follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 09-24-2012, 04:33 PM   #701
rapidcars

Drives: 2013 DGM BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
UPDATE: ECU that was supposed to come today was the wrong one so they're waiting for the updated one but no definite ETA. They said end of the week but who knows at this point based on what others here are reporting.
rapidcars is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rapidcars For This Useful Post:
ftc~brz (09-25-2012)
Old 09-24-2012, 07:11 PM   #702
HATED1

Drives: 86
Thanked 1,045 Times in 443 Posts
Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Garage
Official Fix as of 09/24/2012 for code P0019

So my car pulled a check engine light and traction control light today for the second time in 5 days. Took it to the dealership, pulled the code, new ECU is on it's way. Code cleared, drove home. 2,8xx miles on the ODO.
HATED1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 07:11 PM   #703
Sean K.

Drives: 2008 Lotus Elise SC
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mact View Post
My vin is 6030XX with 800 miles, no problems so far.
Thanks....hoping ours is the same way. Fingers crossed.
Sean K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 07:12 PM   #704
Sean K.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapidcars View Post
It's a great car and as long as they can fix it permanently I don't regret the decision. Mines been in a shop for a week now and I should have it back soon.
Thanks for the feedback....this looks to be a helluva nice car...just a little nervous after reading of the CEL problem.
Old 09-24-2012, 07:16 PM   #705
Sean K.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goincarcrazy View Post
I would say get the car. Although we don't really know how many of these are going down outside of the forums, they've made something around 8000 of these cars combined already, and if 100 are down on this forum, that's a very small percent. I am personally holding off for 2014, but the odds are on your side that it'll be a good one with no problems.

As far as the warranty goes, Toyota's come with a 5yr 100K powertrain warranty anyway, so if that's all you were getting the added warranty for, you can eliminate that.

Ya, but conversely.....the forum isn't very representative of the overall market, so 100 cars out of what's on the forum is a bigger percentage than it might first appear.

The Subaru comes with a 5 year/60K powertrain.....but the warranty we got is bumper to bumper for 5/100K. An ECU wouldn't be covered under powertrain and if $2300 is the price, it would SUCK to pay that out of pocket.

Sean
Old 09-24-2012, 07:17 PM   #706
Sean K.

Quote:
Originally Posted by @Art_Mighty View Post
Sean,

From what I understand from everything I've read, the failure rate is hovering around 5-7%. My dealer has sold 17 cars and I'm the only one to come back with the issue so there's a pretty good chance you'll be ok.

And if you are affected, check-in here so we can all communicate with each other (and know that if its broke, your in good company)

Will do, Art. I read all 32 pages yesterday....read until my eyes bled, LOL. You've been very helpful on the forum here.....Kudos to you for that.

Much appreciated.

Sean
Old 09-24-2012, 07:20 PM   #707
Sean K.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cade01 View Post
"Haven't gotten the car yet; it's being traded by my local dealer here in Phoenix to one in Glendale b/c they need a Premium and my wife wanted the Limited. We are paying the shipping to swap the cars."

Is it just me or did this sound wrong? If each lot needs what the other has, the customer shouldn't have to cover the shipping... I would tell them to get bent.
Well, the dealer "claims" he's splitting the cost with us....I'm not sure I agree. Our "half" of the cost to ship is $750. I've checked into shipping cars and from here to CA isn't that expensive.....especially if it's going via a regular shipment anyway.

There's all kinds of hokey stuff going on with these cars though....like dealers trying to get $7K markup over MSRP.

But....it's ENTIRELY possible that you are a much better negotiator than I am as well.
Old 09-24-2012, 07:30 PM   #708
@Art_Mighty
uosɹǝdʎɐl ʇɹǝdxǝ

Drives: Asphalt AVO FR-S w/a Slushbox! :P
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean K. View Post
Will do, Art. I read all 32 pages yesterday....read until my eyes bled, LOL. You've been very helpful on the forum here.....Kudos to you for that.

Much appreciated.

Sean
This thread is kinda like group therapy for all of us.

With each thread were getting closer to understanding the issue. As long as we communicate with each other we'll get to the bottom of this togeather...

