follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 12-24-2016, 10:52 AM   #1
Narcoden

Drives: '13 Ultramarine FR-S
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Have emissions test with oft

Forgive me if this has been discussed, I've looked over the past few days...

I have a '13 FRS and live in Illinois were we have emissions testing. It's done through the obd-ii port and normally if you don't have a cel active, you are good to go.

I just installed JDL headers with cat a few weeks ago and flashed to stage 2 with my oft. Does that disable the second o2 sensor? I'm worried the test will catch that. I also don't know if I'll throw a cel flashing back to stock. Don't really have time to experiment as I don't take my car out ever with salt on the roads.

Any advise?

Thank you!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Narcoden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 11:00 AM   #2
cjd

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Thanked 2,925 Times in 1,712 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Garage
Stage 2 tune does disable the code, which may cause a failed ready-check. I'm unsure whether a single failed ready-check is an issue. I'll find out one of these days, maybe this summer...

With a catted header, you should be able to enable everything. I'm not sure that it'll pass if you flash right before you head over to be tested, but I can't find the information I thought I remember reading...
cjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 01:58 PM   #3
renfield90
The Stig's German cousin

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjd View Post
Stage 2 tune does disable the code, which may cause a failed ready-check. I'm unsure whether a single failed ready-check is an issue. I'll find out one of these days, maybe this summer...

With a catted header, you should be able to enable everything. I'm not sure that it'll pass if you flash right before you head over to be tested, but I can't find the information I thought I remember reading...
You will pass all readiness checks with a stage 2 tune. Someone in AZ posted the proof as logged with Torque Pro. They also passed emissions, which for us is just an OBDII check.

OP, you should be fine to pass as is. Also, if you flash right before heading over, all your readiness checks will get reset. You need ~20 drive cycles to pass.
renfield90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to renfield90 For This Useful Post:
cjd (12-27-2016)
Old 12-27-2016, 05:19 PM   #4
perryair
junior mafia

Drives: ‘20 sti limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narcoden View Post

I have a '13 FRS and live in Illinois were we have emissions testing. It's done through the obd-ii port and normally if you don't have a cel active, you are good to go.

I just installed JDL headers with cat a few weeks ago and flashed to stage 2 with my oft. Does that disable the second o2 sensor? I'm worried the test will catch that. I also don't know if I'll throw a cel flashing back to stock. Don't really have time to experiment as I don't take my car out ever with salt on the roads.

Any advise?

Thank you!

just curious but how long did it take jdl to send you the header? im at a month now and trying my best to be patient.
Old 12-27-2016, 05:41 PM   #5
Blue_Elite

Drives: 2016 Asphalt FR-S, 2008 E90 335i
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryair View Post
just curious but how long did it take jdl to send you the header? im at a month now and trying my best to be patient.

I ordered mine 24 Nov and just received it last Thursday, 22 Dec. The unit was shipped from JDL's AZ facility on 20 Dec.

If you ordered through a vendor you can always reach out for an update.

You have to remember the crazy high volume of orders they probably received. Each unit is hand welded and I can tell you firsthand that the quality is very impressive. Also, they probably opt to ship units out in 'waves' around this time of year, so yours may be close!
Blue_Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Blue_Elite For This Useful Post:
perryair (12-27-2016)
Old 12-27-2016, 06:51 PM   #6
renfield90
The Stig's German cousin

Quote:
Originally Posted by perryair View Post
They are hand made to order. If they get a big backlog, it takes time to work through. Trust me, it's worth the wait, they are gorgeous pieces.

Also shipping after the holidays can have big delays because the major shipping companies focus on getting everything delivered by the 24th, and some stuff will push an extra day. UPS (and probably FedEx) also observed Christmas Day on the 26th so no packages got moved, and will also observe New Year's on the 2nd so no packages moving either. I have seen stuff that is in transit during/after Christmas take twice as long as normal to get to its destination (worked at UPS while in university).
The Following User Says Thank You to renfield90 For This Useful Post:
perryair (12-27-2016)
Old 12-27-2016, 09:03 PM   #7
oldgunfan

Drives: 2014 BRZ sterling silver
Quote:

Any advise?

