follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 09-13-2013, 09:28 PM   #15
RehabJeff86

Drives: 2013 WhiteOut FR-S
Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Impressions - EcuTek vs OpenFlash Tablet

Product: EcuTek Stage 1 tune by FT86Club forum vendor/master tuner
Impressions: FRS feels responsive for normal driving, easy to pass on freeway and going up hill. FRS does feel stronger at normal driving RPM 2-3.5k rpm. Acceleration flat spot still noticeable and not much different compared to stock file from 3.5k rpm to 4.5k rpm. On the track, not much different noticed at WOT. Engine sounds harsh and rough with EcuTek stage 1 tune.
Pros: Easy to use software and fast programing ECU. Fun RaceRom features, i.e. auto blip, flat foot shifting, and launch control. Easy to switch between 4 built-in maps.
Cons: Locked tune file for end-users. Hard to find local master tuners. Only EcuTek tuners can change RaceRom features. Auto blip, flat foot shifting, and launch control are all useless for me on the track. License not transferrable.

Product: OpenFlash Tablet by Vishnu Tuning
Impressions: FRS immediately feels smoother and responsive both normal driving and with WOT. Acceleration flat spot became minimal and feels linear now. FRS pulls strong from 3.8k rpm to 7.2k rpm. Engine sounds very smooth not harsh and rough.
Pros: Open tune file - you see whats been altered. End-users ability to tune the map and custom features i.e. flat foot shifting and launch control. No license required. Tune maps can be exchanged amongst all tuners around the world. Easy to use Tablet with tons of features to be added in the future.
Cons: Slower than EcuTek in speed of programming the ECU - per Vishnu Tuning - will be improved shortly at least 50%. Thats all I can think of for now :happy0180:

Final Thoughts: It is shocking to see the truth of EcuTek Stage 1 tune by a FT86Club forum vendor/master tuner - Only Throttle map was increased by about 25% to give buyer a sense of the car is faster. It is shocking again that there is minimum HP and TQ gain compared to stock file - vendor claimed 10-13 whp gain. Its even more shocking to see AFR running so lean above 14 from 4.7k rpm to redline. The Rev Limit should remain stock for Stage 1 tune IMHO given no HP gain after 7k rpm but post excessive stress to the engine. Im extremely satisfied with Vishnu Tuning by spending the time demonstrating what has been done step by step for a end-user like me with zero ECU tuning knowledge. The Dyno Tuning result was so solid and I bought a OpenFlash Tablet on the spot and never flash back to EcuTek.

Addendum: IMHO EcuTek product is excellent but selecting a truly experienced tuner is the key. Data-logging tuning is just not accurate. I will only recommend Dyno Tuning because you see the process and result in front of you that a Tuner cannot hoax you with a fake tune. It is more expensive but well worth it. OpenFlash Tablet will introduce our ToyoBaru twins ECU tuning to a new level that is End-Users based not Vendor/Authroized Tuner based. Cheers!! :happy0180:

2013 Scion FR-S whiteout
2012 Porsche Panamera S carbon grey
2008 Range Rover Sport SS black - sold
2004 BMW M3 alpine wies - sold
RehabJeff86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to RehabJeff86 For This Useful Post:
CollazoDSM (09-14-2013), hmong337 (09-15-2013), Mike86 (09-14-2013), Rombinhood@OpenFlash (09-13-2013), sierra (09-15-2013), Sonolin (09-13-2013)
Old 09-13-2013, 09:36 PM   #16
FRSFirestorm
Red is Fastest

Drives: 13 FRS 6MT Firestorm
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Just got my shipping confirmation. Excited. I can see the compares were done with TunerPro. I assume that is what you are using to tune the maps?

I've already downloaded and installed it, but without a tune I can't play around with it.

Last edited by FRSFirestorm; 09-13-2013 at 09:50 PM.
FRSFirestorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 09:40 PM   #17
whitefrs
Love Boost!!!!!!!!

Drives: Whiteout Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
wonder how this will work on an e85 turbo car
Old 09-13-2013, 09:51 PM   #18
Rombinhood@OpenFlash

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitefrs View Post
wonder how this will work on an e85 turbo car
Shiv@vishnu will be converting our test car over to e85 next week so e85 maps will be available soon.

