follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Old 01-22-2019, 05:26 PM   #1
becausethexo

Drives: Subaru BRZ 2015 Limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Someone threatened me over my BRZ because..

Someone threatened me yesterday because my BRZ is "waking up his kid".
I park on the street and I'm about to take off and someone pulls up beside me and threatens me saying "you better stop waking up my kid.. or we're going to have a big problem" all threatening and hostile like. Young guy, didn't look friendly and has mean-mugged neighbours etc. I haven't even seen or noticed him before, but now I realize he's about FIVE homes up the street. It's a catless, 2015 Limited. This car has literally got me threatened by a neighbour . Apparently it rattles neighbours windows and my gf defines it as "a rocket ship about to take off". It's only problematic (no excuse for this guys behaviour as it's definitely borderline criminal to threaten harm to someone for that reason) but I work an Emergency Service where some mornings I'll need to be somewhere for 2AM, or 5AM etc. maybe once or twice a week. Starting it up about 3-7 times a day. I explained this to him and explained it's my livelihood and he just said "that's not my problem" sticking with his original threat.
It seems like my options are..
- Don't change anything.
- Move
- Get it catted?
- Get a new car?

All I've been doing recently is..

1. Starting it, putting it in reverse and moving it back a foot or so (quiets it down) and start driving away slowly right away (in -20C weather).. before I guess I'd ONLY let it sit for a minute or two but I guess those 2 mins is very loud . And driving home slower, not revving or anything like it in my neighbourhood.

Or...!! the most logical... file a police report.

Except.. I live in Ontario, Canada and I'm pretty sure? that it's illegal to have catless here? I'm not ENTIRELY sure google is very misleading. So wouldn't this backfire?

Any advice or suggestions for this entire situation would be VASTLY appreciated!
Old 01-22-2019, 05:34 PM   #2
new2subaru
Weight Weenie

Drives: 15 FR-S
Thanked 2,332 Times in 1,348 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Cat it. Common courtesy if leaving in the middle of the night regularly.
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to new2subaru For This Useful Post:
BigHugeFatGuy (01-24-2019), daiheadjai (01-24-2019), DarkPira7e (01-23-2019), e30kawi (01-22-2019), extrashaky (01-24-2019), Helios (01-23-2019), Hoahao (01-24-2019), kch (01-25-2019), Kimsey47 (01-23-2019), MuseChaser (01-23-2019), soundman98 (01-26-2019), Yardjass (01-27-2019)
Old 01-22-2019, 05:35 PM   #3
cjd

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Thanked 2,929 Times in 1,714 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Garage
What's the rest of the exhaust?
A cat will help, but not if you have an N1 or something else similarly stupid loud. A catted front-pipe (even stock) isn't really going to hurt power NA - nor will the catback.

Based on the descriptions, you will lose any escalation. Fix it. You can get a very quiet system that makes crazy good power, even catless (see the Ace Laguna setup)
Ganthrithor (01-23-2019)
Old 01-22-2019, 05:37 PM   #4
new2subaru
Weight Weenie

Drives: 15 FR-S
Thanked 2,332 Times in 1,348 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
^^That's true
Old 01-22-2019, 05:42 PM   #5
JR

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
I have a neighbor that speeds down my block with his modded Honda Civic and downshifts every chance he gets. It can be quite annoying, so I can imagine how your neighbor feels. I know you are not speeding down the block, but you can hear it when it is just idling as well. I would at least get it catted and go from there.
Old 01-22-2019, 05:49 PM   #6
DandoX
Senior gif poster

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FRS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Not sure if this is an option but parking your car in your garage and starting it up there would reduce a ton of noise for your neighbors. Plus it wouldn't get as cold so it can warm up faster.

