follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 12-21-2015, 12:55 AM   #29
Northwest86

Drives: Velocity Orange 86 GT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
A Supercharger is generally cheaper. But has less headroom generally. For a pretty reliable car with a hell of a punch that'd be excellent on the track. I would definitely recommend something like the Jackson Racing Supercharger. Don't get the Kraftworks kit unless your willing to deal with the issues they have had. Thats where the research comes into play. These are Positive Displacement or basically The compressor side of a turbo thats belt driven. They love to rev and any existing headers etc can be kept. The other options that seem to stand out are the Cosworth/Harrop SC that are a roots style that give tons of low torque but do tend to fall away up high. These can be excellent if its a street car that you want that overtaking kick without dropping to many gears.

A turbo can be a little more pricey sometimes but since power is often higher, things like clutches, gearboxes etc can add to price. All are good options. But honestly out of the American options. Only the Jackson racing so far has been 99% problem free to my knowledge and don't have heat issues which makes them great for the track. (Not including Cosworth/harrop since they are newer to the market) Everything gives you a good kick and it comes down to exactly which one you like and what is available.

Do you have a tuner (dyno) first. This should be the #1 investment because a good dyno guy can give more gains than anything else in terms of drivability. Get a good one whose worked with a ton of different kits. They will often have insight about many kits that you may not know of. Just make sure hes not a tuner that wants to sell you something.

Last edited by Northwest86; 12-21-2015 at 01:30 AM.
Northwest86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 01:18 AM   #30
Cojonudo
I'm New

Drives: 2016 Limited Subaru BRZ White Pearl
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwest86 View Post
A Supercharger is generally cheaper. But has less headroom generally. For a pretty reliable car with a hell of a punch that'd be excellent on the track. I would definitely recommend something like the Jackson Racing Supercharger. Don't get the Kraftworks kit unless your willing to deal with the issues they have had. Thats where the research comes into play. These are Positive Displacement or basically The compressor side of a turbo thats belt driven. They love to rev and any existing headers etc can be kept. The other options that seem to stand out are the Cosworth/Harrop SC that are a twin screw that give tons of low torque but do tend to fall away up high. These can be excellent if its a street car that you want that overtaking kick without dropping to many gears.

A turbo can be a little more pricey sometimes but since power is often higher, things like clutches, gearboxes etc can add to price. All are good options. But honestly out of the American options. Only the Jackson racing so far has been 99% problem free to my knowledge and don't have heat issues which makes them great for the track. (Not including Cosworth/harrop since they are newer to the market) Everything gives you a good kick and it comes down to exactly which one you like and what is available.

Do you have a tuner (dyno) first. This should be the #1 investment because a good dyno guy can give more gains than anything else in terms of drivability. Get a good one whose worked with a ton of different kits. They will often have insight about many kits that you may not know of. Just make sure hes not a tuner that wants to sell you something.
What do you think of the Vortech Supercharger is it as reliable as the Jackson Racing? Thank you for your insight!
Old 12-21-2015, 01:57 AM   #31
FRS Justin

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FRS
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
It really doesn't matter which way you go if your only adding 100hp over stock.
I promise you 1 thing tho, as sure as you are bored with your car stock you will get bored with 100hp.

If I were you I would go turbo, it leaves you room to grow. Look at a Spencer Fab kit. They have one that has the fattest torque curve I have ever seen.
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...43#post2485743
FRS Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 04:52 AM   #32
Northwest86

What was with the second run on that dyno. I would of expected alot more. was the dyno calibrated differently because it barely makes more power than mine on 7 psi. (18kw more)
Old 12-21-2015, 09:08 AM   #33
Justin.b

Drives: 13 Hot Lava, 01 Miata, 09 Outback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cojonudo View Post
I'm not looking to race with it at all I would just like a bit more horsepower so if I step on the gas I can be like "Wow that was fun!" You know that rush and automatic smile you get when you just feel the car and the power it has. But I am definitely not looking to drag race or anything haha. I hope this helped answer your question if not feel free to ask me anything else!
If you're looking for better acceleration and the sensation of acceleration, get smaller diameter wheels and/or shorter rear end gearing. Add an exhaust so it feels like the engine is doing more.