Also, I just read some of the tags below. But I will say that Jeff did not have a Visconti tune.
Rombinhood@OpenFlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 09:57 PM   #19
xwd

Drives: 2013 DGM Subaru BRZ (Subie #9)
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
So getting a custom tune done by an experienced tuner is a good idea? Shocking.
xwd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xwd For This Useful Post:
Element Tuning (09-16-2013), TouchMyHonda (09-15-2013)
Old 09-13-2013, 10:01 PM   #20
RehabJeff86

Drives: 2013 WhiteOut FR-S
Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwx View Post
So getting a custom tune done by an experienced tuner is a good idea? Shocking.
Or OpenFlash Tablet is the solution that End-Users can see whats been done with each tune file so you are not just blindly programming your ECU. Vishnu Tuning will do the hard work coming up with proper tune file suitable for each application, i.e. 91, 93, 100, e85, flex, and FI, etc.

2013 Scion FR-S whiteout
2012 Porsche Panamera S carbon grey
2008 Range Rover Sport SS black - sold
2004 BMW M3 alpine wies - sold
RehabJeff86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 10:03 PM   #21
FRSTEVE

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
(yay, my first post - long time lurker)

I think the shock is really who we think are experienced tuners.

You need to do proper "A" "B" testing and using dyno is much more helpful than a butt dyno (apparently it can be fooled by simply modifying the throttle position offset).
FRSTEVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 10:07 PM   #22
Sportsguy83
I Love custom Turbo kits

Drives: Limited BRZ
Thanked 8,343 Times in 4,361 Posts
Mentioned: 441 Post(s)
Tagged: 12 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RehabJeff86 View Post
Or OpenFlash Tablet is the solution that End-Users can see whats been done with each tune file so you are not just blindly programming your ECU. Vishnu Tuning will do the hard work coming up with proper tune file suitable for each application, i.e. 91, 93, 100, e85, flex, and FI, etc.
So whose your ECUtek tuner?
Sportsguy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Sportsguy83 For This Useful Post:
jamesm (09-14-2013), King Tut (09-16-2013), Mike86 (09-14-2013), RehabJeff86 (09-14-2013), Sonolin (09-13-2013), whitefrs (09-13-2013)
Old 09-13-2013, 10:18 PM   #23
sierra

Drives: Skoda Yeti DSG diesel 4x4
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsguy83 View Post
This is all very intriguing and interesting!
Yes I agree!
This is the most interesting topic on the forum currently and a breath of fresh air after all the expensive secret squirrel Ecutek nonsense.
sierra is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sierra For This Useful Post:
hmong337 (09-15-2013), phatpanda (09-16-2013), RehabJeff86 (09-14-2013), Sportsguy83 (09-13-2013)
Old 09-13-2013, 10:45 PM   #24
brichard0625

Drives: 2013 Scion Frs(Scarlet)
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RehabJeff86 View Post
Product: EcuTek Stage 1 tune by FT86Club forum vendor/master tuner
Impressions: FRS feels responsive for normal driving, easy to pass on freeway and going up hill. FRS does feel stronger at normal driving RPM 2-3.5k rpm. Acceleration flat spot still noticeable and not much different compared to stock file from 3.5k rpm to 4.5k rpm. On the track, not much different noticed at WOT. Engine sounds harsh and rough with EcuTek stage 1 tune.
Pros: Easy to use software and fast programing ECU. Fun RaceRom features, i.e. auto blip, flat foot shifting, and launch control. Easy to switch between 4 built-in maps.
Cons: Locked tune file for end-users. Hard to find local master tuners. Only EcuTek tuners can change RaceRom features. Auto blip, flat foot shifting, and launch control are all useless for me on the track. License not transferrable.

Product: OpenFlash Tablet by Vishnu Tuning
Impressions: FRS immediately feels smoother and responsive both normal driving and with WOT. Acceleration flat spot became minimal and feels linear now. FRS pulls strong from 3.8k rpm to 7.2k rpm. Engine sounds very smooth not harsh and rough.
Pros: Open tune file - you see whats been altered. End-users ability to tune the map and custom features i.e. flat foot shifting and launch control. No license required. Tune maps can be exchanged amongst all tuners around the world. Easy to use Tablet with tons of features to be added in the future.
Cons: Slower than EcuTek in speed of programming the ECU - per Vishnu Tuning - will be improved shortly at least 50%. Thats all I can think of for now :happy0180:

Final Thoughts: It is shocking to see the truth of EcuTek Stage 1 tune by a FT86Club forum vendor/master tuner - Only Throttle map was increased by about 25% to give buyer a sense of the car is faster. It is shocking again that there is minimum HP and TQ gain compared to stock file - vendor claimed 10-13 whp gain. Its even more shocking to see AFR running so lean above 14 from 4.7k rpm to redline. The Rev Limit should remain stock for Stage 1 tune IMHO given no HP gain after 7k rpm but post excessive stress to the engine. Im extremely satisfied with Vishnu Tuning by spending the time demonstrating what has been done step by step for a end-user like me with zero ECU tuning knowledge. The Dyno Tuning result was so solid and I bought a OpenFlash Tablet on the spot and never flash back to EcuTek.

