follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 10-22-2017, 07:07 AM   #2423
krayzie
Drive From Home

Drives: BRZ STI Performance
Thanked 3,111 Times in 2,007 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo0 View Post
What's a good place to source these parts? I'm interested in the 2017 aero parts minus the spoiler.

Not sure if it's better to go with APR front lip, side skirts, rear side bumper skirts, and possibly diffuser or get these TS/STI aero parts.
Your local Subaru dealer, so you don't have to pay the added cost of importing thru a Japanese retailer.
krayzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 10:49 AM   #2424
Mr.Impreza
Mr.Fujitsubo

Drives: 2018 STI
Thanked 1,552 Times in 784 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by krayzie View Post
Your local Subaru dealer, so you don't have to pay the added cost of importing thru a Japanese retailer.
Unless you have a source who will lower the value of parts lol

Quote:
You can get the flexible draw stiffeners as long as you are installing them together with the flexible tower bar as suggested by the catalog.
I can always count on you ^__~

Mr.Impreza is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.Impreza For This Useful Post:
krayzie (10-22-2017)
Old 10-22-2017, 10:54 AM   #2425
spike021

Drives: '17 Limited BRZ CWP w/ PP
Thanked 6,471 Times in 3,207 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
I thought Subaru dealers in the US can't order JDM parts from Japan?

I was at a dealer last week and asked their parts department about an STI knob for the BRZ and they said they couldn't get one (I didn't specify Japan).
spike021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 12:53 PM   #2426
krayzie
Drive From Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by spike021 View Post
I thought Subaru dealers in the US can't order JDM parts from Japan?

I was at a dealer last week and asked their parts department about an STI knob for the BRZ and they said they couldn't get one (I didn't specify Japan).
You mentioned aero parts. The aero parts have been available on this side of the pond for years.

If you want JDM specific parts you can try www.japanparts.com that's where I bought all of mine.
Old 10-22-2017, 12:57 PM   #2427
krayzie
Drive From Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Impreza View Post

Also, if anyone can confirm, does the STI battery Holder work on the North American battery?
&, regarding the STI shift knob, (picture added) is it heavier or lighter than stock?

~ ~ ~

& lastly, are there any other parts that are highly suggested from the STI catalog for the 2013-2016 models?

I'm already getting the oil cap, radiator cap, shift knob, possibly battery holder if it works and oil filter if they are available still. (For show basically)
Sorry I didn't finished reading your post last night.

Yes the battery holder fits the stock battery.

The shift knob in the picture I suspect is same as our stock one. The aluminum one in my avatar is slightly heavier, and the black Duracon one is slightly lighter.

I'm now back on the stock oil filter cuz it's very cheap, and both are Tokyo Roki - Made in Japan.
The Following User Says Thank You to krayzie For This Useful Post:
Mr.Impreza (10-24-2017)
Old 10-22-2017, 01:51 PM   #2428
spike021

Drives: '17 Limited BRZ CWP w/ PP
Thanked 6,471 Times in 3,207 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quote:
You mentioned aero parts. The aero parts have been available on this side of the pond for years.

If you want JDM specific parts you can try www.japanparts.com that's where I bought all of mine.
Nah that was @Jo0 (sp.?)
spike021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 02:42 PM   #2429
Jo0

Drives: '17 CWP Limited w/ PP
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
APR front, side, and rear are the same price as the STI front, side, and rear

decisions decisions
Jo0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 06:35 PM   #2430
nikitopo

Drives: '15 BRZ RA
Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,261 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
However, with just my STI springs, and the soon STI tower bar, should I also get the STI Flexible Draw Stiffeners or will those ruin the balance of the car?
There were some old posts about the draw stiffeners saying that induce more understeer and they ruin the balance of the car. For sure they'll give you less oversteer. I guess it depends also the driving style and how much understeer is acceptable per driver. Personally, I have only the STI tower bar. I don't feel the stiffeners are absolutely needed, especially after changing to coilovers. On the other hand, I was feeling that I needed the rear subframe bushings and bolts plus the steering rack bolts. Both tightened the rear and front frame and minimized some small flex.

What I feel now a bit "weak" point are the rear axles. There is a bit hysteresis transferring the torque on the road. Under hard acceleration they also give the feeling that you lose a bit the traction, gain it again, loose it and so on. All these on the straight. I have already UHP tires, so it is not a tire issue. I've read very good Japanese reviews about the thicker rear axles, with only disadvantage the very long procedure to change the car's documents. Yes this is needed there. In other countries, I don't believe it is necessary. Most probably, no one will realize they are changed.
nikitopo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nikitopo For This Useful Post:
Mr.Impreza (10-24-2017)
Old 10-24-2017, 10:43 AM   #2431
Mr.Impreza
Mr.Fujitsubo

Quote:
Sorry I didn't finished reading your post last night.

