follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 07-17-2014, 06:33 PM   #113
PHLonomenal

Drives: Whiteout 2014 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
cars.com editor refuses to buy FR-S because of scion badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by thill View Post

Interesting topic and I AM 43 and just bought one. I am 50/50 whether I will debadge the car to Toyota. On one hand I don't care what the car says because it's that good and if so why take the time and expense to debadge and rebadge. On the other hand ALL the heritage of this car is based in Toyota and IS INDEED a Toyota elsewhere. Also I get exhausted explaining what a Scion is after the quizzical looks. IDK...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-17-2014, 06:35 PM   #114
tahdizzle
So elite I'm 1338

Drives: WRB Subaru BRZ
Thanked 1,934 Times in 982 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Garage
We really need a Zombie Emoticon for forums :p
tahdizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tahdizzle For This Useful Post:
Mad1723 (07-18-2014)
Old 07-17-2014, 06:47 PM   #115
hanabie

Drives: WRB LMTD '13
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
OP, you could always rebadge to BRZ and keep your pritty front end.

A true story: Someone working at gas station asked me if BRZ comes with turbo. Nope same as FRS. You have been misinformed.
I bought BRZ because of extra package on the limited. Will I buy FRS if they offer something I like? Definitely! because I love this car.

You are driving fking twins! what do you expect?
Old 07-17-2014, 06:57 PM   #116
Dave-ROR
Site Moderator

Drives: Stuff
Thanked 5,965 Times in 2,689 Posts
Mentioned: 262 Post(s)
Tagged: 8 Thread(s)
I buy my cars with a specific brand just so I get more respect.

Ok maybe not because I really don't give a rats ass what others think. :shrug:
Tow: 2022 F-450
Toys: 2001 Chevrolet Corvette Z06, 1993 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1994 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
Parts: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited, 2005 Acura TSX
Projects: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited track car build
FS: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 LT CCSB 8.1/Allison with 99k miles
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 07:05 PM   #117
JesseE

Drives: LS Swapped BRZ
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezoris View Post
Cheap labor, low taxes, cost cutting, always will be consequences.
I love the guys swapping badges off the Scion. It's like seriously, you aint fooling no one.

Your wrong... I fool everyone... even car guys, they all think, what kinda of Toyota is this?
JesseE is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JesseE For This Useful Post:
JohnJuan (07-18-2014), NIN69 (07-17-2014)
Old 07-18-2014, 12:58 PM   #118
Dezoris

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 2,997 Times in 1,095 Posts
Mentioned: 159 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseE View Post
Your wrong... I fool everyone... even car guys, they all think, what kinda of Toyota is this?

Miata hardtop
Old 07-18-2014, 01:19 PM   #119
Cliu91
Cliuless

Drives: Whiteout Scion FRS 2014
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
I'm having a hard time deciding if I should rebadge my Scion to Toyota or not. On one-hand I think that it would be cool to bring attention to the Toyota brand. On the other hand I want to help build the Scion brand and help make it worth something.

If you think about it, Toyota hasn't exactly been the most notorious for sportscars in the past decade or two. Nowadays when you think Toyota, you think Corolla, safety, Prius, Sienna, budget, etc. So if you re-badge it Toyota, car enthusiasts will know this is just a rebadged Scion, and those who aren't car enthusiasts will just say "it's just a Toyota.".

So in the end, you ain't fooling no one, and if you do fool someone, they probably don't know/don't care.
Cliu91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 02:41 PM   #120
thill

Drives: 2020 SS1LE (previous 13 BRZ owner)
Thanked 1,463 Times in 802 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliu91 View Post
I'm having a hard time deciding if I should rebadge my Scion to Toyota or not. On one-hand I think that it would be cool to bring attention to the Toyota brand. On the other hand I want to help build the Scion brand and help make it worth something.

If you think about it, Toyota hasn't exactly been the most notorious for sportscars in the past decade or two. Nowadays when you think Toyota, you think Corolla, safety, Prius, Sienna, budget, etc. So if you re-badge it Toyota, car enthusiasts will know this is just a rebadged Scion, and those who aren't car enthusiasts will just say "it's just a Toyota.".

So in the end, you ain't fooling no one, and if you do fool someone, they probably don't know/don't care.
If you are going to rebadge it, I say go big or go home..

Lexus LFA
Aston Martin
Ferrari

Or really throw them off. Throw a Seat or Skoda, or Opel badge on there and some European plates...
thill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 09:20 PM   #121
jester04

Drives: Subaru impreza STI, subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Op don't worry about it, half the people that ask me about my car ask if its the scion when in fact its a limited brz lol.
jester04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 02:40 PM   #122
wlfpck

Drives: 2015 GTI
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I think it boils down to the "enthusiasts associated with the brand".

The scion tC (gen 1) was out for a while before the FR-S came out. You could probably use "The world of tCs" as a good example of the failure of American education.

I think that most people that do have a problem with the scion badge on the FR-S is because they don't want to be associated with the scion tC people.

In all honesty, out of all the various "enthusiast cars", I think the scion tC is by far the worst. There are of course a few good apples, but the majority of them are ignorant and think that a tC with an intake can take on a full bolt on civic SI. There are regular threads of street racing where they "killed" a car that is way faster.

Take a look at the GTR forums or even forums such as golfmk6, Nasioc, etc.

For the most part, people use correct, legible English. Then take a look at all the scion forums. It's a absolute crap shoot where some posts, you question if the thread starter has the IQ of cheese.

I'm not saying everyone needs to have an expensive car. People can carry themselves in a way that is respectable. Not have a car filled with trash, shoddily fit parts, etc. is part of it. How a person behaves at a car meet goes along with this too.

Not saying that the other forums don't have the same type of people... but... it is very predominant with the Scion tC. As a result, to the people who are not as into cars, the Scion badge can be stereotyped. They might not know the difference between the Fr-s and the tC but they will always be able to pick up on the "Scion" part.

Sure it's unfair to judge a FR-S owner simply by the fact that he has a "Scion" badge (read: I do not judge FR-S owners), but the fact is that there is a stereotype to the Scion brand. Just like a stereotype with the Audi and BMW brand.

Negative stereotypes are very easy to form.

Maybe the car journalist is from an area with a lot of scion tC owners and really didn't want to be associated. Who knows.