follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Specific topics relating to wheels and tires.

User Tag List

Old 11-20-2017, 09:02 PM   #1
khcho19

Drives: ford focust ST
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Please recommend tires for brz performance package

Hi all,

I am looking to purchase 2017 brz performance package soon, and I heard tire change is essential for the performance package as it adds up more braking power and suspension competence and wider wheels.

Can you guys recommend best tires for brz in performance package?
I am not going to race or something, but sometimes i will have fun myself and i just want to choose best tires for my car’s spec.

Thank you!!
khcho19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 10:07 AM   #2
JazzleSAURUS

Drives: 15 BRZ LTD, 05 FXT
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Michelin PSS, Bridgestone S-04, Conti Extreme Contact DW.
SOLD: 2015 WRB BRZ Limited ('02 WRX BBS, S-04's, Stoptech Sport pads, MXP SP, AVO drop in filter, Mishimoto Intake tube, decatted header, OFT 93 Stage 2 EL Tune, Kartboy rear shifter bushing, Whiteline transmission and subframe lockout bushings, ST Coilovers, SPC Camber bolts w/smaller crash bolt, SPC LCA's & SPC Toe Arm bushings, Red TOMs, TRD Wing.)
JazzleSAURUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 12:09 PM   #3
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Mmm. Performance package has same power, but a bit better suspension and brakes. Those different bits won't change in revolutionary way feel of car handling, especially for daily driving. Tire choice should come more from intended use, not from if it has PP. From sound of 'fun', and not going to race, imho you'd be better off wearing down first low grip primacies, those will enable "having fun" at lower speeds, thus one may also learn handling and familiarise with car in (imho) safer way. Once those gone, i'd move up to better tires, such as ones JazzleSAURUS mentioned, but for beginning and for extra saving i'd use up stock primacies. They might not provide best grip among alternatives (but you stated no plans visiting track), they might not be cheapest (but you already have them), but limited grip will help with some tire chirping, slight drifting even with stock NA power . Sooner to letting go grip will help for that to happen in more progressive and slower/safer way, instead of at high speeds and in sharp manner.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 02:00 PM   #4
JazzleSAURUS

Drives: 15 BRZ LTD, 05 FXT
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by churchx View Post
Mmm. Performance package has same power, but a bit better suspension and brakes. Those different bits won't change in revolutionary way feel of car handling, especially for daily driving. Tire choice should come more from intended use, not from if it has PP. From sound of 'fun', and not going to race, imho you'd be better off wearing down first low grip primacies, those will enable "having fun" at lower speeds, thus one may also learn handling and familiarise with car in (imho) safer way. Once those gone, i'd move up to better tires, such as ones JazzleSAURUS mentioned, but for beginning and for extra saving i'd use up stock primacies. They might not provide best grip among alternatives (but you stated no plans visiting track), they might not be cheapest (but you already have them), but limited grip will help with some tire chirping, slight drifting even with stock NA power . Sooner to letting go grip will help for that to happen in more progressive and slower/safer way, instead of at high speeds and in sharp manner.
That's a good point. You'll learn a lot wearing out the stock Primacies. As you get more comfortable on them, and get a little more confident hanging the rear end out a bit, you'll appreciate the upgraded summer tires a lot more than if you just swapped them right away. I really enjoyed smoking the stock primacies learning the limits of the car. I had so much fun with them I got a set of low mileage takeoffs after I smoked the set that came with my car so I could have a set on the stock wheels. I toss them on once in a while to lower the cars limits and get back in touch with the low traction fun this car has.
SOLD: 2015 WRB BRZ Limited ('02 WRX BBS, S-04's, Stoptech Sport pads, MXP SP, AVO drop in filter, Mishimoto Intake tube, decatted header, OFT 93 Stage 2 EL Tune, Kartboy rear shifter bushing, Whiteline transmission and subframe lockout bushings, ST Coilovers, SPC Camber bolts w/smaller crash bolt, SPC LCA's & SPC Toe Arm bushings, Red TOMs, TRD Wing.)
JazzleSAURUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 01:24 AM   #5
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
JazzleSAURUS: A while ago watched Chris's video made me rethink, if best in classic sense (mostly by grip) tires really are best for fun purpose
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPh90yNX-mY"]The Mercedes C63 AMG Experiment - /CHRIS HARRIS ON CARS - YouTube[/ame]
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote