follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 10-27-2014, 01:21 PM   #71
Alexioooo

Drives: 2017 BRZ PP White, 2000 2.5RS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I've had experience with both cars. I never owned a Gen Coupe but I'm a Hyundai salesman and I ended up buying the BRZ. I've driven the Gen Coupes plenty of times and they're fun but I agree with a lot of the other posts about the Gen Coupe not feeling as fast as it is. Especially with the 2.0T. Yes it has more space and better numbers on paper but the drive of the BRZ sold me way more, even despite the fact I couldve got employee pricing on a Gen Coupe. For me, the Gen Coupe was eliminated from the list early on because of the feel. And the Mk7 GTI was a bigger contender actually (I know... wtf its an FF Hatchback) but still being a huge Euro fan and driving around my Mk3 GTI, it was a good contender for being a driver's car.

I also may be biased towards the Subie after working with Hyundai and being surrounded by their product for 60hrs a week you sort of develop a distaste lol.

Plus 2yr maintenance if you go for the FR-S and non-staggered wheels on either twin so you can rotate them and save in the long run, and better resale value in the future w/out a doubt.

Hope my input helps.
2000 Impreza 2.5RS - Daily Driver
2017 BRZ PP WHC - Bae
Alexioooo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Alexioooo For This Useful Post:
Texas BRZ (10-27-2014)
Old 10-27-2014, 04:43 PM   #72
Texas BRZ
Sports Car = Anti-Drug

Drives: 2014 Honda CBR600RR
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexioooo View Post
I've had experience with both cars. I never owned a Gen Coupe but I'm a Hyundai salesman and I ended up buying the BRZ. I've driven the Gen Coupes plenty of times and they're fun but I agree with a lot of the other posts about the Gen Coupe not feeling as fast as it is. Especially with the 2.0T. Yes it has more space and better numbers on paper but the drive of the BRZ sold me way more, even despite the fact I couldve got employee pricing on a Gen Coupe. For me, the Gen Coupe was eliminated from the list early on because of the feel. And the Mk7 GTI was a bigger contender actually (I know... wtf its an FF Hatchback) but still being a huge Euro fan and driving around my Mk3 GTI, it was a good contender for being a driver's car.

I also may be biased towards the Subie after working with Hyundai and being surrounded by their product for 60hrs a week you sort of develop a distaste lol.

Plus 2yr maintenance if you go for the FR-S and non-staggered wheels on either twin so you can rotate them and save in the long run, and better resale value in the future w/out a doubt.

Hope my input helps.
Hell, I used to be a salesman at a Toyota dealership and I can almost relate to you... Surounded by the FR-S all the time, I grew tired and went with a BRZ even though the same car.

Response to OP's title: Any argument with the spouse or GF is never, ever small... Trust me!

Texas BRZ
Texas BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 05:23 PM   #73
艾洛

Drives: Raven
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
In all honesty, I think you should take your girlfriend back to the dealership with her in the front seat this time. When she sat in the back, these cars are not fun getting out from the back but it makes all the difference in the front.

@Chazbo has described the technique of getting in and out.

Majority has stated how wide the doors are open make a big difference

Having the chair all the way back or in the perfect spot to assist getting out.
Old 10-27-2014, 05:39 PM   #74
ZionsWrath
Thanks

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 3,100 Times in 1,498 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spicyricecake View Post
Is there any way to delete this thread? so many people took my message the wrong way and just assumed my gf is a bitch, and I'm not sure if I quite appreciate that...

She's expressing she doesn't like the car for practical reasons, and also said in the end it was my decision.

Trying to take her opinions about a car into consideration is not something that should be frowned upon, even if it is my own money spent.

Think about how she will be involved in it:

she may have to drive it if I can't drive it for some reason (alcohol, etc).
she has to ride in it every time we go anywhere, which we will start taking mine more often since we used hers quite a bit due to my 98 buick being a crappy ride.
she's a woman. Women tend to be ready for family and all that other stuff quicker than men, so she thinks ahead and asks important questions about such a big purchase decision.

Honestly, I get that you guys love your cars, and trust me, I'm gonna get one of these two cars. But the way you demean my girlfriend from a story that involves her pointing out the impracticality of these cars and expressing her opinion does not give you the right to call her a bitch.

Where the hell do you guys get that she doesn't respect me from a small amount of information posted on this thread? come on.

I really appreciate the genuine feedback on the pros and cons of each cars, but those who chose to demean someone important to me while lacking any kind of information to make such judgments really need to reconsider about the way you see things in life, and whether or not you're proud to have such a blurred and biased vision of it.
It's not about respect. It's about validity of feedback. I understand she is important in your life. But from what you described in your posts she is just an average person when it comes to cars. If you are an enthusiast her opinion should not matter much.

