follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > NY / NJ / CT / PA

NY / NJ / CT / PA NY, NJ, CT, PA

User Tag List

Old 03-11-2019, 07:42 AM   #29
jjaisli

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Firestorm
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
That's showing as a dead link. Is the link incorrect or was the story removed?
jjaisli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 07:56 AM   #30
bmacfrs

Drives: 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjaisli View Post
That's showing as a dead link. Is the link incorrect or was the story removed?
Try it now. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Old 03-19-2019, 05:33 PM   #31
gravitylover

Drives: 2013 BRZ Premium 6MT White
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I had to stop in at my regular dealer to ask about getting my rear hub bearings changed because they're toast so asked about having the plugs and belt changed while the motor is out of the car for the recall. Initially the adviser said it would be regular price because all they have to do is pull the valve covers. I told him not to f with me, that I've researched it thoroughly and know better. I started going into what gets done and he excused himself to go talk to the tech that's doing the work. He came back and said that I would only have to pay for the parts and that it would be silly to "nickle and dime" me for parts that have to come off an engine that's coming out of the car anyway. He quoted the parts at about $100. If anyone in the lower Hudson Valley is on the fence about where to get the work done I'd say head for Curry Subaru and speak with Phil (only speak with Phil!) and get yours scheduled. They will direct you to someone "upstairs" for the scheduling but he is the adviser to discuss additional work with. He also said that the car will most likely be in the shop for 10-14 days and they are giving rental cars for the duration of time that the car is there, I expect there to be a small charge for the rental because they are using Enterprise which is pretty much across the street but at least they don't hang you out to dry and leave you walking.

I WILL NOT be having them do the bearings though as they want $430 per side! The parts are about $60 or so (each side) online and they want $170 plus labor each! Arrgh... It sounds like a fairly simple job so I'm ordering the parts now and will cross my fingers I get it right and don't disable my car in the driveway. If anyone has done theirs and wants to come help me I'm ready and willing to accept your guidance. There is beer and smokeables headed your way in return
Old 03-20-2019, 02:07 PM   #32
Pgh_Area

Drives: '14 Ultramarine Fr-S
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
I had to stop in at my regular dealer to ask about getting my rear hub bearings changed because they're toast so asked about having the plugs and belt changed while the motor is out of the car for the recall. Initially the adviser said it would be regular price because all they have to do is pull the valve covers. I told him not to f with me, that I've researched it thoroughly and know better. I started going into what gets done and he excused himself to go talk to the tech that's doing the work. He came back and said that I would only have to pay for the parts and that it would be silly to "nickle and dime" me for parts that have to come off an engine that's coming out of the car anyway. He quoted the parts at about $100. If anyone in the lower Hudson Valley is on the fence about where to get the work done I'd say head for Curry Subaru and speak with Phil (only speak with Phil!) and get yours scheduled. They will direct you to someone "upstairs" for the scheduling but he is the adviser to discuss additional work with. He also said that the car will most likely be in the shop for 10-14 days and they are giving rental cars for the duration of time that the car is there, I expect there to be a small charge for the rental because they are using Enterprise which is pretty much across the street but at least they don't hang you out to dry and leave you walking.

I WILL NOT be having them do the bearings though as they want $430 per side! The parts are about $60 or so (each side) online and they want $170 plus labor each! Arrgh... It sounds like a fairly simple job so I'm ordering the parts now and will cross my fingers I get it right and don't disable my car in the driveway. If anyone has done theirs and wants to come help me I'm ready and willing to accept your guidance. There is beer and smokeables headed your way in return

I've done front hub bearings on a 2wd truck, and the fronts on 2 4wd trucks. Fairly simple and straight forward. You shouldn't have a problem.
Pgh_Area is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 05:09 PM   #33
gravitylover

Drives: 2013 BRZ Premium 6MT White
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pgh_Area View Post
I've done front hub bearings on a 2wd truck, and the fronts on 2 4wd trucks. Fairly simple and straight forward. You shouldn't have a problem.
I know I'm just worried that they'll be seized or super tough to get out. They've been bad for a while and I figure that has generated a fair bit of heat, that plus our wonderful rust around here could make it challenging. Auto Zone has a nice hub puller set and a 10# slide hammer to rent so I'll grab those and a sixer and I should be good to go.
Old 03-21-2019, 09:49 PM   #34
vwalexkim@hotmail.com

Drives: brz
Quote:
Originally Posted by _______ View Post
Anyone in this area here modded were able to get their recall done with no problems? Mods I have that can get in their way is OFT tune UEL headers and an Mishimoto Oil Cooler will these mods be an issue?
I went to Paul Miller Subaru and I have (120kmiles)OFT tune, UEL header, strut bar, intake, and no problem. They even installed my Perrin pulleys, got new plugs, TOB.
Went in 3/11 Mon. out on 3/19 Tue. They test drove for 30miles after the recall job and I drove 190 miles on the same day and my oil on my oil deep stick looks so clean as cooking oil.
vwalexkim@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vwalexkim@hotmail.com For This Useful Post:
gravitylover (03-21-2019), Jcas (03-23-2019)

Tags
dealership, recall, valve spring