follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 07-18-2011, 08:05 PM   #99
tranzformer
Delights in pure handling

Drives: Zoom Zoom
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
It's thought out for the aftermarket builders, racing operations, and not without YOU as enthusiast, the grassroots racers, custom builders, show car builders, and parking lot meet goers.
This is probably one of the most important sentences. Seems like Toyota isn't going to high strung the car so much that there won't be any more room for improvement. Ala what is happening with the current Mustang 5.0s and the TSB warning against any mods on the car and voiding of the warranty if there are.
tranzformer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 08:06 PM   #100
tranzformer
Delights in pure handling

Drives: Zoom Zoom
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giccin View Post
Yea I actually really like the subie's look better according to the concepts shown in the other thread.

Although I'm just curious now. Same engine location. Just different chasis and interior?
No, I don't think different chassis between Subaru and Toyota. It will be the same chassis, but the interior should be different. Cost to develop two different chassis would defeat the purpose of this project.
tranzformer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 08:08 PM   #101
Giccin
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Drives: Yaris HBK, Audi 09' TTS<Had>
Thanked 1,899 Times in 966 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tranzformer View Post
No, I don't think different chassis between Subaru and Toyota. It will be the same chassis, but the interior should be different. Cost to develop two different chassis would defeat the purpose of this project.
Damn. I liked Subie's look too. Lol

Logic > Emotion
┬──┬◡ノ(° -°ノ)
Yashio Factory Pink adds +10HP to anything.
TOYOTA FT-86
Giccin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 08:10 PM   #102
Aki

Drives: '96 beater Corolla
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Think you need to clarify on what you think "reworked" means----maybe if you mean that they're building on what they've done with the EJ then yes, but by that vein the FB20 is a reworking of Carl Benz's engine from 1896. But at that point it becomes a meaningless abstraction.

The FB20 is not a "reworked" EJ. When an engine goes from oversquare to under, and changes the valve angle, that's a pretty significant change. Not to mention all the smaller changes that happened with it.

Last edited by Aki; 07-18-2011 at 09:52 PM.
Aki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 08:44 PM   #103
jonnois

Drives: 1993 R32 Gtst skyline mspec
nice to hear yamaha go their hands on the engine we all know what last toyota engine they got their hands on and that worked out pretty good
jonnois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 09:02 PM   #104
Laika
When In Doubt...

Drives: Slowww
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giccin View Post
Damn. I liked Subie's look too. Lol
Are you sure you know what chassis means?

Join the Galaxy Blue Silica BRZ registry below:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...2c&usp=sharing
Laika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 09:15 PM   #105
Giccin
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Drives: Yaris HBK, Audi 09' TTS<Had>
Thanked 1,899 Times in 966 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laika View Post
Are you sure you know what chassis means?

I got mixed up! haha

Logic > Emotion
┬──┬◡ノ(° -°ノ)
Yashio Factory Pink adds +10HP to anything.
TOYOTA FT-86
Giccin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 09:16 PM   #106
arsenaljohn

Drives: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiguelAE86 View Post
I've never met any other 16 year old that's like this about cars if im honest! but thank you, i try to spread the car love among my friends and they've learned a lot since they have to put up with me!
15 and just as pumped about this and other cars as you!
arsenaljohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 09:31 PM   #107
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Drives: Mk3 Supra with Semi-built 7MGTE
Thanked 2,265 Times in 1,234 Posts
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
A completely 'new' Toyota/Yamaha version of the Subaru EJ20? Maybe? Freakin' TEASE!!! More waiting...

92mm x 75mm bore x stroke is soooooo much better for high rpm than the FB20's 84mm x 90mm.

Or maybe Toyota will surprise us with something different. And maybe a closed deck?

Because titanium.
Dimman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 09:37 PM   #108
rL-gT

Drives: Lexus IS300 / Lexus IS250 AWD
Surprise us with boost...

O god. I think thats too much to ask right now. Everything already seems too perfect!
rL-gT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 09:53 PM   #109
Aki

Drives: '96 beater Corolla
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exage View Post
Small changes can have large and profound effects on any engine regardless of size. I would call going from a over-square to under-square a very significant change in engine design. I would elaborate but this here but it would be better suited in the tech thread.

In short; I completely disagree with you.
That should've read "pretty significant change." I was saying that EJ > FB was a huge change, and that's it's not just a rework. Edited post.
Aki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 10:36 PM   #110
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: quicker than arghx7
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
I think this is a rather important quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto-P
People at Scion USA and Toyota Japan, Toyota Europe will all get the same exact car. No body swaps, no changes in equipment. Only the badge as they see fit to sell enough to have resources, that will eventually come back to support us for years to come in our ventures and hobbies.
I was told the USA may get one with nicer exhaust system, since we tend to like raspier noises from cars that move quick. But again, that's if up to the decision makers, and if we as enthusiasts voice enough calls. I for one, I am screaming... "YES YES and YES"

You guys read that? Read it again to let it soak in: no watered down Scion vs. ROW. Now that is something to be excited about!
Old 07-18-2011, 10:36 PM   #111
JohnnyR

Drives: 04 Evo 8
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Well, they seem pretty passionate about this project. I hope the car is great fun to roll around in, and be everything they're hyping it to be. I like that they're removing non-essential items like a Nav unit/CD player, but hopefully they still have some good speaker placement and quality ones at that in there along with either an MP3 player input, or USB flashdrive dongle at least.

The interior sounds really good, with the attention to the seats especially. I hope the steering wheel is quality as well. Something like the Momo from my Evo VIII is optimal. And then I hope they get the shifter right, that's a biggy that many-many manufacturers mess up on these days. Make it at least feel as good as the TRD-J unit I had in my 2000 Celica GT-S and I'd be impressed. The rollcage part is rather interesting to boot.

Finally, the motor sounds very interesting, the most so. So they took the blueprint from the Subie design and reworked it to their specs? I hope that means they optimized and over-built it. Yamaha does great work. The 2ZZ-GE was a fun little motor, and it sounded fantastic, one of the best I4 motors ever. I can't wait to hear what they did with a boxer. And hopefully it's mod friendly.

Lastly, we just need to get some details on the suspension. The last key ingredient here to the equation.

But overall it sounds like Toyota is actually taking this seriously, more seriously than I honestly expected them to take it. They must have really took the "boring people mover" car comments to heart. Toyota NEEDS this car, badly, to get their image back to attract younger buyers, and especially enthusiasts back. We all know Toyota is capable of making great-fun cars, color me interested again. Though the recent info on the state of the "WRX/STI" really-really-REALLY has my attention as well. Sounds like we'll have two affordable yet fun cars on our hands shortly.
JohnnyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 11:04 PM   #112
Exage
GL 86!

Drives: Maybe FR-S... maybe not
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aki View Post
That should've read "pretty significant change." I was saying that EJ > FB was a huge change, and that's it's not just a rework. Edited post.
Hey no problem, we're all excited.

I deleted my post. Cheers!
Exage is offline   Reply With Quote