follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 11-19-2014, 11:57 PM   #1
Arcadien Angel
I may be an idiot

Drives: Winona - White 2014 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Biometric Killswitch

Okay, so hear me out. I need an opinion on an idea I've been brewing up.

I'm kind of an electronic junky, so I tend to buy or make electronics that I may not always need. Like for example: Do I NEED a kill switch on my Scion FRS while it's parked on a military base? Probably not.

But it's kind of cool (assuming you don't mind having to hit the switch every time you enter/exit your vehicle, which I don't), and it IS functional in the sense that it would certainly help that much more in the event of a possible car theft. Not to mention, possible insurance rate reduction?

So if I haven't already sold you on this, allow me to continue to the next part of my thought process: Biometric killswitch. Right? RIGHT? Right. Allow me to address some points of interest.

-"But Angel, that would be crazy expensive". False.

Fingerprint scanner: $32. https://www.sparkfun.com/products/13007

Arduino Uno Micro controller: $25 [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Arduino-UNO-board-DIP-ATmega328P/dp/B006H06TVG"]Amazon.com: Arduino UNO R3 board with DIP ATmega328P: Computers & Accessories[/ame]

-"But Angel, the 12V car battery would fry those boards." False.

7805 (12V -> 5V) Voltage Regulator: http://www.researchcell.com/wp-conte...it-Diagram.jpg

-"But Angel, unless you have a switch to turn on/off the biometric sensor/Arduino micro controller each time you use it, then it would drain the car battery because it is always on." Also false, but good try.

Is there not a sensor in the driver's seat that tells the car if someone is sitting in the seat of not? Let's say that that same sensor supplies power to the biometrics when someone sits in the driver's seat. Boom.

-"But Angel, it's kind of silly waste of money, don't you think?"

I bought vertical doors for my car. I think you should shut your mouth.

So when the scanner "approves" of the fingerprint, it can pretty much do any of the following:

Act as a pushbutton start, and start the car.
Supply power to a pushbutton start.
Supply power to the stock ignition switch.

Of course there will be a bypass in the event of an emergency, a malfunction with the system, or if a mechanic or someone similar needs access o the car.

Please let me know if you have any better ideas, or if you are interested in updates on how the project goes.

Last edited by Arcadien Angel; 11-23-2014 at 03:02 PM.
Arcadien Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Arcadien Angel For This Useful Post:
GT86_PRAGUE (12-18-2014), JohnJuan (11-20-2014), Teclis (12-04-2014)
Old 11-20-2014, 07:16 AM   #2
Chimera

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Interested. My current thoughts are that you could probably go simpler by having the system interrupt power to the fuel pump. Old school way of doing this. My grandfather had a car with a simple hidden toggle switch to disable the fuel pump.
Chimera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 04:44 PM   #3
Freetime

Drives: Raven Manual FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
But Angel, what do you do when someone else has to move your car for some reason? Like in an emergency. But no...
Freetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 07:18 PM   #4
Arcadien Angel
I may be an idiot

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freetime View Post
But Angel, what do you do when someone else has to move your car for some reason? Like in an emergency. But no...
Way ahead of you:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcadien Angel View Post
Of course there will be a bypass in the event of an emergency, a malfunction with the system, or if a mechanic or someone similar needs access o the car.
Old 11-20-2014, 07:27 PM   #5
swarb

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,271 Posts
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
but angel, if there is a button under the sensor, couldnt someone just press the button under that sensor?
swarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 08:06 PM   #6
ScorpionOzzy

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
but angel... this is a terrible idea. anyone with simple electronics knowledge will be able to trace all that wiring to whatever relay you're using to close whatever circuit and just bypass it altogether. Nowadays if someone wants to steal your new car they're just going to tow it away. nobody drives away stolen cars anymore (unless the key is already in it.) if you want it for "cool" factor then go for it, but it won't provide you with any more security, and certainly no insurance discount.
ScorpionOzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 12:36 AM   #7
kchar
Because Racecar

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
I think its an awesome idea because its something I would have never considered. Thumbs up for being a DIYer!
kchar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 12:36 AM   #8
abraxis

Drives: many
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
but angel, now I can steal your car with a couple strips of scotch tape.

Thanks, bye.
abraxis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 03:00 PM   #9
Arcadien Angel
I may be an idiot

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by abraxis View Post
but angel, now I can steal your car with a couple strips of scotch tape.

Thanks, bye.
You'll still need the key/keyless entry to unlock and enter the car. which means that anyone that can get into my car, and bypass the scanner to start my car, can just as easily get into my car and hotwire the ignition. so nothing changes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kchar View Post
I think its an awesome idea because its something I would have never considered. Thumbs up for being a DIYer!
Thank you. To be honest, it's less about function and more about looking cool and unique. 'Cause come on... who else has done this? And I think it'll be a fun project.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarb View Post
but angel, if there is a button under the sensor, couldnt someone just press the button under that sensor?
The button under the scanner only supplies power to the fingerprint scanner itself... not the whole car. Anyway, I scrapped that idea, I'm going with the "the fingerprint scanner is supplied power when someone sits in the driver seat and activates the sensor in the seat" idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScorpionOzzy View Post
but angel... this is a terrible idea. anyone with simple electronics knowledge will be able to trace all that wiring to whatever relay you're using to close whatever circuit and just bypass it altogether. Nowadays if someone wants to steal your new car they're just going to tow it away. nobody drives away stolen cars anymore (unless the key is already in it.) if you want it for "cool" factor then go for it, but it won't provide you with any more security, and certainly no insurance discount.
Thank you for your input. First: If someone does in fact trace the wiring and just bypass the whole scanner, that means that they had to break into my car first,in which case that could just as well hotwire the ignition, so there really is no difference there. And you are right about the towing bit.