I once met a dude who put a mustang style quiet exhaust button in his BRZ. He hits the button and these valves open up making a ton of noise but closed it is as quiet as stock.
Old 01-22-2019, 05:58 PM   #7
mrg666
pessimistic skeptic

Drives: '14 FR-S Monogram AT JRSC
Thanked 1,035 Times in 684 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
You have not posted any videos for us to judge but if you are rattling the neighbors windows, it is disrespectful, unacceptable. BTW, isn't it illegal to eliminate cats in Canada? I think you should fix it.
Old 01-22-2019, 06:00 PM   #8
HKz
Reformed

Drives: '23 GRC, '11 Prius, '04 RAV4
Thanked 1,133 Times in 588 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
what about getting a OFT to take out the cold start function..?
The Following User Says Thank You to HKz For This Useful Post:
guybo (01-24-2019)
Old 01-22-2019, 06:28 PM   #9
eastendraceshop

Drives: '13 Scion FR-S & '17 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
What's your current exhaust set up? Maybe you should consider getting a quiet catback system like the Invidia Q300 and/or adding a double resonated front pipe like the JDL Ultra Quiet, Fujitsubo, etc..?
Old 01-22-2019, 06:35 PM   #10
becausethexo

Oh
Old 01-22-2019, 06:35 PM   #11
dhuang
Cannonball Record Guy

Drives: Series.Yellow, 4C, Fit
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HKz View Post
I did an OFT cold start tune and went from this:

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbrWfXa_qmQ[/ame]

... to this:

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rrfXthK_dc[/ame]

Neighbors are much happier.

VINwiki - Changing Automotive History
The Following User Says Thank You to dhuang For This Useful Post:
HKz (01-23-2019)
Old 01-22-2019, 06:46 PM   #12
WC-BRZ

Drives: Black BRZ
Cat it.

While the neighbor is being a bit of a d*ck, it's kind of understandable. Also, it's widely understood that modified, louder cars generally piss off the general public anyway - most especially men suffering from "dad rage".

You'll be surprised what being married will do to you - can't blame that poor pissed off guy.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WC-BRZ For This Useful Post:
NARFALICIOUS (01-24-2019), soundman98 (01-26-2019)
Old 01-22-2019, 06:46 PM   #13
becausethexo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjd View Post
What's the rest of the exhaust?
A cat will help, but not if you have an N1 or something else similarly stupid loud. A catted front-pipe (even stock) isn't really going to hurt power NA - nor will the catback.

Based on the descriptions, you will lose any escalation. Fix it. You can get a very quiet system that makes crazy good power, even catless (see the Ace Laguna setup)
I wish I knew. I bought it used. I didn't even know it was cat-less until my dealership told me during a service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR View Post
I have a neighbor that speeds down my block with his modded Honda Civic and downshifts every chance he gets. It can be quite annoying, so I can imagine how your neighbor feels.
I know you are not speeding down the block, but you can hear it when it is just idling as well. I would at least get it catted and go from there.
In -20c weather right now, I'm literally turning it on for 3 seconds and leaving right away very slowly. I'm trying my best to do the opposite of what that Honda Civic guy is doing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandoX View Post
Not sure if this is an option but parking your car in your garage and starting it up there would reduce a ton of noise for your neighbors. Plus it wouldn't get as cold so it can warm up faster.
I once met a dude who put a mustang style quiet exhaust button in his BRZ. He hits the button and these valves open up making a ton of noise but closed it is as quiet as stock.
I really wish I had a garage, unfortunately it's street parking. My cousin is a mechanic and works on Mustands religiously, think I should ask him about this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrg666 View Post
You have not posted any videos for us to judge but if you are rattling the neighbors windows, it is disrespectful, unacceptable. BTW, isn't it illegal to eliminate cats in Canada? I think you should fix it.
I really don't know just how loud it is. I'm not mechanical and bought it like this. And that's what I would really like to know! I can't seem to find out definitively if it's illegal or not or what would happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKz View Post
I don't know this much about cars.

As I'm writing this and hearing this very loud train pass me, I should also mention that yea, there's a train that goes by here every morning around 2-5am a few times as well. It's not the quiestest area during the day for car traffic, or night with the train. I feel like he's blaming other sounds
that perhaps isn't even me and thinking "it must be that guy down the street with his loud car" all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastendraceshop View Post
What's your current exhaust set up? Maybe you should consider getting a quiet catback system like the Invidia Q300 and/or adding a double resonated front pipe like the JDL Ultra Quiet, Fujitsubo, etc..?
I don't know... how much are those? I didn't even know I bought it like this!
Old 01-22-2019, 06:48 PM   #14
becausethexo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhuang View Post
I did an OFT cold start tune and went from this:

... to this:

Neighbors are much happier.
Does this change the loud-ness when actually driving and hitting the road?

Closed Thread