follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 03-24-2017, 10:37 AM   #281
Racecomp Engineering

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2012 Paris Di2 & 2018 STI
Thanked 7,241 Times in 2,962 Posts
Mentioned: 303 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racecomp Engineering
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSube View Post
Thanks Andrew, was thinking more of a baseline for suspension, I'm already with you on pads & fluids. Since I like the ride so much my thinking right now is to get camber plates this year and probably nothing else until I know the car well, but I've been to many track wkends in a variety of cars. Sound reasonable?
Yeah definitely. Front plates, the OEM camber bolt, and rear LCAs to get everything perfect. What kind of tires will you be running on the track?

- Andrew
Racecomp Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Racecomp Engineering For This Useful Post:
7 skulls (11-06-2018), JSube (03-24-2017)
Old 03-24-2017, 03:40 PM   #282
JSube

Drives: 2017 ISM PP BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecomp Engineering View Post
Yeah definitely. Front plates, the OEM camber bolt, and rear LCAs to get everything perfect. What kind of tires will you be running on the track?

- Andrew
Thanks Andrew, that helps. I was gifted an unused set of Direzza ZIIs (not Star Specs) so I'll use those until they're gone.
What's your recommendation after that, maybe one choice for ultimate grip (one of the BFG R1 tires?) and another for longevity and respectable grip? I'd be changing wheels/tires at the track, not driving there on track tires. Thanks!
JSube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 04:24 PM   #283
Racecomp Engineering

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2012 Paris Di2 & 2018 STI
Thanked 7,241 Times in 2,962 Posts
Mentioned: 303 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racecomp Engineering
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSube View Post
Thanks Andrew, that helps. I was gifted an unused set of Direzza ZIIs (not Star Specs) so I'll use those until they're gone.
What's your recommendation after that, maybe one choice for ultimate grip (one of the BFG R1 tires?) and another for longevity and respectable grip? I'd be changing wheels/tires at the track, not driving there on track tires. Thanks!
If you're new-ish to the track, I wouldn't necessarily seek out the tire with the most ultimate grip (hoosier purple crack)....instead go for something with good grip and longevity like you said. You'll learn more and the really high grip tires can cover up mistakes.

We like Michelin Pilot Super Sport as an all around summer tire you could easily daily and take to the track. Lasts a long time and easy to drive. They work pretty well with stock suspension + alignment, though some light mods (springs, maybe swaybars) would help a lot.

A step up in grip would be the BFG Rivals, Dunlop ZII Star Spec, Bridgestone RE71R, and Hankook RS3. The Bridgestones have a ton of grip, but may not last quite as long. They work well in the wet too. Dunlops are close, and both have stiff sidewalls and are a little bit annoying on the street. But they're good tires with not quite r-comp levels of grip if you're swapping at the track. The BFG Rival S is very good too but I don't have experience with them. Ahead of the Dunlops though. With any of these, you will quickly want firmer suspension (coilovers).

I'm not always up to the latest on the new tire designs though! The Michelins are a good safe bet for a medium grip tire that will last and is easy to drive fast and does well in the wet. Beyond that you've a bunch more options.

- Andrew
Racecomp Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Racecomp Engineering For This Useful Post:
rcm47 (03-24-2017), x808drifter (03-24-2017)
Old 03-24-2017, 09:38 PM   #284
x808drifter
LMGTFY

Drives: 13 FRS, 91 Miata
Thanked 3,646 Times in 1,625 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Seriously, a mod NEEDS to sticky this thread!
x808drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to x808drifter For This Useful Post:
Racecomp Engineering (03-25-2017)
Old 03-24-2017, 11:26 PM   #285
Aluma007

Drives: 2017 Brz
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Whats the highest level of tire to not overload the OEM 2017 springs/struts on a brz?
grand touring =oem michelin
High performance=
Ultra High performance=I'm guessing here would be good right? like a bfgoodrich comp2
Max performance=
Extreme performance=
Aluma007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 10:01 AM   #286
Gent

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanks for the advice, I've picked up some SPC's. Looking forward to this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by driggity View Post
Without the rear LCAs you won't be able to adjust camber in the rear (other than just loosening and wiggling things) and you may end up with a fair amount of imbalance from side to side. Also my guess is that you'll be much closer to -2 than -1 in the rear without adding rear LCAs.
Gent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 05:24 PM   #287
MALAJSTD

Drives: 2016 FR-S 6MT Oceanic
This may one of the best threads of all time.
(so edumacational)

I recently picked up some 18x8.5 +38 wheels and I'm going to give Continental a shot with their new ExtremeContact Sport (225/40R18) preliminary testing seems favorable, I guess we'll see.
Mounted and balanced including TPMS, this combo weighs in at 38.4lbs per corner.
So I have shed a little weight...

Two questions:
Do you think the larger wheel diameter will have a negative effect on initial turn-in even if the weight is down?

I plan on a set of RCE Yellows on OEM struts for now. I have WL camber bolts and R/LCA in hand.
Any recommendations on alignment specs for this combo?

