follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 07-23-2012, 11:00 PM   #57
Swift
I just Drive.

Drives: in the womb still
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I could be wrong about this but I believe anything over 98 decibels can cause damage to the ear drums. Most race cars are restricted at the track to like 96 I thought

-92' Acura Legend 5spd coupe twin turbo project
Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 11:12 PM   #58
dabocx

Drives: Scion FRS
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift View Post
I could be wrong about this but I believe anything over 98 decibels can cause damage to the ear drums. Most race cars are restricted at the track to like 96 I thought
Depends on the way the track measures, how far from the car exc exc

Last edited by dabocx; 07-23-2012 at 11:27 PM.
dabocx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 11:20 PM   #59
Tainen

Drives: First SWP BRZ-L
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Yeah. This was 90db in the cabin. Most tracks measure 30 ft away. Very different.

edit: he used a real dB meter, had to edit for accuracy. thanks UncleFester!

Last edited by Tainen; 07-24-2012 at 01:26 PM.
Tainen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 01:47 AM   #60
NOBROWS

Drives: 2013 FIRESTORM FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
mine will be here friday i cant wait!

Motivate 2 Hate Motorsports
NOBROWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 10:33 AM   #61
UncleFester

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift View Post
You're right.

My ears would hurt (literally) after a 30min commute with an average speed of 70mph.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tainen View Post
Yeah. This was 90db in the cabin, with a cell phone app meter. Most tracks measure 30 ft away. Very different.
My measurements were taken with an Extech digital meter, not a cell phone app. Although I do have an Android app made my Smart Tools that also showed readings within this range.

There is still a possibility that something is wrong with the product I received. That has not been ruled out. I'm simply posting my experience with this product.

It may not be a coincidence that the big name manufacturers are incorporating the midpipe and using a straight through design.

Last edited by UncleFester; 07-24-2012 at 10:57 AM.
UncleFester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 10:43 AM   #62
TrickyFrenchman

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
So, are we saying the axle back is much louder than the videos implied even after re-installing the spare, etc.? I am really interested in this system and was close to making the call, but if I can't hear the person sitting in the seat beside me in normal conversation, I don't know that it's for me. Would like to hear from Nameless on the issue, or others who have installed it.
TrickyFrenchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 10:57 AM   #63
fsevofq400

Drives: Coming - ZC6 MT, SWP Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleFester View Post
I think you're right.

My ears would hurt (literally) after a 30min commute with an average speed of 70mph.

My measurements were taken with an Extech digital meter that has an accuracy range of 40 to 130 dB, not a cell phone app.
I think that's a much better measurement compare to others.
same location same condition. Too bad you didn't take a measurement before the install, be very interested how it compares to stock

I really can't imagine the exhaust sound making ears hurt, and I've driven some loud ones too.
Maybe it's a matter to be raised to Nameless? I mean after all it's not labeled as a "RACE" exhaust

Tainen, did you feel the same way?
fsevofq400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 12:12 PM   #64
SemperFi

Drives: Its a scion....FRS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I heard the axel back in person over the weekend, and it was quiet to me. Although I came from an 04 and 08 R32 which sound like beast at times. This sounded like a tame mellow sound.
Old 07-24-2012, 12:58 PM   #65
Tainen

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsevofq400 View Post
I think that's a much better measurement compare to others.
same location same condition. Too bad you didn't take a measurement before the install, be very interested how it compares to stock

I really can't imagine the exhaust sound making ears hurt, and I've driven some loud ones too.
Maybe it's a matter to be raised to Nameless? I mean after all it's not labeled as a "RACE" exhaust

Tainen, did you feel the same way?

No, I did not. I've got some ear damage from being a drummer for 16+ years, and loudness bothers me a LOT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrickyFrenchman View Post
So, are we saying the axle back is much louder than the videos implied even after re-installing the spare, etc.? I am really interested in this system and was close to making the call, but if I can't hear the person sitting in the seat beside me in normal conversation, I don't know that it's for me. Would like to hear from Nameless on the issue, or others who have installed it.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_GhVCzVcdE"]Nameless Performance AxleBack Exhaust - YouTube[/ame]

As you can see here, this video is with the axleback and downpipe together. WingsofWar and I can have conversations while I am at WOT... and th video can even pick up the conversation, no problem. The axleback by itself is quietter than this setup, as well.

