follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List
go_a_way1

Old 04-07-2014, 11:23 AM   #4131
DAEMANO
Time Traveller

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS - Raven
Thanked 3,416 Times in 1,677 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterbison777 View Post
I also just finished running my first HPDE session with the phantom ESC at Laguna Seca and have concluded that this ESC is not for track use.

Driving "normally" on the track, the ESC didn't last for more than 2 minutes before going into "safe mode." I found that, while it was cool to pull much harder on straights, the trigger-activated design of the ESC messes with the balance of the car when I play with throttle inputs. Also, when the ESC was deactivated and I stubbornly continued to go full throttle, my nose sensed that the car was running noticeably richer than optimal. It definitely requires a major change in driving style on the track, and I don't know if it's a good thing... if you know what I mean.

I removed the ESC, installed the stock intake, and reflashed my car with the OFT... in just 20-30 minutes (most of the time was due to flashing). The systems integration design of this ESC is so simple that it's genius.

Driving the same course NA, I actually didn't really miss the low-end torque. The car stays at 4000+ rpm most of the time anyway. Running the car without the ESC preserved the balance and predictability of the car; an element which I lost while running the ESC (probably due to my lack of experience with it as well.) I pulled slightly less on straights, but it didn't matter, since the car was so much more fun to drive in NA form (on the track!).

This is a great street solution, especially for the occasional freeway merging and passing, but I would shy away from ever using the this version of the ESC on track.
Thanks for the impressions. You're correct, Rob has made an excellent street kit. It took me about the same time to remove mine for maintenance. Installed another with @WRB5titch this weekend. So easy.

For those looking to continue to push the envelope there are a few options moving ahead that have been discussed... the part-time enable button (super pursuit mode), improved cooling on the controller(s) (maybe H20), dual dump batteries, and perhaps some additional practice with the throttle. All attainable in my eyes. Fun stuff this continued development.
DAEMANO is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DAEMANO For This Useful Post:
Robftss (04-07-2014), waterbison777 (04-08-2014), WNDSRFR (04-07-2014), WRB5titch (04-07-2014)
Old 04-07-2014, 03:47 PM   #4132
Target70

Drives: 2013 Asphalt 6spd
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary in NJ View Post
Good guess, but wrong. It's to minimize voltage drop.
Ok thanks. Im not an engineer, just a tech, I don't know the gauge of wire is used in the kit, but I wouldn't think an extra ~5 feet of cable would add enough resistance to cause any noticeable voltage drop (atleast on a standard dc circuit). I am completely ignorant of the motor and controller, but the pics look like it has three wires, so multi phase? I would guess that with a long enough run and the wires side by side that with enough current, they might induce voltage in the other wires causing some phase shift.. but that's why it was a wild guess. If there is one thing working on electronics for the last 10 years has taught me, it's that black magic and grimlins do exist, and both are found in electronic circuits.
Target70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 04:05 PM   #4133
WNDSRFR

Drives: FR-S,GTI
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
I am an engineer and I agree you shouldn't worry about a voltage drop on a five foot run of wire. Just use the largest gauge (biggest conductor) that will fit thru the center console. And try to find a low voltage cable (thin insulation) like welding cable. Try McMaster Carr they have everything. I'm thinking about doing the dual dump pack thing soon. So I'll let you know how it goes.
WNDSRFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 04:17 PM   #4134
Target70

Drives: 2013 Asphalt 6spd
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
I got some 2 guage welding wire from tractor supply for that purpose. very flexible, but will probably put a braded ground shield around the wire to block noise, and extra abrasion protection. If I could only finish enough of my other projects to allow myself to get the phantom and experience what all the noise is about it would be great.
<-- currently at work.
Target70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 04:24 PM   #4135
-Ozzy-

Drives: Raven FR-S - Chevy Cobalt Coupe
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
If I buy this can I call my car a Hybrid?
-Ozzy- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 04:32 PM   #4136
DAEMANO
Time Traveller

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Ozzy- View Post
If I buy this can I call my car a Hybrid?

Sheeeeeiiit... Hybrid + Flex Fuel after the e85 tune you'll have the greenest sports car on the block.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DAEMANO For This Useful Post:
Blu-by-U (04-07-2014), Robftss (04-07-2014), WRB5titch (04-07-2014)
Old 04-07-2014, 04:42 PM   #4137
-Ozzy-

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAEMANO View Post

Sheeeeeiiit... Hybrid + Flex Fuel after the e85 tune you'll have the greenest sports car on the block.

