follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Specific topics relating to wheels and tires.

User Tag List

Old 06-20-2013, 09:23 AM   #1
Ludacrits

Drives: 2007 Porsche Cayman S MT
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question What tires would you recommend?

I haven't bought the wheels yet so I'm still open to suggests.

Anyway, I plan on ordering some 17x8 +45 Enkei RPF1s. This is my first time ever buying aftermarket wheels and tires for one of my cars. I'm just having trouble deciding on a tire size and which tire to purchase.

235/40/17: I was told this size would preform well but I might get a rough ride. The tires I was considering would be Falken Azenis FK-453.

245/40/17: I was considering this size as well. It seems like there are a ton of tires at this size but the ones that seem nice are Hankook Ventus V12 evo K110.

Thoughts? Suggestions?
Ludacrits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 09:58 AM   #2
FR-S Matt
Banned

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FR-S MT
Thanked 1,771 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Garage
Use the tools and find ones that keep your speedometer accurate. I was in the same boat you were a few months ago and by using the tire calc on this site and the miata.net tool, I was able to get a balance that kept it less than .05% off of stock.
FR-S Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 09:58 AM   #3
Mike@TSM

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Send a message via AIM to Mike@TSM
Great choice on the wheels!

Either size will work well - what do you plan on doing with the car? Any track use?
Mike@TSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 10:14 AM   #4
Jidonsu

Drives: Scion FR-S | 6MT | Ultramarine
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I would go with 245/40/17. Good ones include the new BF Goodridge Rivals, Dunlop Direzza ZII, Bridgestone Potenza RE11A, or even the Hankook RS-3s. I'm currently running Michelin Pilot Super Sports, but will upgrade to one of the first three (maybe the RE11A) next season.
Old 06-20-2013, 10:38 AM   #5
Ludacrits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@TSM View Post
Great choice on the wheels!

Either size will work well - what do you plan on doing with the car? Any track use?
I would like to do some track use eventually but I've never been before. So I'm not sure. Probably in the distant future once I've done a few other things to it. Right now the only think not stock is the suspension. I'm running megan racing street ez coilovers. I figured wheels and tires would be my next upgrade.
Old 06-20-2013, 10:45 AM   #6
Mike@TSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludacrits View Post
I would like to do some track use eventually but I've never been before. So I'm not sure. Probably in the distant future once I've done a few other things to it. Right now the only think not stock is the suspension. I'm running megan racing street ez coilovers. I figured wheels and tires would be my next upgrade.
Oh ok, awesome! I would recommend the Falkens in the 240/40 17 size - it's closer to the factory tires OD and will ride smoother than the Hankooks.

Let me know if you'd like an estimate on everything, I have the Enkeis in stock and can have the tires in a day or two.
Old 06-20-2013, 10:47 AM   #7
Ludacrits

Quote:
Originally Posted by FR-S Matt View Post
Use the tools and find ones that keep your speedometer accurate. I was in the same boat you were a few months ago and by using the tire calc on this site and the miata.net tool, I was able to get a balance that kept it less than .05% off of stock.
What tires did you go with? And can you link the tools you are talking about?
Old 06-20-2013, 10:50 AM   #8
horrorbiz

Drives: ‘22 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
The new Dunlop Direzza ZII are fantastic, the originals were massively popular and this updated version has proved to be even better. They do run very wide though, I'd recommend a 225 or 235 on the 8" wheel.
horrorbiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 10:53 AM   #9
supramkivtt2jz
PROUD OF BOXER

Drives: Raven FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html
Old 06-20-2013, 10:55 AM   #10
Mike@TSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supramkivtt2jz View Post
The only issue with calculators like that is they do the true math for the given size but keep in mind that there can be a 4% variance between tire manufacturers.

You're better off looking at the measured dimensions from each manufacturers' website to determine the actual size of the tire.
Old 06-20-2013, 11:00 AM   #11
djdnz

Drives: 2013 BRZ WRB S/C
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
www.willtheyfit.com

Here's 245/40/17 vs stock.

235/40/17 vs stock

245's are closer to stock rolling diameter but man are they wide for those wheels. 235's are going to roll less on the sidewall.

You could consider using 225/40/17, but spedometer is a little further out still. Probably what I would recommend though honestly, you are saving a few pounds per tire and unless you go forced induction you won't really need the extra grip, they are more widely available, and cheaper than the alternatives.

As far as your original question, it really comes down to what your goals are and your budget. 245's are massive though, and unless you need lots of traction I probably wouldn't go that route. You're going to have a lot of sidewall movement.

Quote:
the BF Goodridge Rivals, Dunlop Direzza ZII, Bridgestone Potenza RE11A, or even the Hankook RS-3s)
People suggesting the top tier tires (above) seem to be focused on pure performance over practicality. This car is not a Ferrari, it doesn't need the pinnacle of tires, unless that is your ultimate goal. I would suggest going with a tire that has slightly better wear rating, lower noise levels and lower cost. But my goals are for a street oriented sporty car, not track times... so what do I know.

I ended up with Continental ExtremeContact DW, very affordable, very well reviewed, good compromise I would say. I haven't had a chance to throw them on yet though.
djdnz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to djdnz For This Useful Post:
Calidrifter (06-20-2013)
Old 06-20-2013, 11:01 AM   #12
supramkivtt2jz
PROUD OF BOXER

Drives: Raven FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
The only issue with calculators like that is they do the true math for the given size but keep in mind that there can be a 4% variance between tire manufacturers.

You're better off looking at the measured dimensions from each manufacturers' website to determine the actual size of the tire.
whoops, i was skimming through the thread and saw the word "link." i incorrectly assumed you were asking for that.

disregard.

i dont really care what my speedo reads so long as it is not terribly off. I never drive spiritedly in public
Old 06-20-2013, 11:42 AM   #13
Ludacrits

Quote:
Oh ok, awesome! I would recommend the Falkens in the 240/40 17 size - it's closer to the factory tires OD and will ride smoother than the Hankooks.

Let me know if you'd like an estimate on everything, I have the Enkeis in stock and can have the tires in a day or two.
Yeah I would definitely like an estimate on that kind of setup. I was just going to buy my stuff from tire discounters but if I can get it cheaper somewhere else I will.
Old 06-20-2013, 11:46 AM   #14
Mike@TSM

Quote:
Yeah I would definitely like an estimate on that kind of setup. I was just going to buy my stuff from tire discounters but if I can get it cheaper somewhere else I will.
Awesome, shoot me an email with your contact info and I will get you one out today!

mike@topspeedtuned.com