follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 11-19-2012, 01:23 PM   #29
86for'86

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Sorry for the late reply, was having too much fun driving the car on the weekend

Heard back from my dealer, and unfortunately they cannot do anything about it. I wasn't expecting much to begin with, and like some people pointed out I should have mentioned it before hand. Unfortunately I wasn't aware of it, partly because I'm a noob and a first time car buyer. Lesson learned.

Fortunately it's still a great car regardless, and I always have the option to get a new bumper. I hope for those of you still waiting to get your car, to remind the person you talked to to not put them on when it comes. I still have to take a pic of the holes just for reference for people who are interested.
86for'86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:33 PM   #30
ThePoet

Drives: Scion FR-S
My bumper got drilled, and I couldn't get the dealership to do anything about it. "It's the law in California, sir" Is all I got out of them. Oh well... 2 small holes in the bumper is still better than a big disgusting license plate.
ThePoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:08 PM   #31
CircuitJerk
Pull my finger...

Drives: Silver Scion Slushbox
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Be grateful you didn't get one like mine...LOL
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...58&postcount=1
CircuitJerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:30 PM   #32
Dake

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Oh - ^that's terrible!

I asked for it not to be drilled but they did it anyway. Fortunately they mounted the top of the bracket in the grill, so the two holes are actually in the black bar in the grill and not in the bumper itself. You don't even see them there unless you look so I didn't make a big deal about it.
Dake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:50 PM   #33
FRSjeff

Drives: FR-S (red manual)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mari0 View Post
Source: DMV.CA.GOV

My guess is, your dealer put that in the papers you signed before taking delivery. If he didn't, he is cool ...and an idiot. From my personal experiences and from what I've read online, your dealer is the exception, not the rule. Most just slap on the front license plate so they don't have to deal with it and be liable. So option (1) is the default that most dealers go for and (2) happens usually when it's per the owner's request.
I didn't request it.... I didn't even think to. Looks like I just got lucky. I do really like having the plate off to the side via the tow hook placement kit.
FRSjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 07:55 PM   #34
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Drives: Zenki 37J ZN6
Thanked 9,397 Times in 5,261 Posts
Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
I have bought two new cars and didn't even know they autodrill the bumper. On my Mini and the FRS I was just given a waiver to sign saying I knew I needed a front plate. Hell they didn't even think my FRS came with mounting hardware until i found it in the back seat. Guess i Dublin, CA just has cool dealers.

"Just like how a strut bar somehow enables you to corner 20MPH faster around a cloverleaf on-ramp, when the reality is, you can do it already but you just don't have to balls to do it." - CSG David
finch1750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:46 PM   #35
itsfun

Drives: SWP BRZ Limited
I purchased my BRZ in VA and the bumper was drilled after I told them not to. I asked for the dealership fee back since I consider it poor customer service but they're giving me a new bumper instead. I would fight for a new bumper.
itsfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 04:49 AM   #36
JohnAyySays

Drives: Scion FR-S Whiteout
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by finch1750 View Post
I have bought two new cars and didn't even know they autodrill the bumper. On my Mini and the FRS I was just given a waiver to sign saying I knew I needed a front plate. Hell they didn't even think my FRS came with mounting hardware until i found it in the back seat. Guess i Dublin, CA just has cool dealers.
I also just recently purchased my frs from Dublin,CA. Waiting on delivery. I also signed the paper saying that I needed a front license plate, do you think they will put on the bracket before I pick it up because I signed it? Do you think I should ask if they can not put it on for me?
JohnAyySays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:23 AM   #37
tech4pdx
Make love

Drives: H8R.. Not really
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
I'm tired of all these dealerships trying to play state cop. I feel for you guys who's bumper got shafted.

I told my stealership no drilling. They complied or I would of walked. He! He! He!

Lol
tech4pdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:40 AM   #38
chenshuo

Drives: WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86for'86 View Post
Hi all,

Got my Asphalt Gray FR-S last Friday, very excited but forgot to notice that the dealer installed the front license plates by drilling on the front bumper. Not only that, but when I took the plates off, I noticed they drilled 3 holes on both sides on the top. Does it really come from the factory like this? The other dealerships that I went to before said they won't drill holes on the car unless the customer specifically asks the dealer to..

It's not really a deal breaker for me, but I'm quite disappointed. I called the dealership today to address the issue and am waiting to hear back what they say.
why do they drill THREE holes when 2 would do?
2 holes to mount the plate, 1 more to just to piss you off. lol
chenshuo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:03 AM   #39
Carbon420

Drives: 2013 FR-S Raven with carbon fiber
So glad we don't have front plates in Alberta. No worrys at all. I didn't even get a mount or anything with the car. I'd be going for a new bumper though for sure. It's your car it should be how you want it. And if they don't want to lose money then they should think before they act and talk to their clients about what they want. If they give you a hard time just remind them about what is said about people who assume.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Carbon420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:27 AM   #40
Braces

Drives: 17 Alfa Romeo 4C
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevermore View Post
Since my car is a lease I figured one of the first things they would do was slap a dealer plate on the front of it. I didn't even ask them not to because I thought it would be completely up to them, but when I got it there was no plate on the bumper. It's actually still in the bag it came in in the trunk. I think since the lease is special they were probably told not to touch anything.

As for your issue, if not a new bumper, maybe they could at least patch the damage, if that's possible. If not, new bumper might be in order.

Just because the car is a lease doesn't mean the stealership can do anything they want with the plates. It's YOUR car for the duration of the lease.

Re the OP. This issue with the front plates is old news. You would think the stealerships would have a better handle on this. A good dealership would ask you prior to the mounting.
Braces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:47 AM   #41
13 FR-S Veteran

Drives: 2013 FR-S (Raven Black)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
I'm sorry to hear that. Funny how hindsight is 20/20.

I was very specific with my dealership. NO DRILLING and NO DEALERSHIP LOGO'S.

I even brought them my plate relocation kit and they installed it for me.

Somehow I don't think you're going to get much resolution out of this. I have no way of validating that opinion other than a gut feeling.

Keep us posted on the response from your dealer.
13 FR-S Veteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:52 AM   #42
campy
No rice, no life

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S
Thanked 1,019 Times in 388 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Why are dealerships drilling into the painted surface of the bumper? I thought the front plate holder was designed to drill into the solid part of the grille. It's even shaped in such a way where that is pretty obvious.
campy is offline   Reply With Quote