follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook. Interested in the FT-1? Check out FT1Club
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Rexpeed
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Scion FR-S Forum | Subaru BRZ Forum | Toyota 86 GT 86 Forum | AS1 Forum - FT86CLUB > Marketplace > User/Vendor/Sponsor Reviews, Feedback, Comments


User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-17-2017, 01:18 PM   #1
exE36M3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Drives: 2013 BRZ
Location: NorCal
Posts: 267
Thanks: 138
Thanked 135 Times in 71 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
After the buy scam - Sharing an experience...

You sell something, buyer pays fast, usually via Paypal or online.
And you send it. Tracking shows everything arrived ok.

However, a day later, the buyer contacts you to say the item shows damage or doesn't work right.
BUT they don't want to send it back for a refund, they instead ask for a partial refund...


I've noticed this on a few online transactions lately.
The first time I was yeah, ok, sorry about that. But I've had a few eBay and private transactions go this way.

So protect yourself, photograph ALL angles of your item. That should cover damage.
If they claim damage, it can be re-referred to the Post Office or UPS.
exE36M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 01:46 PM   #2
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno
 
Summerwolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Drives: 2014 Wrb limited
Location: st louis area
Posts: 1,689
Thanks: 1,002
Thanked 1,131 Times in 620 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
This isn't always a scam.


I have bought some things that didn't quite come in as clean as they were advertised but at the same time it was an item I could use and considered worth keeping. In that instance a partial refund is the way to go for both parties.
Summerwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 02:12 PM   #3
mav1178
Senior Member
 
mav1178's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Drives: 2005 Toyota Camry
Location: 91745
Posts: 5,008
Thanks: 418
Thanked 4,237 Times in 2,159 Posts
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Sorry, all items I sell are sold "AS-IS".

Buyer has the option of buying insurance.
mav1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mav1178 For This Useful Post:
why? (02-19-2017)
Old 02-17-2017, 02:51 PM   #4
iamjacob
insert witty quip here
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Drives: 2016 Limited BRZ
Location: Stockton CA
Posts: 242
Thanks: 49
Thanked 183 Times in 97 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mav1178 View Post
Sorry, all items I sell are sold "AS-IS".

Buyer has the option of buying insurance.
Yup, this is the risk you take purchasing things second hand. If you wanted a perfect object buy it from the store/manufacturer with a warranty or a guarantee.
iamjacob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to iamjacob For This Useful Post:
why? (02-19-2017)
Old 02-19-2017, 11:11 AM   #5
why?
Only happy when it rains.
 
why?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Drives: series.blue
Location: Harnett country NC
Posts: 675
Thanks: 1,431
Thanked 324 Times in 205 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by exE36M3 View Post
You sell something, buyer pays fast, usually via Paypal or online.
And you send it. Tracking shows everything arrived ok.

However, a day later, the buyer contacts you to say the item shows damage or doesn't work right.
BUT they don't want to send it back for a refund, they instead ask for a partial refund...


I've noticed this on a few online transactions lately.
The first time I was yeah, ok, sorry about that. But I've had a few eBay and private transactions go this way.

So protect yourself, photograph ALL angles of your item. That should cover damage.
If they claim damage, it can be re-referred to the Post Office or UPS.
UPS, USPS, FEDEX, etc, will laugh at you if you claim they damaged something and didn't have insurance. They all clearly state damage is not their responsibility.

If you are selling something you should have clear pictures up from a bunch of angles, and like was just stated make sure everyone knows you aren't a store and there is no guarantee whatsoever.
why? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:23 PM   #6
Chronology
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Drives: 14' Satin White Pearl BRZ
Location: Claremont, CA
Posts: 65
Thanks: 3
Thanked 19 Times in 16 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwolf View Post
This isn't always a scam.


I have bought some things that didn't quite come in as clean as they were advertised but at the same time it was an item I could use and considered worth keeping. In that instance a partial refund is the way to go for both parties.

