follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 04-24-2014, 02:22 PM   #1
fooddude
Banned

Drives: 04 Toyota Tacoma Prerunner Reg Cab
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Any Stock Catback Exhaust Soundclips? w/ aftermarket header + op + catless fp

I want to know what a full aftermarket header back exhaust would sound like, sans the stock muffler.

Preferably: Aftermarket high-flow catted uel header (like the ft86sf header), aftermarket op, aftermarket non-catted non-resonated fp...but all this with a stock cat-back exhaust.

I want the flow..I want the extra power... but I want it super quiet, close as possible to the stock sound levels and to stick with the stock exhaust.

I know there are many aftermarket exhausts out there that are on the quieter side (perrin, q300, etc.) and I know some will reply with an aftermarket quiet exhaust suggestion. But I am not interested and they're still not bone stock super quiet. Only interested using the stock exhaust and changing out everything else. So please stay on topic and no suggestions of aftermarket exhausts.

I am just interested in any videos/soundclips of the stock exhaust combined with various/any/all aftermarket header/op/fp combinations.

fooddude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 02:36 PM   #2
tahdizzle
So elite I'm 1338

Drives: WRB Subaru BRZ
Thanked 1,934 Times in 982 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Garage
there is a video clip of a ft86 catted UEL w/ OP/FP combo on stock muffler.

its on the FT86 catted UEL thread.
tahdizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 02:46 PM   #3
SirBrass
Trust me, I'm the Doctor

Drives: 2019 WRX Limited (WRB)
Thanked 1,251 Times in 781 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Stock muffler is quite inadequate to quiet down the exhaust sound from an aftermarket header through front pipe setup. It'll SOUND stock at idle (after it cycles out of cold start), but that's about the only time it will sound stock. And at high revs you'll really hear how inadequate the stock muffler is.

^GT5 Replay Photo Mode^
SirBrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 04:23 PM   #4
toeout

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Here is a REALLY quiet option - giant Magnaflow muffler. I have a catless Nameless header and with OE overpipe and FP it is whisper quiet throughout the rev range. Muffler, tip and labor was $200.

toeout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 04:37 PM   #5
FRSoxfan

Drives: 2007 Lotus Exige S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I personally don't mind the stock muffler. I'm running drop in aFe dry filter, OFT E85 stage 2 map, borla UEL headers and borla cat delete pipe (FP/OP combo). This is mine doing a 2nd gear drive by. Also, absolutely zero drone. Only gnarly when you are WOT. Had to put the Perrin tips on though because those stock tips are wayyyyy too small.
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYwKFBJjn6A"]IMG 0785 - YouTube[/ame]
FRSoxfan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FRSoxfan For This Useful Post:
fooddude (04-25-2014)
Old 04-24-2014, 07:05 PM   #6
F1fletch

Drives: 13 FR-S AT
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by toeout View Post
Here is a REALLY quiet option - giant Magnaflow muffler. I have a catless Nameless header and with OE overpipe and FP it is whisper quiet throughout the rev range. Muffler, tip and labor was $200.

Would like to hear this, seems a great option for single exit. Which Magnaflow muffler is that?
F1fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 07:30 PM   #7
toeout

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1fletch View Post
Would like to hear this, seems a great option for single exit. Which Magnaflow muffler is that?

It's the 12586 http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/s...=main&id=11595

I didn't take any sound clips, since it wasn't the final configuration. I'm in the process of putting Motiv OP and catted FP on it along with JDL UEL.

This particular muffler is very popular among turbo'ed Miata crowd.
toeout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 09:54 PM   #8
JimmyMac

Drives: 2013 FR-S, 2016 Miata Club
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
I don't have any sound clips, but I'm running the P&L uncatted EL header, with P&L 2.5 OP and P&L 2.5 catted FP all with the stock catback. The only time you hear the car is when you get on it. You'll hear the header. Once you let off and just cruise, you won't hear anything. They can't even hear me pulling down the road at home. Other than that it's awesome. No highway drone at 70+ mph. You can hold a conversation and my phone can even hear me when I'm doing speech to text. Much better than when I ran this setup with my Invidia N1 catback. That gave me head aches on road trips with full exhaust. That's why I pulled it. With stock catback, startup will be a little loud, but goes back to quiet once the idle drops down. I'm very satisfied with keeping this setup. I just need to get some new exhaust tips. I shouldn't have sold my JDM tips a year and a half ago!! hehe I'd like to find a way to record it sometime.
JimmyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JimmyMac For This Useful Post:
fooddude (04-25-2014)
Old 04-25-2014, 12:15 AM   #9
fooddude
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahdizzle View Post
there is a video clip of a ft86 catted UEL w/ OP/FP combo on stock muffler.

its on the FT86 catted UEL thread.
I always read that thread..yes, I've seen the videos many times with ft86sf header + stock exh..but it had a stock fp too. I don't think there's one with the ft86sf header + aftermarket uncatted fp + stock exh. The one with their header + aftermarket fp, is with an aftermarket exh too iirc.

Last edited by fooddude; 04-25-2014 at 01:26 AM.
Old 04-25-2014, 12:18 AM   #10
fooddude
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSoxfan View Post
I personally don't mind the stock muffler. I'm running drop in aFe dry filter, OFT E85 stage 2 map, borla UEL headers and borla cat delete pipe (FP/OP combo). This is mine doing a 2nd gear drive by. Also, absolutely zero drone. Only gnarly when you are WOT. Had to put the Perrin tips on though because those stock tips are wayyyyy too small.
Are those headers uncatted? Doesn't sound bad at all; I like its' unique sound ..but it is a tad loud. I assume you are completely catless, both header and fp, ya?

I'm sure with a catted header, even with the uncatted fp, it will be much quieter. All you really need is 1 cat anyways to keep the rasp down (as in all pre 90s cars).

Nice tho..I dig the stock exh
Old 04-25-2014, 09:21 AM   #11
FRSoxfan

Drives: 2007 Lotus Exige S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fooddude View Post
Are those headers uncatted? Doesn't sound bad at all; I like its' unique sound ..but it is a tad loud. I assume you are completely catless, both header and fp, ya?

I'm sure with a catted header, even with the uncatted fp, it will be much quieter. All you really need is 1 cat anyways to keep the rasp down (as in all pre 90s cars).

Nice tho..I dig the stock exh
Thanks man! Yup, uncatted headers, no cats at all on my setup. It's a little stinky but liveable. I agree with you that one high flow cat will def tone down the rasp.
FRSoxfan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FRSoxfan For This Useful Post:
fooddude (04-25-2014)
Old 08-11-2016, 06:18 PM   #12
Aztec
Lost in the twisties

Drives: 2014 BRZ Dark Gray Metallic
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Check it out, I love the sound. I think the Stock catback is just fine paired with Berk OP/FP and UEL Header
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYv5TMGmz_s"]UEL+Berk OP+Berk catted FP+ stock catback - YouTube[/ame]
Aztec is offline   Reply With Quote