I've been planning on getting this ESC and putting this badge on my car:

No one take my idea! :P
The Following User Says Thank You to -Ozzy- For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (04-07-2014)
Old 04-07-2014, 04:57 PM   #4138
DAEMANO
Time Traveller

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Ozzy- View Post
I've been planning on getting this ESC and putting this badge on my car:

No one take my idea! :P
Won't copy, but methinks that is the Ford family hybrid emblem...

Toyotas are like this...

this...

or even better this...

Subaru's are a little more bland, like so...
The Following User Says Thank You to DAEMANO For This Useful Post:
drewbot (04-07-2014)
Old 04-07-2014, 04:58 PM   #4139
WNDSRFR

Drives: FR-S,GTI
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
I also just finished running my first HPDE session with the phantom ESC at Laguna Seca and have concluded that this ESC is not for track use.

Driving "normally" on the track, the ESC didn't last for more than 2 minutes before going into "safe mode." I found that, while it was cool to pull much harder on straights, the trigger-activated design of the ESC messes with the balance of the car when I play with throttle inputs. Also, when the ESC was deactivated and I stubbornly continued to go full throttle, my nose sensed that the car was running noticeably richer than optimal. It definitely requires a major change in driving style on the track, and I don't know if it's a good thing... if you know what I mean.

I removed the ESC, installed the stock intake, and reflashed my car with the OFT... in just 20-30 minutes (most of the time was due to flashing). The systems integration design of this ESC is so simple that it's genius.

Driving the same course NA, I actually didn't really miss the low-end torque. The car stays at 4000+ rpm most of the time anyway. Running the car without the ESC preserved the balance and predictability of the car; an element which I lost while running the ESC (probably due to my lack of experience with it as well.) I pulled slightly less on straights, but it didn't matter, since the car was so much more fun to drive in NA form (on the track!).

This is a great street solution, especially for the occasional freeway merging and passing, but I would shy away from ever using the this version of the ESC on track.

Yeah,

Sounds like for your application the Phantom really doesn't fit the bill. You need a turbocharger.

Of course a turbo is a lot more expensive, a lot more complicated and could potentially explode you're engine.

So,
If you're putting the Phantom up for sale, I'm interested.
Imagine a dual parallel ESC!
WNDSRFR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WNDSRFR For This Useful Post:
Robftss (04-07-2014), waterbison777 (04-08-2014)
Old 04-07-2014, 05:28 PM   #4140
-Ozzy-

Yes @DAEMANO ! That is the Ford, I plan on having some green accents on my car. I do like the Toyota blue silver better, but I think the leaf adds to the irony as well. I'm sure I'll end up going with the Toyota badge in the end.
The Following User Says Thank You to -Ozzy- For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (04-07-2014)
Old 04-07-2014, 08:42 PM   #4141
Shiv@Openflash

Drives: 2013 FRS
Thanked 5,469 Times in 1,494 Posts
Mentioned: 605 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:

When you were at Laguna? This past weekend? If so, I was there too!
Shiv@Openflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 10:03 PM   #4142
Robftss

Drives: VW
Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Hmmmm corkscrew.

2013 F1 KERS : ~+10% power for 7 seconds/lap.
2014 F1 ERS : ~+20% power for 33 seconds/lap.

Shiv, thanks for the time and effort to get us numbers.

Rob.
Robftss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 10:04 PM   #4143
nlowell

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
When you were at Laguna? This past weekend? If so, I was there too!

What group are you guys running with? NASA only runs race groups there so I need to find another group for when I get the guts up to drive up and have some fun there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 04-07-2014, 10:06 PM   #4144
nlowell

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Can someone elaborate on the Aux charger? Is this something that is available today to install or something that we need to wait until it's available from Rob?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tags
26$ / wtq, affordable boost, better than turbo, brz electric supercharger, do want, dumbass freddy, electric shrimpage, electric supercharger, electronic supercharger, epic thread tag, fanboy circle jerk!, freddy keyboardwarrior, frs electric supercharger, get a real blower, haters gonna hate, hows the battery life?, lol, moar powa, nos with battery, one gear race champion, only pulls hard once, phantom charge, pm-robftss to order!, release date=not yet, release it already!, released!, rice, shut up and take our $$$, snake oil claims, street only, super pursuit mode, the price isn't known yet, tq300 plzkkthxbai, wooshy noise, yes turbo is better, yes turbo is expensive