follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 08-20-2014, 04:06 PM   #43
hmong337
Emperor JDM

Drives: '91 MR2 Gen3 3SGTE, '13 FRS
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Watched this last night. Good video.

I've always said it just like the video. Give an FRS 240hp vs 240hp S2000, FRS is the winner.
Old 08-20-2014, 06:49 PM   #44
Skurge

Drives: 84 RX-7/13' FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
i've owned a 2001 S2000 for about 5 years now, for about 4 of those years it was pretty much a DD most of the year, bought an FRS just over a year ago and now am driving the 86 99% of the time.

background
S2000 is stock save for a cold air and a test pipe, wheels and tires
FRS is bone stock

that being said...

as far as the throttle goes, i cannot stand the 86's. that is one of, if not my biggest complaint with the car, there is a HUGE delay in the throttle. so much so that i have to make sure i make it a point to put my foot back down what seems like very very early to get the same type of shift that just comes natural in the honda.

engine power, to me, the 86 seems like it pulls a lot harder in the low range than the honda, but once you hit the almighty vtec, the honda feels much much better where the 86 falls flat. personally, i'm usually shifting at 4K as it just feels better lol

steering yes, the 86 wins in my book there, though i like how much resistance there is on the honda, the 86 has a better feel to it

trans/etc: the clutch on the 86 is way to soft for me, its hard to feel the engagement point. as for the shifting itself, the honda wins there also, if you haven't drive one. you wont find a better trans in a car under 60K

though i'm a fan of the 86's interior, why did they even give it an analog speedo? the honda is just more driver oriented IMO. I will say i like the seats better in the FRS

i'm not sure what else to say, I cant remember all the other things i wanted to add, feel free to ask any questions.

one last thing, love the videos man, have watched a few
Old 08-20-2014, 08:56 PM   #45
Cope52

Drives: 2014 BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Yeah when I'm running on the highway at 80 with over 4 grand on the clock, you hit the throttle and nothing. Seems like I'm punching thru inches of springy throttle travel. What can be done about this? The car is otherwise superb as a highway criuser.
Cope52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 09:02 PM   #46
FRSfan111
Sideways and smiling!

Drives: First 86 FRS 5/8/2012 (second US)
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cope52 View Post
Yeah when I'm running on the highway at 80 with over 4 grand on the clock, you hit the throttle and nothing. Seems like I'm punching thru inches of springy throttle travel. What can be done about this? The car is otherwise superb as a highway criuser.
Downshift.
FRSfan111 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to FRSfan111 For This Useful Post:
bedabi (08-23-2014), civicdrivr (08-21-2014), DJCarbine (08-22-2014), OICU812 (08-22-2014), raul (08-22-2014), strat61caster (08-20-2014)
Old 08-20-2014, 09:44 PM   #47
hmong337
Emperor JDM

Drives: '91 MR2 Gen3 3SGTE, '13 FRS
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skurge View Post
i've owned a 2001 S2000 for about 5 years now, for about 4 of those years it was pretty much a DD most of the year, bought an FRS just over a year ago and now am driving the 86 99% of the time.

background
S2000 is stock save for a cold air and a test pipe, wheels and tires
FRS is bone stock

that being said...

as far as the throttle goes, i cannot stand the 86's. that is one of, if not my biggest complaint with the car, there is a HUGE delay in the throttle. so much so that i have to make sure i make it a point to put my foot back down what seems like very very early to get the same type of shift that just comes natural in the honda.

engine power, to me, the 86 seems like it pulls a lot harder in the low range than the honda, but once you hit the almighty vtec, the honda feels much much better where the 86 falls flat. personally, i'm usually shifting at 4K as it just feels better lol

steering yes, the 86 wins in my book there, though i like how much resistance there is on the honda, the 86 has a better feel to it

trans/etc: the clutch on the 86 is way to soft for me, its hard to feel the engagement point. as for the shifting itself, the honda wins there also, if you haven't drive one. you wont find a better trans in a car under 60K

though i'm a fan of the 86's interior, why did they even give it an analog speedo? the honda is just more driver oriented IMO. I will say i like the seats better in the FRS

i'm not sure what else to say, I cant remember all the other things i wanted to add, feel free to ask any questions.

one last thing, love the videos man, have watched a few
Pretty much dead on. I drove an AP1 quite a few times. 9000 rpms screams! But I absolutely don't like rag tops. That's my only gripe. Gearbox is one of the best though.

I've always touted in saying that the FRS is like a 4 seater s2000 with less power but with a real roof.

You're right, I F*cking HATE the FRS drive-by-wire. I feel like I still can't drive the damn car smooth enough to my liking. Drive-by-cable = the best!
Old 08-20-2014, 09:51 PM   #48
Skurge

Drives: 84 RX-7/13' FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmong337 View Post
Pretty much dead on. I drove an AP1 quite a few times. 9000 rpms screams! But I absolutely don't like rag tops. That's my only gripe. Gearbox is one of the best though.