Thank you!

If you have a Catted Header you are supposed to use STG-1 tune. STG-2 has the Cat too cold code disabled.
oldgunfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 06:56 PM   #8
Narcoden

Thanks guys. I'll flash back to stock and dive it a few days when the roads are clear.

As for the header, I think I had it in about a month. I wasn't in a hurry and wasn't watching the days pass. Lol. I will say it was a huge pita to install. I gave up the first day. Actually my arms got to tired to hold it up. But was able to wrangle it in the second day.

I read somewhere that the stage II can be used with this catted header. It's sweet!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk
Old 12-28-2016, 07:25 PM   #9
cjd

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Thanked 2,925 Times in 1,712 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Garage
Stage 1 is for use with the stock header. Stage 2 is for aftermarket headers.

You should be OK on the Stage 2, based on what @renfield90 said.
cjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 11:31 AM   #10
solidONE

Drives: FR-S Whiteout
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by renfield90 View Post
You will pass all readiness checks with a stage 2 tune. Someone in AZ posted the proof as logged with Torque Pro. They also passed emissions, which for us is just an OBDII check.

OP, you should be fine to pass as is. Also, if you flash right before heading over, all your readiness checks will get reset. You need ~20 drive cycles to pass.
If that's the case, I guess if the smog tech lets you slide on the visual inspection there shouldn't be any worries even if you dont run a cat?

cowardice is the mother of cruelty.
solidONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 12:08 PM   #11
renfield90
The Stig's German cousin

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidONE View Post
If that's the case, I guess if the smog tech lets you slide on the visual inspection there shouldn't be any worries even if you dont run a cat?
Not all states do a visual inspection.
Old 12-29-2016, 02:55 PM   #12
Tectoniic
#FiftyShadesOfBlue

Drives: 2015 FR-S
Thanked 1,425 Times in 730 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Thanks guys. I'll flash back to stock and dive it a few days when the roads are clear.

As for the header, I think I had it in about a month. I wasn't in a hurry and wasn't watching the days pass. Lol. I will say it was a huge pita to install. I gave up the first day. Actually my arms got to tired to hold it up. But was able to wrangle it in the second day.

I read somewhere that the stage II can be used with this catted header. It's sweet!

I'm using the off the shelf stage 2 93 tune during the winter with my catted header and have not thrown any codes or had any problems. I think as long as it is a high flow cat with less than 200 cells or something along those lines shiv said it should be OK with the stage 2 tune as long as you just monitor it every so often.

I have my OFT always on when driving and I've only had the advance multiplier drop to .88 a couple times when I got on the throttle too hard at low rpms in a higher gear.

EDIT: forgot the main reason I was going to post in here After I had been running the stage 2 tune for about a month I checked it at my buddy's shop and it didn't show anything that would fail the readiness test

Tectoniic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 10:49 PM   #13
oldgunfan

Drives: 2014 BRZ sterling silver
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjd View Post
Stage 1 is for use with the stock header. Stage 2 is for aftermarket headers.

You should be OK on the Stage 2, based on what @renfield90 said.
Shiv steve99 all of them will tell you that the off the shelf STG-1 tune is for ANY CATTED HEADER stock or not. you can adjust the STG-2 tune for a catted header but I doubt you will gain anything.
oldgunfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 09:04 AM   #14
Narcoden

Just to complete this thread for reference.. I flashed the car back to stock, drive it around 200 miles with my JDL headers with cat and got it tested yesterday. It passed, no lights came on.

Pulled out of testing station and flashed back to stage II 93 and all is right again!

The Following User Says Thank You to Narcoden For This Useful Post:
vintagemxer (02-11-2017)