follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 07-27-2017, 06:36 PM   #1
wootwoot

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Rear mounts at max height?

If you were running coilovers like V3's or B16's and you set them at their maximum height as per the manufacturers recommendation, would you gain anything by installing rear mounts that increase travel? If the coilovers are already at max height is their any travel to be gained with the top mount?
wootwoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 07:48 PM   #2
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Rear mounts "that increase travel" simply reposition mountpoint of strut higher. Mostly for cases where one wants to lower car without reducing strut travel for that.
If you already have coilovers set at max height, with those mounts you'll get same "travel" but car will be lowered by amount they state to reposition that mountpoint higher. Think of opposite to lift spacers. Travel same - but car is higher/ground clearance increased with spacers.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 08:00 PM   #3
wootwoot

Don't they make rear mounts that increase travel but leave the ride height alone? I thought they made mounts that just allow the shock and bump stop to travel a bit higher (into the recess) but the mounting point remains the same..... no?
Old 07-27-2017, 08:34 PM   #4
swarb

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,271 Posts
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wootwoot View Post
If you were running coilovers like V3's or B16's and you set them at their maximum height as per the manufacturers recommendation, would you gain anything by installing rear mounts that increase travel? If the coilovers are already at max height is their any travel to be gained with the top mount?
Shock travel no, if shock is already extended at max length.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wootwoot View Post
Don't they make rear mounts that increase travel but leave the ride height alone? I thought they made mounts that just allow the shock and bump stop to travel a bit higher (into the recess) but the mounting point remains the same..... no?
Yes, but those are usually for people who lower and are using stock length struts that are semi compressed by running shorter/lowering springs. It is used to fully extend the shock, aka gaining that lost travel.

You can't add shock travel without changing shocks if they are already fully extended.
Max length and min length stay the same.

Are you trying to gain travel or height?
swarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 09:26 PM   #5
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
shock/bump stop travel is shock/strut/coilover itself (and it's constructive part, bumpstop) dependent. Different mounts (or spacers to existing ones) don't do anything to reduce or increase travel. Just change mountpoint, allowing with same travel strut be mounted higher or lower. There are also aftermarket LCAs that unlike those mounts change lower mountpoint, but for same purpose. Mostly to allow keep travel while lowering, not actually "increase" it. I guess, product naming must be a bit misleading.

BTW, haven't seen coilovers maximum height being also same as per manufacturer's suggestion (of course, if one leaves unadjustable ones aside). In most cases there is adjustment range, with manufacturer advised setting of somewhere inbetween. Eg. drop 10-30mm with advised 15mm and alike. Though some report that for many coilovers it's possible to adjust also higher then what manufacturer states in specs.

And yes, what are your goals, for what are you after? I can only guess from OP if you were considering "setting to max travel", that you want increase that travel/and also maybe increase ground clearance, for something like bad roads compliance/capability?
Imho KWs (or based on those RCE tarmac lines) should have more travel then stock suspension. But their overall height/stated adjustment range is less then stock's. So maybe these + lift spacers? There is also TRD rally suspension (+10mm), but haven't seen reviews of it, so not going to advise. Then IIRC there should be something from Feal. Then also uber expensive custom real rally coilovers that most probably will be 3 times outside of your budget and need to be frequently overhauled
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 10:58 PM   #6
wootwoot

Just trying to get all the bump travel I can from the rear. I believe the car will be lowered .7" with the KW's at max height which is as low as I want to be. I do appreciate all the input.
Old 07-28-2017, 01:30 AM   #7
fuddbutter
Potato Farmer

Drives: #SLOBRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
It shouldn't change the travel no matter if you have the car at max height or lowered using the same coilover,
different coilovers can have different travel lengths, I think mine are only 100mm, and that was with them being custom made, and with part shop max LCA's which drops the lower mounting of the coilover down.

I don't really know much about the KW's though.
Old 07-28-2017, 09:43 AM   #8
JazzleSAURUS

Drives: 15 BRZ LTD, 05 FXT
I may be in a unique position to help.

I run ST's on all my personal cars, and have been the wrench behind the @LiftedBRZ project.

If you're trying run coilovers like the KW's where the bottom mount is fixed, and not what controls ride height, and aren't trying to actually lift it, just run the height at the upper end of KW's recommended ride height. You won't be compromising damper stroke much if at all, that's how KW designed them.

If you want to lower your car, while retaining as much stroke as possible, that's where the upper mount options come into play. Something like the Raceseng 1" or 2" upper mount will help you retain 1" or 2" respectively of stroke as you lower past the upper end of KW's recommended ride height.

I have my car dropped about 1.3" on ST's with stock top mounts all around, and haven't had any issues with bump stops or lack of stroke.

To properly setup these cars with as minimal of a drop as possible, measure hub to fender of your car stock, install and adjust until you have hub to fender - 20mm. That is the correct heighest setting for this coilover kit. These coilovers operating range is a 20-50mm drop. Towards the 50mm end you will experience a lack of stroke, (that's nearly a full 2" drop.)
SOLD: 2015 WRB BRZ Limited ('02 WRX BBS, S-04's, Stoptech Sport pads, MXP SP, AVO drop in filter, Mishimoto Intake tube, decatted header, OFT 93 Stage 2 EL Tune, Kartboy rear shifter bushing, Whiteline transmission and subframe lockout bushings, ST Coilovers, SPC Camber bolts w/smaller crash bolt, SPC LCA's & SPC Toe Arm bushings, Red TOMs, TRD Wing.)
JazzleSAURUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 02:01 PM   #9
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,351 Times in 2,134 Posts
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Garage
Adding upper mounts that give you more bump travel on the shock do so by giving up droop travel.

If the coilover manufacturer suggests a given drop and you're running higher than that I wouldn't run an upper mount that adds bump travel, you're already getting less droop travel than the manufacturer suggests.
The Following User Says Thank You to wparsons For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (07-28-2017)
Old 07-28-2017, 03:08 PM   #10
JazzleSAURUS

Drives: 15 BRZ LTD, 05 FXT
I think I'm struggling to understand what OP is trying to achieve, and for what purpose.
SOLD: 2015 WRB BRZ Limited ('02 WRX BBS, S-04's, Stoptech Sport pads, MXP SP, AVO drop in filter, Mishimoto Intake tube, decatted header, OFT 93 Stage 2 EL Tune, Kartboy rear shifter bushing, Whiteline transmission and subframe lockout bushings, ST Coilovers, SPC Camber bolts w/smaller crash bolt, SPC LCA's & SPC Toe Arm bushings, Red TOMs, TRD Wing.)
JazzleSAURUS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JazzleSAURUS For This Useful Post:
wparsons (08-01-2017)