follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Old 06-14-2015, 11:36 PM   #2535
STV3
Seņor Member

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Thanked 1,322 Times in 645 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSBRZGT86FAN View Post
I'm guessing you don't know much about the car, because a tune is a surefire way to pass emissions as long as a sniffer is not involved, the tune is for getting rid of the risk of a CEL.....
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to STV3 For This Useful Post:
akahenry (06-15-2015), FRSBRZGT86FAN (06-15-2015)
Old 06-15-2015, 11:29 AM   #2536
Re~Mix

Drives: 13' Scion FRS MT
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT-86 SpeedFactory View Post
We stand behind our product and to date, there has been two cat actual cat failures. Both of those we replaced under our warranty.
Just chiming in. I have been running a TRD intake & catback, FT86SF UEL Catted Header and OFT Stage 1 UEL tune for nearly 14,000 miles. From time to time I would get a P0420 reading and I brought the car into the install shop for a quick safety check. No issue was found. After said point, I simply cleared the code manually each time it popped up.

Lately, I have been getting the CEL P0420 on an almost weekly basis. Out of sheer annoyance I am planning to use ROMRaider to flip that switch off, however I worry that I could miss an actual problem should the cat fail, a sensor go bad, etc. What would you recommend? This is my first "tuner car"...
Old 06-15-2015, 03:23 PM   #2537
chas3wba0

Drives: Yes
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Re~Mix View Post
Just chiming in. I have been running a TRD intake & catback, FT86SF UEL Catted Header and OFT Stage 1 UEL tune for nearly 14,000 miles. From time to time I would get a P0420 reading and I brought the car into the install shop for a quick safety check. No issue was found. After said point, I simply cleared the code manually each time it popped up.

Lately, I have been getting the CEL P0420 on an almost weekly basis. Out of sheer annoyance I am planning to use ROMRaider to flip that switch off, however I worry that I could miss an actual problem should the cat fail, a sensor go bad, etc. What would you recommend? This is my first "tuner car"...
Just do it. You'll be able to smell/feel a difference if the cat were to actually fail (worst case, the exhaust would be "clogged", hurting performance)
Old 06-15-2015, 04:10 PM   #2538
Re~Mix

Drives: 13' Scion FRS MT
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chas3wba0 View Post
Just do it. You'll be able to smell/feel a difference if the cat were to actually fail (worst case, the exhaust would be "clogged", hurting performance)
Thanks for the vote of confidence. When you say smell, it should be an exhaust smell, appearance or feel and not gasoline? For some reason I have been smelling gas some morning when I start the car, wrote it off as closed quarters (driveway between two adjacent houses).
Old 06-15-2015, 06:27 PM   #2539
chas3wba0

Drives: Yes
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Thanks for the vote of confidence. When you say smell, it should be an exhaust smell, appearance or feel and not gasoline? For some reason I have been smelling gas some morning when I start the car, wrote it off as closed quarters (driveway between two adjacent houses).
I was smelling a bit more of a "gassy" smell as well after I swapped out the factory cats (still have 2 cats: the FT86SF header and a Berk front pipe), which I presume is normal.

The P0420 code was coming on way too frequently for me (all I had was OFT, exhaust and intake hose), and I hated having to deal with the mushy pedal each time I cleared the code, so I finally went into RomRaider and disabled it... haven't slept better since.
Re~Mix (06-15-2015)
Old 06-15-2015, 09:56 PM   #2540
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:

Disabling the P0420 cel code does not disable either of the 02 sensors. All it disables is the triggering of the P0420 cel code. The ecu does some weird calculation based on readings from both 02 sensors to determine cat efficiency if it get results outside "normal" it sets the p0420 code.
The front sensor is used for afr by ecu, rear 02 for cat efficiency, cruise fueling

you will still trigger other codes if 02 sensors fail or fueling falls outside predetermined limits
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to steve99 For This Useful Post:
AllStar0419 (07-21-2015), Mr.Impreza (03-20-2016), Re~Mix (06-16-2015)
Old 06-16-2015, 10:11 AM   #2541
DGM86

Drives: 15 BRZ, 07 Tacoma TRD, 01 Miata SE
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSBRZGT86FAN View Post
I'm guessing you don't know much about the car, because a tune is a surefire way to pass emissions as long as a sniffer is not involved, the tune is for getting rid of the risk of a CEL.....sarcasm...
I was under the impression that disabling the CEL would cause the ECU to not run its readiness checks. You would fail the inspection due to that even though you are not throwing a CEL. Tuning them out doesn't turn them off it just tells them to shut up. That was the case for my previous car at least, but I was running megasquirt in parallel, so its a bit different.

