follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 08-23-2013, 09:04 AM   #1
meeskee2

Drives: World Rally Blue BRZ Limited, MT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Road Debris

BRZ + truck tire (tread) + 50 MPH = not good!!
Attached Images

"Some guys think that having a better car makes them better than other guys, and those guys are right." -Top Gear
meeskee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 09:12 AM   #2
ericmpena

Drives: Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Garage
Ugh, that pisses me off so much! I commute 30 minutes to work and I come across at least 3 large pieces of tire debris every day. I'm always worried this happening to me.
ericmpena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 09:17 AM   #3
sklimo
Banned

Drives: 2013 Supercharged SSM BRZ Limited
Thanked 12,901 Times in 5,671 Posts
Mentioned: 316 Post(s)
Tagged: 12 Thread(s)
Garage
Sorry bro
sklimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 09:18 AM   #4
meeskee2

Drives: World Rally Blue BRZ Limited, MT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
yeah I agree, The car in front of me hit it just right and it landed right in my path, I had no time to react, Sucks!

Thankfully it only appears to be the bumper cover and some Under carriage plastic

"Some guys think that having a better car makes them better than other guys, and those guys are right." -Top Gear
meeskee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 09:40 AM   #5
Anthony
Weight Nazi

Drives: 13 FRS -399lb, 11 335is, 05 Tiburon
Thanked 3,712 Times in 1,765 Posts
Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Man, I had this same thing happen to me when my Tiburon was 6 months new. Car hit it and it bounced erratically like a football right into my bumper at the last second. It looked just like yours now but with an obliterated fog light too.

Hope the repair goes well!

Build Thread | The Venus Project | Any car which holds together for a whole race is too heavy.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 10:33 AM   #6
Scoobybrz

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Ouch!! This is one of my fears.
Scoobybrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 10:38 AM   #7
whaap

Drives: '13 FR-S firestorm, 6 mt - '11 CR-V
Thanked 1,387 Times in 657 Posts
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeskee2 View Post
yeah I agree, The car in front of me hit it just right and it landed right in my path, I had no time to react, Sucks!

Thankfully it only appears to be the bumper cover and some Under carriage plastic
In case you didn't know; if the tire is laying in the road and you hit it, it's a collision loss and your collision deductible is applied. If it is moving (a missile) and hits your car, it is considered a comprehensive loss and most of us carry a smaller deductible under comprehensive. In addition to that I've never known of a comprehensive claim to have any impact on your rates. If in doubt, check with your agent.
whaap is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to whaap For This Useful Post:
Ganthrithor (08-23-2013), meeskee2 (08-23-2013)
Old 08-23-2013, 10:45 AM   #8
slawdio
ON SALE

Drives: '13 WRB BRZ Premium
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by whaap View Post
In case you didn't know; if the tire is laying in the road and you hit it, it's a collision loss and your collision deductible is applied. If it is moving (a missile) and hits your car, it is considered a comprehensive loss and most of us carry a smaller deductible under comprehensive...
...Unfortunately, I think he's right...
slawdio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 10:48 AM   #9
ZionsWrath
Thanks

Thanked 3,100 Times in 1,498 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by whaap View Post
In case you didn't know; if the tire is laying in the road and you hit it, it's a collision loss and your collision deductible is applied. If it is moving (a missile) and hits your car, it is considered a comprehensive loss and most of us carry a smaller deductible under comprehensive. In addition to that I've never known of a comprehensive claim to have any impact on your rates. If in doubt, check with your agent.
Off topic but a quick question. A school bus making a turn bumped my rear bumper and left some scratches and paint transfer. Being it was a school bus there was a police report. I never intended to make a claim but my insurance called a few weeks later somehow they knew about it. So I told them what happened and I didn't want to make a claim or anything that's why I didn't report it. They said I have to report ALL accidents.

So say I had another accident or something would this one factor into insurance premium increase or anything like that.
ZionsWrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 10:54 AM   #10
Kimsey47

Drives: 2016 STI DGM
Thanked 1,460 Times in 662 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
This goes back to what I preach on a soap box constantly... Companies should legally have to have identifiers on their truck tires (more so for those retreads) so that if crap like this happens they are legally liable and also hit up for littering. I wonder how much of our tax dollars go towards picking up this crap every year, let alone the damage related to it! They need to clean this crap up... Not the front end of our vehicles.

Also, sorry OP... I have small knicks in my own car from small pieces being picked up and tossed into the front of the car but have been blessed to avoid the big pieces like you hit. Hope you're able to get it repaired without much $$$ and time lost.
Old 08-23-2013, 11:18 AM   #11
whaap

Drives: '13 FR-S firestorm, 6 mt - '11 CR-V
Thanked 1,387 Times in 657 Posts
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZionsWrath View Post
Off topic but a quick question. A school bus making a turn bumped my rear bumper and left some scratches and paint transfer. Being it was a school bus there was a police report. I never intended to make a claim but my insurance called a few weeks later somehow they knew about it. So I told them what happened and I didn't want to make a claim or anything that's why I didn't report it. They said I have to report ALL accidents.