...mmmmmm, oil cooler...
MALAJSTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 07:04 PM   #288
cjd

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Thanked 2,928 Times in 1,714 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MALAJSTD View Post
(so edumacational)

I recently picked up some 18x8.5 +38 wheels and I'm going to give Continental a shot with their new ExtremeContact Sport (225/40R18) preliminary testing seems favorable, I guess we'll see.
Mounted and balanced including TPMS, this combo weighs in at 38.4lbs per corner.

Two questions:
Do you think the larger wheel diameter will have a negative effect on initial turn-in even if the weight is down?

I plan on a set of RCE Yellows on OEM struts for now. I have WL camber bolts and R/LCA in hand.

...mmmmmm, oil cooler...
Hard to say on turn-in, so many things contribute. Also, relative to what?

Max camber up front. If you're getting parts to set it where you want it, I like to suggest start at -3f/-2r and dial via tire temps from there. I doubt you'll approach -3 up front.
cjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 07:20 PM   #289
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I'd love to get -3 front, every time i see outer side of tire destroyed again. Unfortunately it seems that to get it will mean switching to pillowball mounts or lower car, since Whiteline failed with their Com-Cs and no one has (and will ever?) made rubber mounts with offset for camber for our cars but them , so i'm postponing reinstalling back camber plates.
Thinking, that maybe slotting struts will help :/
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 08:25 PM   #290
MALAJSTD

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjd View Post
Hard to say on turn-in, so many things contribute. Also, relative to what?

Max camber up front. If you're getting parts to set it where you want it, I like to suggest start at -3f/-2r and dial via tire temps from there. I doubt you'll approach -3 up front.
Thanks for the advice.
I mean compared to stock, as I truly love this car and it's handling character. I dare not do anything to mess it up.
Old 03-31-2017, 08:34 PM   #291
Gent

I just installed some flex-a's and similarly light wheels. 225/35r18 on 18x7.5 Rays G-games. 25mm drop all around.
Camber: -2 front, -1.5 rear
Zero toe front, 0.10 toe-in rear
5 clicks from full stiff front, 6 clicks from full stiff rear.

It's brilliant. Very crisp response. Much better grip on hard corners under full acceleration in the sweet 4k+ range. I can still kick the tail out if I want, but it's much less... drifty.

Quote:
(so edumacational)

Two questions:

...mmmmmm, oil cooler...
The Following User Says Thank You to Gent For This Useful Post:
smg1138 (05-11-2017)
Old 03-31-2017, 08:46 PM   #292
MALAJSTD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gent View Post
I just installed some flex-a's and similarly light wheels. 225/35r18 on 18x7.5 Rays G-games. 25mm drop all around.
Camber: -2 front, -1.5 rear
Zero toe front, 0.10 toe-in rear
5 clicks from full stiff front, 6 clicks from full stiff rear.

It's brilliant. Very crisp response. Much better grip on hard corners under full acceleration in the sweet 4k+ range. I can still kick the tail out if I want, but it's much less... drifty.
Glad to hear that! What kind of rubber are you running?
I've got slightly more sidewall, I'm hoping it doesn't impact crispness (maybe offset a bit by the 225 on an 8.5?)
And no dampening adjustment for me
Old 03-31-2017, 09:23 PM   #293
Gent

LOL. I left that out on purpose. My tires are an exercise in cheap. They are surprisingly good: "Achilles ATR Sport 2". I had to look them up, as I had never heard of them; however, at $80 a tire I figured they were worth the experiment. So far, so good.

I can already hear the comments coming about buying Flex-A's and cheap tires.

Quote:
Glad to hear that! What kind of rubber are you running?
I've got slightly more sidewall, I'm hoping it doesn't impact crispness (maybe offset a bit by the 225 on an 8.5?)
And no dampening adjustment for me
Attached Images

Last edited by Gent; 03-31-2017 at 09:31 PM. Reason: Schpellinge
Old 04-01-2017, 09:34 AM   #294
Gforce
Banned

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Thanks for the advice.
I mean compared to stock, as I truly love this car and it's handling character. I dare not do anything to mess it up.
Grippier tires will tame the exuberance of this chassis. In return you will enjoy the fundamental precision Subaru designed in. Assuming you have a 2017 model with the sports option you have Subaru's idea of the best street setup you can get. After five model years Subaru has built the car they probably should've built first. Larger and wider wheels will sharpen turn in and likely make your car more responsive in transitions. Not so good in the wet or on snow but what you want on dry roads.

Toyota issued a set of lowering springs and uprated roll bars early on. All reports are these are a good addition, or the many equivalents from other makers. Toyota bought theirs in from Eibach, one of the biggest and best aftermarket makers.

Lowering the same by that much will improve handling but reduce suspension travel which may not be what you want if you experience rough roads. But, you give up the factory suspension which is now very good indeed.

No free lunch, just a set of trade offs. One modification at a time is a good practice. You stop when you think the car is perfect for you, or you run out of money....
Gforce is offline   Reply With Quote