I appreciate the lower volume of this axleback, because when you start to do the more aggressive mods like downpipe and headers, it doesn't get insanely loud. With the downpipe, it does sound more aggressive, as you see in the video. With the headers, it gets louder. A little above my threshold for loudness, to be honest- but my threshold is pretty low, due to my hearing damage/concern.

The biggest single variable in exhaust loudness is the axleback. So when you start adding other parts and it increases in volume, having a good, muffled axleback is the most important part for loudness.

Hope that answers folks questions. If this unit isn't loud enough for you, I'd suggest the race pipe. I know nameless is running their full headers, downpipe, and everything with the race pipe, and they love it. It's crazy loud, but some people like that. Hence all the blitz nurspec's sold in the WRX/STI world. crazy mofos
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tainen For This Useful Post:
fsevofq400 (07-24-2012), jwuwu (07-24-2012)
Old 07-24-2012, 01:15 PM   #66
UncleFester

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrickyFrenchman View Post
The volume in the cabin is acceptable with everything in the trunk like it came from the factory.

Assuming the test car still had everything in the trunk, l think the posted videos are accurate and the exhaust is as advertised.

The exhaust is nice, deep, and mellow on the outside of the car. It would pass a track test any day. It's just the interior noise, especially between 2-3k rpm, but I only notice it with an empty trunk. Besides, most people probably don't cruise around with everything removed from the trunk. The only reason I do is because I race nearly every weekend in either my STI or my FRS, and it's just easier for me

Perhaps this Friday I will reinstall the stock exhaust and meter it both ways. That way we have the full spectrum. I'm sure it's a lack of sound deadening above and around the location of the mufflers.

Last edited by UncleFester; 07-24-2012 at 01:34 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to UncleFester For This Useful Post:
TrickyFrenchman (07-24-2012)
Old 07-24-2012, 01:17 PM   #67
Tainen

Quote:
The volume in the cabin is acceptable with everything in the trunk like it came from the factory.

Assuming the test car still had everything in the trunk, l think the posted videos are accurate and the exhaust is as advertised.
Yes sir, test car had all the junk in the trunk.

Thank you so very much for posting dB testing figures! You rock @UncleFester. Super helpful to other forum members. Gosh, if only I could get my hands on a dB meter for the full catless header/overpipe/catted downpipe/axleback... that'd be really great comparison numbers. It's definitely a good bit louder.

Quote:
You're right.

There is still a possibility that something is wrong with the product I received. That has not been ruled out. I'm simply posting my experience with this product.

It may not be a coincidence that the big name manufacturers are incorporating the midpipe and using a straight through design.

What do you think would be wrong with the product? It looks good, less welds than mine has, and it's not loud. Just curious.

Last edited by Tainen; 07-24-2012 at 01:30 PM.
Tainen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 01:39 PM   #68
UncleFester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tainen View Post
What do you think would be wrong with the product? It looks good, less welds than mine has, and it's not loud. Just curious.
That is a disclaimer. Nameless may have a different opinion on these results. I don't think anything is wrong with it, but since I can't really see inside it I thought it would be prudent to say. I try not to assume anything.
Old 07-24-2012, 01:44 PM   #69
Tainen

Quote:
That is a disclaimer. Nameless may have a different opinion on these results. I don't think anything is wrong with it, but since I can't really see inside it I thought it would be prudent to say. I try not to assume anything.
ah. ok. I'd imagine since they hand build every single muffler, issues with the muffler packing or welding would be easy for them to spot. If the welds look good without any cracks, I bet you're solid.

Hey when you do your dB measurements, do you also notice a drop off in volume after 4500rpm? I've got that taper, if you do as well, I'm betting the systems are performing fairly similarly. If you have a leak or a muffler with less packing, it'd probably just get a ton louder.
Old 07-24-2012, 01:46 PM   #70
Mild2Wild

Drives: Firestorm FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Can anyone who has just the axleback compare it to any other modified cars that are more prevalent? I'm itching to buy but the loudness concerns me. For example, for those of you who know Hondas would this be closer to k20 skunk2 exhaust or a mugen twinloop? Droning on the highway between 60-75mph is obnoxious and seeing as I'm a classical musician, damaging my hearing (as I think skunk2 did) is not an option...
Mild2Wild is offline   Reply With Quote