Second: It pretty much is mostly for the looks and the uniqueness of the whole project. Not expecting it to really save my car. If the potential thief is motivated enough to steal my car, he is GOING to steal it... no matter what anyone does to it.

Thanks for the input everyone!
Old 11-23-2014, 05:08 PM   #10
Arcadien Angel
I may be an idiot

Garage
UPDATE #1

I found a place for the biometric scanner.

Behold:

I have the size dimensions of the scanner, but not of the sport/snow mode button. So once I get that I can see if the scanner will fit nice and snugly or if it'll be a PITA to have it fit properly. Worst case scenario, it doesn't fit well and I'll end up putting it in the empty "tray" where the heated seat buttons would be...

In some, currently undetermined, location in the cars interior, there will be three of these on/off switches:

One will supply power to primary power, one to auxiliary power, one to the fuel pump.

In the same location will be another another button, this one a momentary push button.

This button will be for the ignition, which is why it's momentary.

Scenario 1: A switch in the driver seat will supply power to the scanner only when someone is sitting in it. I scan my right thumb, and power is supplied to the buttons, lighting up their LEDs with a red light. As you hit each button they will turn blue/green/white/orange/whatever you like.

After the car has started, the fingerprint scanner will lose power until the car is turned off again.
Old 11-23-2014, 05:32 PM   #11
stugray
Banned

Drives: 2013 GBS BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,445 Times in 711 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
What are you going to use to communicate with the FP sensor and the various switches?
You will need some software to operate the FP sensor.

And how do you intend to inhibit the startup?

For the BRZ you could just replace the push button with the FP sensor and an arduino, and it would just forward the push button signal to the ECU if the fingerprint was a match.

Superfluous but still cool.
You could even make a LED "angel-eye" like frame around the sensor that would change colors based on authentication.

AND you could taser someone that fails authentication :-)

Places I have worked actually had a phone booth that you walked into and did a retinal scan. If you failed the scan, the booth locked you in and guards had the option of gassing you by remote.
Other places had two levels of authentication. If you were being coerced by someone to enter your code, you entered a special code that gave you access but sent out the silent alarm....
stugray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 07:07 PM   #12
Arcadien Angel
I may be an idiot

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by stugray View Post
What are you going to use to communicate with the FP sensor and the various switches?
You will need some software to operate the FP sensor.

And how do you intend to inhibit the startup?

For the BRZ you could just replace the push button with the FP sensor and an arduino, and it would just forward the push button signal to the ECU if the fingerprint was a match.

Superfluous but still cool.
You could even make a LED "angel-eye" like frame around the sensor that would change colors based on authentication.

AND you could taser someone that fails authentication :-)

Places I have worked actually had a phone booth that you walked into and did a retinal scan. If you failed the scan, the booth locked you in and guards had the option of gassing you by remote.
Other places had two levels of authentication. If you were being coerced by someone to enter your code, you entered a special code that gave you access but sent out the silent alarm....
Check the link for the FPS on my first post. What's nice about it, is that it is actually capable of reading and identifying fingerprints with with its onboard 32-bit CPU. And, again, as per the first post, I will have an Arduino Uno send and receive signals and commands from the FPS, the switches, and ECU.

Inhibit the startup?

And yes, you are correct with the BRZ push button ignition idea you stated. And the LED color changing idea is a good one. The FPS already has a blue LED light up whenever it has power.

Thanks for contributing!

Sent by my Artificial Intelligence.

Edelbrock SC w/ Flex Fuel - 18x9.5 Titan 7 wheels w/ 265/35x18 Michelin PS4S - Radium Dual Catch Cans - Verus Aero - OEM Brembos - Prototype HVT 6100e Dynamic Dampening Coilovers - JDL 4-2-1 EL / OP / Dual Catted FP w/ Greddy SP Supreme Catback
Old 12-11-2014, 02:05 PM   #13
VTG23

Drives: '12 GT86, '92 Turbo Del Sol VTEC
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Scenario #1 sounds awesome.
I wouldn't rely on this system necessarily for security, but I think it's an awesome idea.

I own a EU-spec man GT86, comes with push-button start. Would be cool to have the scanner spliced into the power wire for the button. So the start-up procedure would be: clutch, scan finger (button powers on after scan, not after clutch press), press button.
I'm a mechanical engineer so I honestly have no idea how to do the above, but if you manage to do it, I would really like the schematics for it.

Good luck!
VTG23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 02:46 PM   #14
Koa
Sweeper

Drives: '02 RA Bugeye | '15 FRS
Thanked 1,488 Times in 788 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Garage
Question: If in an emergency where you aren't there, and someone needs to use your car, what is the work-around again? Another button? A sequence of things?

Sounds like a great idea, but in practice this may be more of a hinderence..
Koa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
biometric, electronics, fingerprint, scanner