Addendum: IMHO EcuTek product is excellent but selecting a truly experienced tuner is the key. Data-logging tuning is just not accurate. I will only recommend Dyno Tuning because you see the process and result in front of you that a Tuner cannot hoax you with a fake tune. It is more expensive but well worth it. OpenFlash Tablet will introduce our ToyoBaru twins ECU tuning to a new level that is End-Users based not Vendor/Authroized Tuner based. Cheers!! :happy0180:
I find it very funny that throttle map was increase or could be increased because everytime i asked that question was ignored. I knew something was up with that. happy to see this product offered. im sold on this! Good job guys. I've been holding off on many products that have caught my eye because of all the false claims i see here but i like where this is going.
Old 09-13-2013, 10:47 PM   #25
Superhatch
AIM4APX

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
I'm at a bit of a loss here. Perhaps someone could answer my questions? Forgive my ignorance, I've never been in the tuning game before.

1. If Vishnu makes a tune for 93 how will this be different from an ECUTEK tuner making a tune for 93? (assuming you are comparing it to a good tune)

2. If I have no idea how to read a tune, or interpret the data, what good is an open tune for me?

3. Is this product good because I can take it to a reputable tuning shop and have them tune the car without the need to be a dealer of the Tablet?

I think that we can all agree that getting a tune on the dyno is the best way to go about it. I like the idea of taking a really good tune for a stock car, and uploading it, then later when I add a full exhaust just taking someone else's solid tune (who has the same mods as me) and loading it to improve the benefit of my add-ons.

But in the end wouldn't I rather just get another dyno tune once I add a bunch of mods?
Old 09-13-2013, 10:52 PM   #26
JerryMichaels7

Drives: Whiteout FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
S you have 2 tunes 100 percent the same....ecutek vs openflash
ecutek and openflash are just the means of flashing the ECU with the tune file
Now my question is what else can they do? Lauchcontrol, 2step, nolift shift? like other tuners with ecutek offer can openflash do the same?
JerryMichaels7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 10:54 PM   #27
sierra

Drives: Skoda Yeti DSG diesel 4x4
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superhatch View Post
I'm at a bit of a loss here. Perhaps someone could answer my questions? Forgive my ignorance, I've never been in the tuning game before.

1. If Vishnu makes a tune for 93 how will this be different from an ECUTEK tuner making a tune for 93? (assuming you are comparing it to a good tune)

2. If I have no idea how to read a tune, or interpret the data, what good is an open tune for me?

3. Is this product good because I can take it to a reputable tuning shop and have them tune the car without the need to be a dealer of the Tablet?

I think that we can all agree that getting a tune on the dyno is the best way to go about it. I like the idea of taking a really good tune for a stock car, and uploading it, then later when I add a full exhaust just taking someone else's solid tune (who has the same mods as me) and loading it to improve the benefit of my add-ons.

But in the end wouldn't I rather just get another dyno tune once I add a bunch of mods?
1. How do know if you have a good tune from Ecutek? It's not something you can access to check.

2. Because others do know and are able to pass comment.

3. Yes.

Don't forget the cost!
sierra is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sierra For This Useful Post:
dokterdewe (09-15-2013), phatpanda (09-14-2013), RehabJeff86 (09-14-2013), Superhatch (09-13-2013)
Old 09-13-2013, 11:13 PM   #28
xjohnx
Grip>Slip

Drives: 13 SWP BRZ Ltd - Innovate Powered!
Thanked 1,716 Times in 1,031 Posts
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierra View Post
1. How do know if you have a good tune from Ecutek? It's not something you can access to check.
dyno test and datalog.
xjohnx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to xjohnx For This Useful Post:
RehabJeff86 (09-14-2013)

Tags
bye bye visconti u suck, fa20club stg1, open flash, openflash, tacky marketing is tacky, visconti roast