When I bought this car I didn't ask my best friend of 10 years what he thought because he doesn't care about cars. And I certainly didn't consider my girlfriend of 3 years opinion.

You have to use your own judgement on what feedback to listen to.
Old 10-28-2014, 04:34 PM   #75
NOHOME

Drives: RAVEN
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
It might have escaped your notice, but Female Units are designed different. They have a much lower center of gravity and the "half-way-to the seat" point is hard to maintain or reach.

On a more critical note, you are trying to rationalize a sports-car. Unless you start with the premise that it is not a rational decisions, you will have the car in the market after a year or two.

There are a million reasons NOT to buy sports-cars. If you are the type who is meant to own one, none of them will matter.
NOHOME is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NOHOME For This Useful Post:
jeffchap (10-28-2014), Tcoat (10-29-2014)
Old 11-04-2014, 02:43 AM   #76
demonpoofball

Drives: 05 wrx, 07 tsx, 15 brz series.blue
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
As another female driver (who happens to have never had the slightest issue with her husband wanting to buy the car-- we have "shared custody"), it's not too bad once you're used to it. Piece of cake in pants, obviously, but as you can get a bit of a "swivel" in the seat when you get out, you can get out kind of "lady like" (both feet out at a similar time), unless she's wearing a short skirt of course (which would have issues in any car). And with the door, you can always face it as you get out-- not to mention you could at least use the roof if you need a little balance help.

btw-- if she does have any troubles getting out, the "gentlemanly" thing of helping her out would work-- not just opening the door, but taking her hand and discretely giving her a tug.

I was pretty excited to find out the other day I can drive it in my 3" boots (hadn't tried any of my heels yet). Too much higher and my knees will slam through the steering wheel trying to shift, but it covers most of my shoes… (I already have to watch which shoes I wear if I'm driving the WRX, so I'm used to it…). Getting out wasn't any different than in my normal shoes.
demonpoofball is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to demonpoofball For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (11-07-2014)
Old 11-07-2014, 03:12 PM   #77
Fastbrew

Drives: 2014 Pearl White BRZ
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Ejector seats. The only real solution.
Fastbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fastbrew For This Useful Post:
GotBRZ1691 (11-07-2014), Koa (11-07-2014)
Old 11-07-2014, 03:40 PM   #78
Koa
Sweeper

Drives: '02 RA Bugeye | '15 FRS
Thanked 1,488 Times in 788 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Garage
^ hahahaha full points sir
Koa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 04:58 PM   #79
53Driver
T64-416Ax3=13,140shp

Drives: 2002 AP1 and 2015 F-150 EB (DD)
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastbrew View Post
Ejector seats. The only real solution.
"What does this handle do?"

"DON'T PULL..."
53Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 05:16 PM   #80
Cliu91
Cliuless

Drives: Whiteout Scion FRS 2014
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonpoofball View Post
As another female driver (who happens to have never had the slightest issue with her husband wanting to buy the car-- we have "shared custody"), it's not too bad once you're used to it. Piece of cake in pants, obviously, but as you can get a bit of a "swivel" in the seat when you get out, you can get out kind of "lady like" (both feet out at a similar time), unless she's wearing a short skirt of course (which would have issues in any car). And with the door, you can always face it as you get out-- not to mention you could at least use the roof if you need a little balance help.

btw-- if she does have any troubles getting out, the "gentlemanly" thing of helping her out would work-- not just opening the door, but taking her hand and discretely giving her a tug.

I was pretty excited to find out the other day I can drive it in my 3" boots (hadn't tried any of my heels yet). Too much higher and my knees will slam through the steering wheel trying to shift, but it covers most of my shoes… (I already have to watch which shoes I wear if I'm driving the WRX, so I'm used to it…). Getting out wasn't any different than in my normal shoes.
What exactly is a demon-poof ball?
Cliu91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 08:32 PM   #81
demonpoofball

Drives: 05 wrx, 07 tsx, 15 brz series.blue
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliu91 View Post
That was what we called our last bunny… She was very poofy and, like all bunnies, a bit of a demon bent on taking over the world. Makes for a pretty easy user name…
demonpoofball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 12:17 AM   #82
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,518 Times in 18,920 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliu91 View Post
Don't believe it. She named her muffin.
Ultramaroon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 02:32 AM   #83
Ganthrithor

Drives: '13 BRZ, '06 997, Other Things(TM)
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSunrise View Post
Take your GF for a test-drive in the Lotus Elise. She'll never complain about how low the BRZ is after that.
Was going to say exactly this, lol.
Ganthrithor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 07:21 AM   #84
Spartiduck

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ limited 2.0l
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
My wife cried when I got mine, Her words where it's a beautiful car but we didn't need it. She loves going with me in it. I got auto against my wants so she can use it. My kids don't fit in it but it'd not for them it's for me and my wife. We have other vehicles for them.
Spartiduck is offline   Reply With Quote