the GC might be heavier than what you want. But for a fun DD, I don't see the issue. The weight fits right inline with its competitors if not a bit lighter than them by ~200-300 pounds (Mustang V6, Camaro V6, G37, Challenger...etc.). Not really in the same class as the BRZ performance/design wise, but it is price wise. For the segment the car is designed for, it really isn't overweight (GT type car). Sure it would be awesome if it was closer to 3000 lbs even. But that would require lighter weight materials which are more $$$. I think Hyundai has done a great job balancing cost and performance.

The next redesign for the coupe in '16/'17 will hopefully shed some weight and use its own chassis.

You know Zgrinch, I thought the same when I first saw it. But the looks have grown on me. I finally saw one this weekend in black and it looks very nice in person. I wouldn't totally cast it off by looks. But with most things, it is up to personal preference. Just might not be your thing, and that is ok.

Depends if the OP needs a back seat to fit a little person (i.e. a child). 370Z is a great car, but not the most practical if it is your only car. The GC at least gives you the sporty coupe, but still makes it somewhat useable on a daily basis.

For me, I actually like the new '13 GC over the old GC. The new one looks worlds better to me. Now looking back at the old one, it looks too much like a Tiburon to me. I like the more aggressive looks of the '13. YMMV.

Looks quite capable to me. Not sure what you mean by it leaning like a sailboat or the exhaust sounding like "crap." If you want to track, just get the R-Spec or the track package.

[u2b]EGVLRS2QPcE[/u2b]

[u2b]YzAzsA4SCBA[/u2b]

That new '13 GC 3.8 exhaust is heavenly for a stock exhaust. Have you heard it yet? Guess you don't like good sounding exhausts.

[u2b]dTdDP0Aai_c[/u2b]

The new manual transmission is worlds better than the old GC. Much better improvement, but it isn't completely refined. So I agree it isn't 100%.
I think we agree on a lot things with regards to the GC and in sports (sporty) cars in general.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanPO View Post
UM those 0-60 specs are WAY WRONG. Actually the new 2013 Genesis coupe 2.0T (because I just drove one) is still VERY slow. My 2011 Scion XB (stock) pulls harder from 0-60. Even though there is a 60hp increase it is the same 0-60 performance because it is over 100lbs heavier. I drove the 2012 2.0T R-spec and the 2013 2.0T base this week. Wasn't impressed. It is a great coupe if you want a coupe. HOWEVER, I also saw and sat in a BRZ this week too. It is a REAL sports car. It is way sexier, way sportier than a genesis coupe and I can't wait to drive it. This car defies specs on paper and pictures don't do justice.
Honestly, I had to laugh out loud when I read this. Are you serious??? Or are you showing off about the HOT ride you roll in??? Pulls harder than a xB? You've got to be kidding...

Like I've always said, let's not become like other forums out there. Let's stay true to the sport/hobby and give credit where it's due and not go trashing the competition with absurd statements like the one above.

State your opinions on subjective areas of cars/etc., but let's not get moronic...
Man Law#17:A man in the company of a hot, seductively dressed, woman MUST remain sober enough to fight!

MODS: AVO tubes + filter, Cusco (F) strut brace w/ MC brace, Perrin CBE, Subaru OEM trunk tray, Grimmspeed front license re-locator & hood struts and Beatsonic rear cam.
zoomzoomers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 06:20 PM   #1719
ftwrath

Drives: Hyundai Genesis V6 Track
Genny Owner... Really Like Brz

I have a 2011 Genesis V6 Track (Top Model) but I really like the look of the Brz.
however, head room? Im 6'4in and genny has tons of room.
no brembos?
Hp? Might be tough going from 300+ to only 200? Is it?
Anyone else thinking of switching?
I can't give a final answer until I take it for a drive. From just the look I do like it, wouldn't be sacrificing style that's for sure
ftwrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 06:37 PM   #1720
ZmZMWagon

Drives: MS3
Test Drove 2.0T Gen Coupe Automatic $26xxx

First time posting, but have been lurking for a little while. Im not sure why everyone is complaining about the price of the FRS. The 2.0 T Gen coupe might have more HP but after test driving it, the handling is nothing to write home about and the interior is not that spectacular. I felt my MS3 and wife's Infiniti G25 handled better for some reason. The weight of the 2013 Gen coupe was also a factor, it just feels and drives heavy.

For anyone thinking of getting the Gen Coupe just because of the HP, I suggest a long test drive. HP isn't everything, I learned this a long time ago when I gave up my Protege 5 for a more powerful car. Anyways, I think I am going to end up putting a deposit down for an FRS.

For the price, I don't think the Gen Coupe is that great of a value. The FRS/BRZ IMO is priced correctly.
ZmZMWagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 06:43 PM   #1721
86'd

Drives: 2012 WRX Sedan
Jack Hollis, is that you?
86'd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 06:46 PM   #1722
ZmZMWagon

Drives: MS3