I suspect normally you would be happy to send pics of the damage to the seller to show "hey its damaged, I don't mind keeping it but would like a bit more $$$ off". From what the OP is saying that the communication only gets to the point of "hey its broken give me more money off" with no further info. It's always nice to put a small comment about "Selling As-Is" with all the informative information / pics.
__________________
RS*R Sport-I w/custom spring rate / Cusco Front/Rear Sways, Cusco Diff Brace / Cusco Power Brace (Rear/Front/Upper/Lower) / JDL UEL Headers / INVIDIA Q300 Ti / Valenti Revo Tails and rear backup/ EcuTek / Moto-East Flexfuel / Moto-East E85 tune
Chronology is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chronology For This Useful Post:
exE36M3 (Yesterday), Summerwolf (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 04:25 PM   #7
Chronology
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Drives: 14' Satin White Pearl BRZ
Location: Claremont, CA
Posts: 65
Thanks: 3
Thanked 19 Times in 16 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
UPS, USPS, FEDEX, etc, will laugh at you if you claim they damaged something and didn't have insurance. They all clearly state damage is not their responsibility.

If you are selling something you should have clear pictures up from a bunch of angles, and like was just stated make sure everyone knows you aren't a store and there is no guarantee whatsoever.
This is 100% correct, we had computer hardware shipped from Dell to our vendor, the vendor then sent it to us but forgot to add insurance, when the system showed up it looked like a giant metal paperweight (I assume it was dropped via a forklift since the pallet had a ton of damage), the vendor ate the 10k product cost since they forgot insurance. Even with freight its the same thing.
__________________
RS*R Sport-I w/custom spring rate / Cusco Front/Rear Sways, Cusco Diff Brace / Cusco Power Brace (Rear/Front/Upper/Lower) / JDL UEL Headers / INVIDIA Q300 Ti / Valenti Revo Tails and rear backup/ EcuTek / Moto-East Flexfuel / Moto-East E85 tune
Chronology is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:25 PM   #8
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno
 
Summerwolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Drives: 2014 Wrb limited
Location: st louis area
Posts: 1,689
Thanks: 1,002
Thanked 1,131 Times in 620 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronology View Post
I suspect normally you would be happy to send pics of the damage to the seller to show "hey its damaged, I don't mind keeping it but would like a bit more $$$ off". From what the OP is saying that the communication only gets to the point of "hey its broken give me more money off" with no further info. It's always nice to put a small comment about "Selling As-Is" with all the informative information / pics.
Of course! That would be the correct way to approach the issue.

As - is doesn't stand with the ebay / paypal conglomorate. They make it much too easy for buyers to potentially tie up your accounts now. No returns accepted is not really a thing anymore, lol.
Summerwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:15 PM   #9
IBill4You
Senseless1
 
IBill4You's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ
Location: Maryland
Posts: 225
Thanks: 445
Thanked 61 Times in 47 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
UPS, USPS, FEDEX, etc, will laugh at you if you claim they damaged something and didn't have insurance. They all clearly state damage is not their responsibility.

If you are selling something you should have clear pictures up from a bunch of angles, and like was just stated make sure everyone knows you aren't a store and there is no guarantee whatsoever.
The USPS will laugh at you even if you had insurance
IBill4You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:31 PM   #10
mav1178
Senior Member
 
mav1178's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Drives: 2005 Toyota Camry
Location: 91745
Posts: 5,008
Thanks: 418
Thanked 4,237 Times in 2,159 Posts
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBill4You View Post
The USPS will laugh at you even if you had insurance
I'm about to purchase blanket coverage for all our inbound/outbound shipments at work via UPS Capital Insurance.

$0.10 per $100 valuation, and it covers every bonded carrier to/from our location/customers, and much MUCH easier to file claims than with the carrier.

Carrier insurance has a major drawback: they have to prove that they are at fault. This takes time and often it is a matter of "should I reimburse/replace items for customer, or should I wait for claim to be finished..." and this pisses off many customers.

I'm moving to this setup so I can 1) have payout within 7 days, and 2) can decide if I want to replace or refund customer within 24-48 hours.

Plus, the insurance blanket covers trade shows, used goods, and all of my ocean/air inbound shipments.

-alex
mav1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Interesting Scam? joe strummer Off-Topic Lounge 17 08-19-2016 04:40 PM
Scam or no? TMW Off-Topic Lounge 9 04-20-2016 10:43 PM
hey guys!! scam or not??? cooldandani Engine, Exhaust, Transmission 26 11-02-2013 04:58 AM
SCAM ALERT AutoAnything.com !!! SuperKazRacing Suspension | Chassis | Brakes 7 07-31-2013 12:30 PM
Watch out for this scam! (Eventvwr) Lonewolf Off-Topic Lounge 6 01-27-2012 01:15 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:00 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.