If you can tune out CELs with OFT on these cars and not hinder the ECU readiness checks, i'm going to be thrilled.
Old 06-16-2015, 12:23 PM   #2542
Courier6

Drives: 2015 FR-S Release 1.0
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGM86 View Post
You are forgetting, some of us live in states where you will not pass inspection with most any CEL being thrown. Suppressing the CEL makes the ECU show a forced readiness situation and it wont pass. Throwing the guy inspecting your car a 50 doesn't work either because the computer they use to check your ECU is owned by the state. It sucks. If anyone knows a way around it that doesn't involve swapping parts back and forth, I would love to hear it. THAT is the market for these headers... why would you get a catted header otherwise?

I got my catted header and headerback to kill the torque dip (which it does quite well) and replace the uninspiring noises made by the stock car, while not needing a tune whatsoever. I never expected big gains, but the low and midrange gains were noticeable, more so than I thought they would at least. Truth is, even with a tune the gains you will see won't really be worth the money unless you can run E85, which I can't get near me.
Are you still running the header without a tune? I would like to know if you've seen a CEL yet.

thanks!
Old 06-18-2015, 03:46 PM   #2543
DGM86

Drives: 15 BRZ, 07 Tacoma TRD, 01 Miata SE
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Courier6 View Post
Are you still running the header without a tune? I would like to know if you've seen a CEL yet.

thanks!
Been running the header-back for about 2 months now with no CEL and no tune. That's about 4-5k miles with how much I drive (mostly highway). Its the full daily rage package on FT86SF's website. My intake is stock though and I suspect most of the people getting the intermittent highway CEL's with this header are running full aftermarket intakes.

Might want to stay with the stock intake or just run a drop in filter if you are worried about a CEL. Trying to decide if I want to test my luck with the Grimmspeed intake, which supposedly doesn't require a tune, but the more mods you have the higher the chances of a CEL.
Old 06-23-2015, 03:05 PM   #2544
FTemplar

Drives: BRZ Sport-tech 2013
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Hey guys, just installed it and thought I should share the video we made this week-end. I didn't launch WOT because I wanted to see how it sounded like driving normally.

FT86 UEL catted header + Lachute Performance catback
https://www.facebook.com/715671437/v...8/?pnref=story
Old 06-24-2015, 09:01 PM   #2545
Cartman

Drives: 10 Series Scion FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGM86 View Post
Been running the header-back for about 2 months now with no CEL and no tune. That's about 4-5k miles with how much I drive (mostly highway). Its the full daily rage package on FT86SF's website. My intake is stock though and I suspect most of the people getting the intermittent highway CEL's with this header are running full aftermarket intakes.

Might want to stay with the stock intake or just run a drop in filter if you are worried about a CEL. Trying to decide if I want to test my luck with the Grimmspeed intake, which supposedly doesn't require a tune, but the more mods you have the higher the chances of a CEL.
You're just lucky, I had the cel with the stock intake.
Old 07-13-2015, 04:24 PM   #2546
FT-86 SpeedFactory

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,253 Posts
Mentioned: 341 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Getting ready for Ultimate Track Car challenge at VIR later this week!

We have these in stock at the moment too!
Old 07-13-2015, 11:03 PM   #2547
Thehermdawg
Just Some Dude

Drives: 14 FR-S Raven A/T
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
From all the videos I've seen, I haven't heard all that much rumble from this header. Maybe a little, but it's almost like an EL to me. Of course, videos don't really do justice. So how is the rumble?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket.BRZ View Post
But the party has just begun.
Old 07-14-2015, 10:24 AM   #2548
FTemplar

Drives: BRZ Sport-tech 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thehermdawg View Post
From all the videos I've seen, I haven't heard all that much rumble from this header. Maybe a little, but it's almost like an EL to me. Of course, videos don't really do justice. So how is the rumble?
The rumble is at its best when WOT between 2000 and 3000 (for me) particularly in 2nd, 3rd and 4th gear, but you kind of lose it in 5th and 6th (in the driver's seat, not from another car's perspective... if you ask someone to drive next to your car in 6th on the highway, it's definitely noticable)

CEL disapeared as fast as it showed up for me, within 24 hours it was gone. I have a an aftermarket catback and K&N Drop-In air filter. It's UEL is 6 inches difference, not the most UEL there is, but I like it.
The Following User Says Thank You to FTemplar For This Useful Post:
Thehermdawg (07-14-2015)

Closed Thread

Tags
catted uel header, ft86speedfactory header, is my order ready yet?