follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 08-23-2012, 01:30 AM   #1
tnt

Drives: argento frs at
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
cold air intake vs short ram intake ?

what is the recommendations ?
tnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 01:35 AM   #2
noAE86

Drives: ae86, etc..
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
helmholtz, failing that.....cold air is best,
noAE86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to noAE86 For This Useful Post:
tnt (08-23-2012)
Old 08-23-2012, 03:58 AM   #3
Symbiont
Tall guys fit, too.

Drives: BRZ Premium 6MT (SWP)
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Whatever works best on this particular car.

No one has really released a true CAI for this car, yet. They're all a variation of a SRI.
Old 02-01-2014, 07:12 PM   #4
???
noob and expert

Drives: None :(
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I have rarely, if ever told someone to search or do some research, I don't mean to be an a$$, but dude... Research LOL. There are a lot of threads like this.
Factory air boxes used TERRIBLE, but they have improved dramatically.The factory air box on this car is good, but it can DEFINITELY be improved. You will even notice some of the restrictions just by looking at it. You will probably gain a good 5-6 whp from a well designed system.
There may not be a "best." There are some that are better in the low end, there are some that are better in the high rpm range, and some are better in the mid range. It all depends on what you want from your system. Dsport had an intake and exhaust showcase. Go on their website, and find the article. They compared most of the air intake systems and exhaust available at the time on the same dyno and car.
A crappy CAI will not be nearly as good as a well-designed short ram. Also, cold air is denser, as you probably know, so you will likely get more power than a short ram, but there is the risk of hydro-lock. Hydro-lock is when water enters the engine, and believe me, that would be BAD. You can blow/ruin the engine like that so if you live in a place where it rains a lot, you are below sea-level, there is poor sewer system, your car is lowered, etc. a CAI is probably not the right system for you. If you live in the desert, you may have to take parts off such as the bumper just to clean the filter which is a pain in the a$$ every few thousand miles. You can still get awesome results from a short-ram or even a K&N drop-in.

There are pretty much four options:
1)K&N drop-in. This is the best bang for the buck. It's much better than stock for several reasons, but the gains were very close throughout the whole power band to a complete intake system. Peak horses is not what's important.
2)Takeda Intake. Dsport had an intake and exhaust showcase where they tested most of the intakes and exhausts that are available for this car. This one was one of the best ones throughout the whole power band.
3) Injen Intake. Again, this one was one of the best ones throughout the whole power band, and it was part of the showcase. Find the article of their website to determine which one is better for your application.
4) Grimspeed. They have put A LOT of R&D into this intake. They still haven't released it. There are four threads that they made on it. Find them.

Note: I actually wasn't biased when writing this. These were all tested on 91-octane one a dyno. I don't know what dyno they used, though. Sure it may not be possible for humans to be completely unbiased, but I probably wouldn't have even considered Injen, Takeda, or Grimspeed had I not read the article or the threads. I probably would've just told you, "Get HKS. HKS is the best for everything!" or something like that. This penned my eyes a little. Again, what i told you is just based on data. Also, the Takeda and Injen were tested on the same car and dyno, so those compare apples to apples. The K&N and Grimspeed PROTOTYPE were tested on the same car and dyno, so those also can be compared apples to apples.
Note 2: If you ask me, Grimspeed, which i hadn't even heard of until about three months ago or something, is probably the best intake for this car. I say this because I read all three threads, and I'm in shock that they have put so much work, answered every question, and posted so much data about their product. Manufacturers usually hide info like that especially when they use a competitor's product to compare.

Note 3: I don't know if any of those three intake systems are CAI's.

Note 4: You may want to check if certain intakes retain the sound tube. A lot of people like listening to their engine, so you may want to take that into account when choosing an intake. Some intakes do change the sound though, so you can still hear the engine without the sound tube. I know that the Injen can do that according to Dsport.

BEST OF LUCK! :p
??? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 12:05 AM   #5
campy
No rice, no life

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S
Thanked 1,019 Times in 388 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ??? View Post
I have rarely, if ever told someone to search or do some research, I don't mean to be an a$$, but dude... Research LOL. There are a lot of threads like this.
Factory air boxes used TERRIBLE, but they have improved dramatically.The factory air box on this car is good, but it can DEFINITELY be improved. You will even notice some of the restrictions just by looking at it. You will probably gain a good 5-6 whp from a well designed system.
There may not be a "best." There are some that are better in the low end, there are some that are better in the high rpm range, and some are better in the mid range. It all depends on what you want from your system. Dsport had an intake and exhaust showcase. Go on their website, and find the article. They compared most of the air intake systems and exhaust available at the time on the same dyno and car.
A crappy CAI will not be nearly as good as a well-designed short ram. Also, cold air is denser, as you probably know, so you will likely get more power than a short ram, but there is the risk of hydro-lock. Hydro-lock is when water enters the engine, and believe me, that would be BAD. You can blow/ruin the engine like that so if you live in a place where it rains a lot, you are below sea-level, there is poor sewer system, your car is lowered, etc. a CAI is probably not the right system for you. If you live in the desert, you may have to take parts off such as the bumper just to clean the filter which is a pain in the a$$ every few thousand miles. You can still get awesome results from a short-ram or even a K&N drop-in.

There are pretty much four options:
1)K&N drop-in. This is the best bang for the buck. It's much better than stock for several reasons, but the gains were very close throughout the whole power band to a complete intake system. Peak horses is not what's important.
2)Takeda Intake. Dsport had an intake and exhaust showcase where they tested most of the intakes and exhausts that are available for this car. This one was one of the best ones throughout the whole power band.
3) Injen Intake. Again, this one was one of the best ones throughout the whole power band, and it was part of the showcase. Find the article of their website to determine which one is better for your application.
4) Grimspeed. They have put A LOT of R&D into this intake. They still haven't released it. There are four threads that they made on it. Find them.

Note: I actually wasn't biased when writing this. These were all tested on 91-octane one a dyno. I don't know what dyno they used, though. Sure it may not be possible for humans to be completely unbiased, but I probably wouldn't have even considered Injen, Takeda, or Grimspeed had I not read the article or the threads. I probably would've just told you, "Get HKS. HKS is the best for everything!" or something like that. This penned my eyes a little. Again, what i told you is just based on data. Also, the Takeda and Injen were tested on the same car and dyno, so those compare apples to apples. The K&N and Grimspeed PROTOTYPE were tested on the same car and dyno, so those also can be compared apples to apples.
Note 2: If you ask me, Grimspeed, which i hadn't even heard of until about three months ago or something, is probably the best intake for this car. I say this because I read all three threads, and I'm in shock that they have put so much work, answered every question, and posted so much data about their product. Manufacturers usually hide info like that especially when they use a competitor's product to compare.

Note 3: I don't know if any of those three intake systems are CAI's.

Note 4: You may want to check if certain intakes retain the sound tube. A lot of people like listening to their engine, so you may want to take that into account when choosing an intake. Some intakes do change the sound though, so you can still hear the engine without the sound tube. I know that the Injen can do that according to Dsport.

BEST OF LUCK! :p
This thread is like 2 years old.
campy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 12:43 AM   #6
mwjcyber

Drives: 13' Subaru BRZ Limited SWP 6MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by campy View Post
This thread is like 2 years old.
Yeah, but good write-up @???