I've always touted in saying that the FRS is like a 4 seater s2000 with less power but with a real roof.

You're right, I F*cking HATE the FRS drive-by-wire. I feel like I still can't drive the damn car smooth enough to my liking. Drive-by-cable = the best!
who doesn't love the sound of 9K in the morning?

and not to mention, the rag top on the s2000 only lasts so long, its bound to get holes in it, same spot every time. I gave up on mine, the top stays down haha

i've always said the FRS should have only had two seats! same idea though!

ughhhh, damn drive by wire. it takes some getting used to thats for sure
Old 08-21-2014, 12:16 AM   #49
daiheadjai

Drives: 2003 S2000, 2008 Fit
Thanked 1,154 Times in 688 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
For all those hating on the Drive by Wire, there's no way to actually remove all that slop, but you can definitely improve it.
I felt switching to a light-weight crank pulley improved the feel immensely.
A friend of mine swears by his aftermarket throttle controller (though this was installed on a M/T 4cyl Camry SE).

If we can't go back to the days of cable throttle, at least we can make it mimic one.

Love the videos (including the other ones - I'm looking forward to adding camber so I can race Ferraris)
daiheadjai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 12:56 PM   #50
RockRoll

Drives: 2013 Civic Si
Yet another informative and entertaining video from Dezoris.
I've enjoyed your previous vids, keep up the good work!
RockRoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 01:16 PM   #51
PHLonomenal

Drives: Whiteout 2014 Scion FR-S
Garage
I am developing quite a hatred for drive by wire myself. My last 5 cars or so have had it but I've hated it most on the sportiest and most recent 2. My M3 and this FR-S.
Sucks the life out of these cars.

Sent from my StarTrek communicator using Tapatalk
Old 08-21-2014, 03:20 PM   #52
kodyo

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLonomenal View Post
I am developing quite a hatred for drive by wire myself. My last 5 cars or so have had it but I've hated it most on the sportiest and most recent 2. My M3 and this FR-S.
Sucks the life out of these cars.

Come on now, it's not THAT bad in the FRS.
kodyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 04:35 PM   #53
PHLonomenal

Drives: Whiteout 2014 Scion FR-S
Garage
S2000 vs FR-S BRZ Review | Video Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodyo View Post
Come on now, it's not THAT bad in the FRS.

You're right it's not but at least with the M3 I was waiting for something that would eventually happen. Everything about THIS car is a waiting game to build speed and momentum...which once it does it does quite well but in a car that will admittedly not throw you back in your seat you should have a more instantaneous throttle response IMO.
Sucks SOME of the life out of these cars.

The Following User Says Thank You to PHLonomenal For This Useful Post:
kodyo (08-21-2014)
Old 08-21-2014, 06:02 PM   #54
axelo
Banned

Drives: Whiteout frs
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I have enjoyed all the vids, great work guys!!!! I'm pretty sure the s2000 is a great car, way ahead of its time...but .we are living in a very different world now, and it says a lot from a car when is compared to the "famous" s2000 (a pile that is more than 10 yrs old).... frs is the sport car of my generation, people invest so much money for a sport car that they have to customize anyways... The Frs is so much more than a tuner car!!! Cars are like people, different personalities, and the frs is unique with more character than any other car in the business
What i bought from scion/toyota is the foundation for my dream sport car, and is worth every penny i put in (including gas)
Thnks for the vid!!!
axelo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to axelo For This Useful Post:
Dezoris (08-22-2014)
Old 08-22-2014, 09:12 AM   #55
misooscar

Drives:
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Thank you for all your hard work, Savage Geese, your videos helped me tremendously in my Vortech build...I've almost purchased the s2000 a few times over the years, but hard to spend so much for a high mileage, 10 yr old vehicle...the s2000 is a modern classic

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
misooscar is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to misooscar For This Useful Post:
Dezoris (08-23-2014)
Old 08-22-2014, 10:04 AM   #56
jaf89f

Drives: Raven MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLonomenal View Post
You're right it's not but at least with the M3 I was waiting for something that would eventually happen. Everything about THIS car is a waiting game to build speed and momentum...which once it does it does quite well but in a car that will admittedly not throw you back in your seat you should have a more instantaneous throttle response IMO.
Sucks SOME of the life out of these cars.

Shiv's most recent baseline tunes w/ the OFT have improved throttle response dramatically IMO (he said he made an extensive change to the MAF scaling). Either way, you should check it out if you don't have a tune already.
jaf89f is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jaf89f For This Useful Post:
PHLonomenal (08-22-2014)