follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 04-25-2017, 05:01 PM   #15
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynxis View Post
A lot of people are of the wrong impression regarding the cost of the PP Brembos when they see the PP only costs an extra ~$1200 over the BRZ limited model. A lot of that cost is subsidised by the savings the factory gets from your standard equipment. When those are gone, suddenly your $1200 upgrade now looks more like $4000.
Exactly! And it is no different than buying any other parts separately really.
Bet be pushing $150K to build the car out of dealer parts counter parts.
Lynxis (04-25-2017)
Old 04-26-2017, 01:19 PM   #16
CortJester24

Drives: 2017
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by trippinbillies40 View Post
Also to note: Are you positive 860SE wheels clear OEM BRZ Brembos?

And I completely disagree about stock brakes holding up to HPDE usage. If you're using your oem non-pp brakes at an HPDE, it won't take long to get brake fade. FWIW, that experience scared me enough that I'm replacing pads and fluid on my brembos before hitting the track.
I will be replacing the wheels and tires before I do anything braking wise just trying to get as much info as possible.
CortJester24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 09:06 PM   #17
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,351 Times in 2,134 Posts
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by trippinbillies40 View Post
Also to note: Are you positive 860SE wheels clear OEM BRZ Brembos?

And I completely disagree about stock brakes holding up to HPDE usage. If you're using your oem non-pp brakes at an HPDE, it won't take long to get brake fade. FWIW, that experience scared me enough that I'm replacing pads and fluid on my brembos before hitting the track.
You'll get fade with the PP brembos on stock pads/fluid too... if you plan to spend any time on a track, you need proper track pads/fluid, even with a good BBK.
The Following User Says Thank You to wparsons For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (04-27-2017)
Old 04-26-2017, 10:42 PM   #18
trippinbillies40

Drives: '22 WRB
Thanked 1,213 Times in 400 Posts
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
You'll get fade with the PP brembos on stock pads/fluid too... if you plan to spend any time on a track, you need proper track pads/fluid, even with a good BBK.
Which is why I bought pads and fluid
trippinbillies40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 10:33 PM   #19
etc

Drives: '13 FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vracer111 View Post
the Brembos ADD some unsprung weight over standard stock brakes.
Do you have a citation for that? I don't know about the PP brembos but the ats brembos end up 1lb lighter with one piece rotors and 5lbs lighter with two piece (girodisc) rotors. I would expect the PPs to be similar.

10lbs is definitely better but that is still a ways from adding wieght.

Last edited by etc; 05-01-2017 at 10:43 PM.
etc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 11:10 PM   #20
xn7485

Drives: 1995 Acura Integra GS-R
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by etc View Post
Do you have a citation for that? I don't know about the PP brembos but the ats brembos end up 1lb lighter with one piece rotors and 5lbs lighter with two piece (girodisc) rotors. I would expect the PPs to be similar.

I'm also in the same boat, trying to find slight upgrade without going BBK. Also considering etc's ATS Brembo upgrade: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104730

Mr. Moto gave some nice insight for this setup.
xn7485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 12:44 AM   #21
Vracer111

Drives: '13 Nissan Frontier (4.0L 6spd 2WD)
Thanked 1,245 Times in 669 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by etc View Post

No real proof, just theorizing off history of Brembo aftermarket designs (All heavier than stock) and the PP brake dimensions. If Brembo really opened up the inside vane area of the rotor more then they could possibly be lighter than stock. The rotors are one piece and physically larger in both diameter and thickness than stock, Brembo calipers aren't the lightest things ever, and the performance package adds some 20+lbs to the car... some of that has to be from the upgraded brake system. I'm willing to bet the PP Brembo's are heavier than stock...I don't think it's by much though.

It's the same brake setup as available on the Japanese BRZ tS model...someone has to know the weights of the components.
Old 05-02-2017, 11:42 AM   #22
JRitt

Drives: 2012 BRZ Premium WRB 6MT
Thanked 1,411 Times in 376 Posts
Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
No real proof, just theorizing off history of Brembo aftermarket designs (All heavier than stock) and the PP brake dimensions. If Brembo really opened up the inside vane area of the rotor more then they could possibly be lighter than stock. The rotors are one piece and physically larger in both diameter and thickness than stock, Brembo calipers aren't the lightest things ever, and the performance package adds some 20+lbs to the car... some of that has to be from the upgraded brake system. I'm willing to bet the PP Brembo's are heavier than stock...I don't think it's by much though.

It's the same brake setup as available on the Japanese BRZ tS model...someone has to know the weights of the components.
I've never put hands on one of these setups, but based on what I've read, the front PP disc is the same one-piece 326x30mm disc from the STI. That disc weighs approximately 21.8 lbs. The OEM Brembo's from the STI weigh roughly 8.2 lbs. Conversely, the components in our Essex/AP Racing Sprint Kit weigh about half as much as those.

With the PP brake package, the lighter calipers are offset by the larger, heavier disc:

OEM one-piece STI 326x30mm disc= 21.8 lbs.
OEM one-piece base 292x24mm disc= 17 lbs.
Essex/AP Sprint two-piece 299x32 disc= 12.2 lbs.

OEM STI Brembo= 8.2 lbs.
OEM base slider caliper= 11.6 lbs.
Essex/AP Racing CP8350= 4.8 lbs.

In the 4-5 years our kit has been on the market, we've only ever had a couple of people ever fade them. Those were big-power forced induction cars under brutal conditions. There are tons of 300 whp 86's beating the snot out of them on tracks all over the world. For 95% of 86 owners, our Sprint Kit provides everything they'll ever need from a brake system, and can still be stuffed under smaller, less expensive, lightweight wheels (with cheaper, smaller race tires on them). Why throw a giant anchor of a disc on if you don't need it? That would be no different than installing 19" chrome wheels.

In this case, our kit solves all problems at half the unsprung weight, while providing a laundry list of benefits: Heat reduction in the disc, caliper, pad, fluid, surrounding components, almost unlimited 20mm thick pad choice at low prices, longer-lasting pads and discs...the list goes on. We have many customers who have run for several years without replacing their discs. Regardless of how hard they've been beaten, we've only rebuilt a couple pairs of the calipers from these kits over the years.

So with our kit you get all the brake you'll ever need, with lower long-term running costs, and smaller, less expensive, lighter wheels and tires. They don't have quite the bling factor, but certainly still look the business. Anyone 'in the know' will surely recognize them for what they are. Would you rather get props from hard parkers or hard lappers?
JRitt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JRitt For This Useful Post:
avishenoy1 (05-02-2017), Icecreamtruk (05-02-2017), Vracer111 (05-03-2017)