follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 02-18-2014, 10:20 PM   #43
brianhj

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by t.chk View Post
I am planning on testing it by connecting a 9V battery to 2 pins on one side and an LED to the corresponding pins on the other to see if it lights up if it does it is proof all the pins are connected and not just some of them
Dude what? Get a multimeter and do a continuity test.

I'm gonna be looking at mine Friday when I'm off work
brianhj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 10:39 PM   #44
t.chk

Drives: Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianhj View Post
Dude what? Get a multimeter and do a continuity test.

I'm gonna be looking at mine Friday when I'm off work
That is just stuff I have laying around the house thatd do the job. I could buy a meter but that is 35bucks I don't have till my tax return comes in at the end of the month but, If you do test please let us know. It would be greatly appreciated.
t.chk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 04:37 AM   #45
brianhj

Quote:
That is just stuff I have laying around the house thatd do the job. I could buy a meter but that is 35bucks I don't have till my tax return comes in at the end of the month but, If you do test please let us know. It would be greatly appreciated.
If I disconnect the battery and remove the fuses for the airbag am I gonna have any issues with the airbag light on my dash? My altima was a bitch about the airbag, I removed the front seat once and I could never get the damn airbag light to go away, even tried some reset procedure and it worked temporarily. I eventually had to take it in to nissan to get the damn light off.

Any issues like this?
Old 02-19-2014, 03:32 PM   #46
t.chk

Garage
Quote:
If I disconnect the battery and remove the fuses for the airbag am I gonna have any issues with the airbag light on my dash? My altima was a bitch about the airbag, I removed the front seat once and I could never get the damn airbag light to go away, even tried some reset procedure and it worked temporarily. I eventually had to take it in to nissan to get the damn light off.

Any issues like this?
I never disconnected the actual airbag just the battery, just rested it on my seat with a box. I can't answer your question. It sounds like your Nissan though you replaced the airbag which would need to be activated at the dealer/autobody shop.
Old 02-19-2014, 04:10 PM   #47
nalc

Drives: 13 BRZ Limited 6MT GBS
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
I've disconnected the seat airbags and reconnected them without adverse effects (I did have the battery disconnected the whole time however) but cannot speak for the steering wheel airbag.
nalc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 09:15 PM   #48
brianhj

Quote:
I never disconnected the actual airbag just the battery, just rested it on my seat with a box. I can't answer your question. It sounds like your Nissan though you replaced the airbag which would need to be activated at the dealer/autobody shop.
I didn't replace the airbag I just took my seats out to do sound deadening. Friday I'm just going to be checking the wiring under the airbag... good idea - I don't have to actually disconnect the airbag just get behind it. Thanks
Old 02-23-2014, 11:48 AM   #49
Deathalo

Drives: 2013 WR Blue Limited Manual BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmjjensen View Post
How much does that run from the dealer?
Idk... but it looks like a great match for a BRZ
Deathalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 10:01 AM   #50
brianhj

Quote:
The pins go all the way through. (At least two of them do, it was hard to see and hard to get my multimeter probes in there.)

They exit near the key hole (whatever) under the steering column cover. The cover comes off without taking your steering wheel off: it's actually split in two, a top half and a bottom half. There are two black screws holding it on. You have to turn your steering wheel left and right to get to them. Once those come out, pull on the steering column cover from the bottom and downwards while at the same time pressing against the hairline crack you see down the length of it. The clips should undo when you press and pull, there are about 4 of them. Cover will drop down.

The connector on the steering column looks exactly like the one under the airbag, it's white with 3 pins with wires being used.

Last edited by brianhj; 02-28-2014 at 10:19 AM. Reason: pic
Old 02-28-2014, 10:27 AM   #51
t.chk

Garage
Quote:
The pins go all the way through. (At least two of them do, it was hard to see and hard to get my multimeter probes in there.)

They exit near the key hole (whatever) under the steering column cover. The cover comes off without taking your steering wheel off: it's actually split in two, a top half and a bottom half. There are two black screws holding it on. You have to turn your steering wheel left and right to get to them. Once those come out, pull on the steering column cover from the bottom and downwards while at the same time pressing against the hairline crack you see down the length of it. The clips should undo when you press and pull, there are about 4 of them. Cover will drop down.

The connector on the steering column looks exactly like the one under the airbag, it's white with 3 pins with wires being used.

Excellent news! Thanks for testing this out man.
Old 02-28-2014, 01:03 PM   #52
xxscaxx

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quote:

Thats unfortunate you could only confirm two pins passing through, because you would NEED 3 to be able to get this working through the stalk

I was messing around the other day on the way home with places to mount the buttons, and I honestly don't think theres a great spot for the buttons on our current wheel setup right now. I haven't taken the buttons and looked for a mounting location yet in my car though.
xxscaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 04:51 PM   #53
brianhj

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxscaxx View Post
Thats unfortunate you could only confirm two pins passing through, because you would NEED 3 to be able to get this working through the stalk

I was messing around the other day on the way home with places to mount the buttons, and I honestly don't think theres a great spot for the buttons on our current wheel setup right now. I haven't taken the buttons and looked for a mounting location yet in my car though.
I tested all 7, they're good

The second connector on the column actually has 12 pins, not sure where the other 2 go
The Following User Says Thank You to brianhj For This Useful Post:
xxscaxx (03-05-2014)
Old 03-05-2014, 08:29 AM   #54
xxscaxx

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quote:
I tested all 7, they're good

The second connector on the column actually has 12 pins, not sure where the other 2 go

I'm not sure what type of pins those connectors take but I have a few lying around. Maybe I'll try to mount it up to there. Just need to figure out a location for the buttons. I still think I may hard mount it somewhere outside the steering wheel though.
xxscaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 12:06 PM   #55
tim35ct

Drives: 2013 Black Brz Premium 6sp
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
thanks to NALC and Dave (the rear cam harness) guy I was able to do this. you are no longer the only radio button guy and I topped your installation with a more factory look.
tim35ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 12:14 PM   #56
tim35ct

Drives: 2013 Black Brz Premium 6sp
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
heres a pic

tim35ct is offline   Reply With Quote