Yes the battery holder fits the stock battery.

The shift knob in the picture I suspect is same as our stock one. The aluminum one in my avatar is slightly heavier, and the black Duracon one is slightly lighter.

I'm now back on the stock oil filter cuz it's very cheap, and both are Tokyo Roki - Made in Japan.
Good to know. I prefer to keep close to stock weight/slightly heavier shift knob.
Main reason why I didn't like the TRD option since it was lighter & the weird design didn't win me over. Overall it seems like I don't like anything TRD on this car apart from the spoiler >__<

Yeah, I'm going to just go with the stock oil filter also since the STI one seems over-priced just like the TRD one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitopo View Post
There were some old posts about the draw stiffeners saying that induce more understeer and they ruin the balance of the car. For sure they'll give you less oversteer. I guess it depends also the driving style and how much understeer is acceptable per driver. Personally, I have only the STI tower bar. I don't feel the stiffeners are absolutely needed, especially after changing to coilovers. On the other hand, I was feeling that I needed the rear subframe bushings and bolts plus the steering rack bolts. Both tightened the rear and front frame and minimized some small flex.

What I feel now a bit "weak" point are the rear axles. There is a bit hysteresis transferring the torque on the road. Under hard acceleration they also give the feeling that you lose a bit the traction, gain it again, loose it and so on. All these on the straight. I have already UHP tires, so it is not a tire issue. I've read very good Japanese reviews about the thicker rear axles, with only disadvantage the very long procedure to change the car's documents. Yes this is needed there. In other countries, I don't believe it is necessary. Most probably, no one will realize they are changed.
Yeah, I don't want to get too deep into modifications. I'm pretty much complete with my car once I place the order on all the STI parts I want in November (Apart from the Fujitsubo Header and some minor cosmetic mods)

I won't even order the Draw Stiffeners since the car already handles perfectly for me and I don't find it necessary.
I already can take corners and highway on-ramps faster than I ever could in my WRX STI with coilovers and a lot more hp haha.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mr.Impreza For This Useful Post:
krayzie (10-24-2017), nikitopo (10-24-2017)
Old 10-24-2017, 02:27 PM   #2432
krayzie
Drive From Home

Quote:
Main reason why I didn't like the TRD option since it was lighter & the weird design didn't win me over.
It's not just the oversized shift knob, even the TRD x Momo steering wheel also has this weird chubby design that even Dori Dori said it's too thick.

Quote:
I won't even order the Draw Stiffeners since the car already handles perfectly for me and I don't find it necessary.
I already can take corners and highway on-ramps faster than I ever could in my WRX STI with coilovers and a lot more hp haha.
For me the draw stiffeners are more for that hunkered down cornering feel that I miss dearly from double wishbone setups. Yes I gave up on the Golf GTI early on as I figured no money could get rid of that vehicle roll over feeling on turns.
The Following User Says Thank You to krayzie For This Useful Post:
Mr.Impreza (10-24-2017)
Old 10-24-2017, 02:51 PM   #2433
DSOmegaX

Drives: '19 M2 Comp, '20 GR Supra
Thanked 2,153 Times in 986 Posts
Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
It's not just the oversized shift knob, even the TRD x Momo steering wheel also has this weird chubby design that even Dori Dori said it's too thick.

For me the draw stiffeners are more for that hunkered down cornering feel that I miss dearly from double wishbone setups. Yes I gave up on the Golf GTI early on as I figured no money could get rid of that vehicle roll over feeling on turns.

The unibraces for the vag cars work wonders for controlling body roll

2019 BMW M2 Competition | LBB | ///M Performance Build Thread
2020 Toyota GR Supra | Turbulence | TRD | Build Thread
DSOmegaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 03:33 PM   #2434
krayzie
Drive From Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSOmegaX View Post
The unibraces for the vag cars work wonders for controlling body roll
It's more to do with the nature of the macpherson strut design, I even had the rigid collars for the front subframe but it's just not the same.

You can't beat the feeling of low center of gravity and double wishbone suspension. Old Hondas didn't even need any mods it felt right from the get go.
Old 10-24-2017, 04:32 PM   #2435
nikitopo

Drives: '15 BRZ RA
Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,261 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
For me the draw stiffeners are more for that hunkered down cornering feel that I miss dearly from double wishbone setups.
Do you remember how much caster do you have with the bilsteins? Is it within the factory limits or do you have a much larger positive angle? Not directly relevant with the stiffeners, but it is another way to improve the weak points of the MacPherson setups. A bigger positive angle can improve the actual (dynamic) camber while cornering.
nikitopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 05:18 PM   #2436
Mr.Impreza
Mr.Fujitsubo

Quote:

Oh, nice to know Mr.Tsuchiya didn't approve of the wheel since I don't like it either. I find it uncomfortable and too thick.

Tags
it sucks to be broke, sti omg!