-Justin
Justin.b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 09:59 AM   #34
Cojonudo
I'm New

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin.b View Post
If you're looking for better acceleration and the sensation of acceleration, get smaller diameter wheels and/or shorter rear end gearing. Add an exhaust so it feels like the engine is doing more.

-Justin
Yeah I was looking at a Borla Catback #140496 Exhaust
Old 12-21-2015, 10:02 AM   #35
FRS Justin

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FRS
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwest86 View Post
What was with the second run on that dyno. I would of expected alot more. was the dyno calibrated differently because it barely makes more power than mine on 7 psi. (18kw more)
It was a Land Sea (Loading Dyno) not a Dyno jet (Inertia dyno) So to get a Dyno jet number you have to multiply by 1.17 so.

HP 291 x 1.17 = 340.47

TQ 240 x 1.17 = 280.80 Dyno jet

NOTE: I used the standard Mustang conversion number it should be the same or very very close.
FRS Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 03:29 AM   #36
Northwest86

Yeah I just went by the fact that as stock it was about 15% higher than our dynos read and the final fun by that factor would give something in the range of 190kw. Mine runs 170 at 7psi and if we went for an internet tune we could run close to 200. Mines made to run basically your 91 I guess.
The Following User Says Thank You to Northwest86 For This Useful Post:
FRS Justin (12-22-2015)
Old 12-22-2015, 01:23 PM   #37
86kahl

Drives: whiteout, dark tint
Turbocharge vs. Supercharge vs. None

I'm gonna advocate for N/A.
I've had a few S13's that were turbo swapped and while it was fun, it wasn't as predictable at the limit as N/A. I had more fun last week doing figure 8's in the Fr-s that I ever had in the 240's because the instant response it has. With a turbo it was more like mash the gas and wait for the push with NA it feels way more modular and controllable.

I say invest turbo money into; headers, e85 tune and sticky stock sized tires then put the rest into seat time. Still not fast enough? Change to a 4.88 final drive🏎

Plus your car won't have as much downtime/repairs as forced induction🤓
86kahl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 86kahl For This Useful Post:
Toyota86.ir (12-22-2015)
Old 12-22-2015, 02:17 PM   #38
Toyota86.ir
Mike Tune HKS E85 FD 4.88

Drives: Toyota GT86 AT NA Stage 2
It seems you should read more and i recommend you to start with header, front catback intake E85 and final drive 4.7
After that and reading more i recommend you contacting a good tuner like Mike (moto-east) for supercharging .
Toyota86.ir is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Toyota86.ir For This Useful Post:
86kahl (12-22-2015)
Old 12-22-2015, 06:46 PM   #39
Cojonudo
I'm New

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyota86.ir View Post
It seems you should read more and i recommend you to start with header, front catback intake E85 and final drive 4.7
After that and reading more i recommend you contacting a good tuner like Mike (moto-east) for supercharging .
Thanks! I'll definitely take that into consideration. What do you think about the Vortech Supercharge kit?
Old 12-23-2015, 06:20 AM   #40
Toyota86.ir
Mike Tune HKS E85 FD 4.88

Drives: Toyota GT86 AT NA Stage 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cojonudo View Post
Thanks! I'll definitely take that into consideration. What do you think about the Vortech Supercharge kit?

Vortech is good , Many people in this forum have more knowledge than me and i just share my summury about supercharging.
Good power gain is result of good tune and you should focus on finding best tuner instead of finding the kit.
Jackson racing and cosworth are both good in my idea and Mike base map from Moto-east is a reference for many tuners.
I highly recommend you to put more time for reading this forum before starting the project.
remote Tuning supercharging or turbocharging has more risk than NA remote tuning. I highly recommend to be careful in choosing tuner if you have no access to local tuner.
Toyota86.ir is offline   Reply With Quote