...because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn
@Art_Mighty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to @Art_Mighty For This Useful Post:
ftc~brz (09-25-2012)
Old 09-24-2012, 07:39 PM   #709
jduffy

Drives: BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by @Art_Mighty View Post
Sean,

From what I understand from everything I've read, the failure rate is hovering around 5-7%. Redacted ....
That number sounds high. I believe it's less than 1%.
jduffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 07:58 PM   #710
@Art_Mighty
uosɹǝdʎɐl ʇɹǝdxǝ

Drives: Asphalt AVO FR-S w/a Slushbox! :P
Quote:
Originally Posted by jduffy View Post
That number sounds high. I believe it's less than 1%.
So the number comes from some forum posts oversees (especially the Australians). There were a few sources throwing around a number of 300-400 cars affected world wide; at the time the number of cars produced was around 6000ish. There's still affected engines that are working themselves thru the supply chain so I expect the number to increase for a while and then stop completely.

The other thing I read was that Toyota had put a "Stop Sale" on the cars and then notices have started popping up ment for dealers in the UK and Australia that shipments of the 86 were being delayed anywhere from 2 to 12 months depending on the package. I think their retooling something.

...because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn
@Art_Mighty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to @Art_Mighty For This Useful Post:
rapidcars (09-24-2012)
Old 09-24-2012, 08:06 PM   #711
Cade01

Drives: '13 White FR-S, 09 Triumph St.3 R
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Well, the dealer "claims" he's splitting the cost with us....I'm not sure I agree. Our "half" of the cost to ship is $750. I've checked into shipping cars and from here to CA isn't that expensive.....especially if it's going via a regular shipment anyway.

There's all kinds of hokey stuff going on with these cars though....like dealers trying to get $7K markup over MSRP.

But....it's ENTIRELY possible that you are a much better negotiator than I am as well.
I would tell them they need to find a new sucker and go to dealership that treats you well. The dealer I am working with was trying to see if they could trade with another without any mention of me paying, and if they tried to slip it in on the papers I would walk. I would definitely look at another place. $0.02
Cade01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cade01 For This Useful Post:
eurospeed (09-28-2012)
Old 09-24-2012, 08:16 PM   #712
Ninjin

Drives: SWP BRZ 6MT
Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quote:

This is off-topic, but...

I don't know your situation but it sounds like you went to Camelback Subaru (they called me last week because there was an unspoken for Premium MT) and they traded with Peoria Subaru. Those Peoria guys were asking for a $2,000 markup on their website, I wonder if your dealer had to hand over some cash to grease the wheels with them. Typically 45 minutes of a low-ranking guy's time to drive across town and back does not cost $1500. Nor would doing it on a transporter.
Ninjin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ninjin For This Useful Post:
ftc~brz (09-25-2012)
Old 09-24-2012, 08:24 PM   #713
Cade01

Drives: '13 White FR-S, 09 Triumph St.3 R
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjin View Post
This is off-topic, but...

I don't know your situation but it sounds like you went to Camelback Subaru (they called me last week because there was an unspoken for Premium MT) and they traded with Peoria Subaru. Those Peoria guys were asking for a $2,000 markup on their website, I wonder if your dealer had to hand over some cash to grease the wheels with them. Typically 45 minutes of a low-ranking guy's time to drive across town and back does not cost $1500. Nor would doing it on a transporter.
Not to mention that with Scion's Pure Price, dealerships can get in trouble for making up their cars from what I understand. I am going to stand by what I said, if they won't give it to you for Scion's price, just walk. And maybe let a Scion rep know what they are doing.
Cade01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 08:32 PM   #714
Yruyur

Drives: Scion fr-s asphalt M/T
Thanked 1,631 Times in 941 Posts
Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Called scion today to see if they can comp me for the cel issue and laundry list of items that I still have. They said they could escalate the issue to their sec and tier as soon as I have the other items looked into...again. Seat belt with cell phone issue, shifter rattle, auto window passenger button etc.

Now I have to remove my pulley and Visconti tune to bring it back to them. What a pain in my ass.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2