So say I had another accident or something would this one factor into insurance premium increase or anything like that.
Keep in mind I've been retired from being in insurance claims since 1989 so I can't say that things haven't changed since then but it was written in the policy that all accidents must be reported to your insurance company. The reason is quite simple. The average person driving a car doesn't know the difference between civil and criminal law. They might be involved in an accident and (this is hypothetical) the police might say that the other person is at fault. From a civil law (insurance) point of view that might not be true. There's a good chance your company could be facing a liability claim and not be aware of it because you failed to report it. They want to know of any and all events that happen so they can eliminate any chances of being caught off guard. I'll give a good example. You're at an open residential intersection and a car coming from your left hits your car. The police are called and write the report saying the other guy failed to yield the right-of-way. In fact, they give the guy a ticket. You might then think you're in the clear but that's possibly not so. It's all a matter of negligence and some would say if the car on the left had the opportunity to see you and didn't, what was your excuse for not seeing him and preventing the accident. It would be a big factor if his passenger was seriously injured. It would be assumed that his passenger was free of negligence and if that passenger could place any negligence on you, you (your company) would be at least partially liable to that passenger as would his driver. It can get very sticky.
whaap is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to whaap For This Useful Post:
Ganthrithor (08-23-2013), ZionsWrath (08-23-2013)
Old 08-23-2013, 11:21 AM   #12
BRZfan

Drives: 2013BRZ Premium St Silver Metallic
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
State troopers try to prevent these type of accidents by stopping trucks that have safety issues such as overloading, cargo not secured, etc, but it is an impossible task to check them all. Hopefully much of this is done at weight checks on the interstates. I am always happy when I see a tractor trailer pulled over and a trooper is checking them out.

I don't disagree with you on your suggestion for tire "identifiers" but we now have so much regulation it becomes insanity. For me, I keep a very safe distance from the vehicle in front of me especially if it is a big SUV or van and if it is a semi (tractor-trailer) even greater caution and passing the semi at the first opportunity is paramount. I would love to follow an FRS/BRZ since I can generally see ahead of them as well. AND if they are going fast, even better, they will be my "point man" keeping me out of danger. These types of driving techniques have helped me immensely having put over 400,000 miles on motorbikes over the years without any road mishaps.

For all of you insurance agents maybe the insurance companies you represent should spend some time and do some policing yourselves: Like making random checks on trucks individually or at weight stations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimsey47 View Post
This goes back to what I preach on a soap box constantly... Companies should legally have to have identifiers on their truck tires (more so for those retreads) so that if crap like this happens they are legally liable and also hit up for littering. I wonder how much of our tax dollars go towards picking up this crap every year, let alone the damage related to it! They need to clean this crap up... Not the front end of our vehicles.

Also, sorry OP... I have small knicks in my own car from small pieces being picked up and tossed into the front of the car but have been blessed to avoid the big pieces like you hit. Hope you're able to get it repaired without much $$$ and time lost.

Last edited by BRZfan; 08-23-2013 at 11:41 AM.
BRZfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 11:28 AM   #13
Kimsey47

Drives: 2016 STI DGM
Thanked 1,460 Times in 662 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZfan View Post
State troopers try to do this by stopping trucks that have safety issues such as overloading, cargo not secured, etc, but it is an impossible task to check them all.
Hopefully much of this is done at weight checks on the interstates.

I am always happy when I see a tractor trailer pulled over and a trooper is checking them out.
Yeah, that all sounds good but the transport industry themselves need to take responsibilty for this. The amount of "gator tails" on the roads, and the side of the road is out of hand. I was always in shock when I came back to the US when I lived in Europe. The 2 hour drive home from ATL was nearly always completely lined with tire scraps. Not only are they dangerous, but they're upright litter. I can understand a blow out every now and then, but the amount this happens is out of hand.
Old 08-23-2013, 11:32 AM   #14
ZionsWrath
Thanks

Thanked 3,100 Times in 1,498 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZfan View Post
State troopers try to do this by stopping trucks that have safety issues such as overloading, cargo not secured, etc, but it is an impossible task to check them all.
Hopefully much of this is done at weight checks on the interstates.

I am always happy when I see a tractor trailer pulled over and a trooper is checking them out.
I was driving cross country and was near a tractor trailer. Heard one of his tires blow out. I quickly passed him and honked him a bunch of times but he had no idea. Hope he pulled over before it shredded in front of someone, but I doubt it.
ZionsWrath is offline   Reply With Quote