follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 02:15 PM   #1
NIKOLA

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S in Ultramarine
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Exhaust System Advice

Hey everyone.....I'm thinking about getting my whole exhaust system swapped out. Here is what I have in mind to get:

Invidia N1 Catback
Invidia Catless Front Pipe
Invidia Over Pipe
Injen Headers

Any other ideas?

Question: Are the stock headers any good? I ask since I can't see them well because of all of that sheet metal shielding screwed onto it. Are they worth changing out along with the rest of the exhaust system?

Thanks,
Niko
Currently driving a Sprintex Supercharged FR-S in Ultramarine with an Invidia N1 Catback with Catless Front Pipe, Invidia Over Pipe, Injen Catless 4:1 EL Headers, Perrin Aluminum Drive Pulley & Driveshaft Shop Aluminum Driveshaft. Also, looking to upgrade wheels someday to Enkei PF01's (17x8's).
Old 02-11-2014, 03:00 PM   #2
hyper4mance

Drives: 13 BRZ, 97 e36 M3 Rides: '07 600RR
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
There are lots of threads that can help you make your decision
e.g. the sticky http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6064

It really depends what you are going for - sound, weight reduction, performance, etc. and at what price point.
Stock headers are restrictive, so for me personally I changed that and got a tune which greatly improved the torque curve. Just dont expect to have a significant amount of power added from changing the entire exhaust system compared to other options. If you are shooting for power, consider FI before choosing your exhaust.
Old 02-11-2014, 03:48 PM   #3
FR-S Matt
Banned

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FR-S MT
Thanked 1,771 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Garage
Go catted on the front pipe if you're doing headers. You'll make it raspy otherwise with that setup. Header + Invidia headerback with the N1 is very loud, very deep, and has some drone so be ready for that. The N1 is my favorite exhaust so far paired with a catless UEL header and catted front pipe, and an overpipe.
The Following User Says Thank You to FR-S Matt For This Useful Post:
NIKOLA (02-11-2014)
Old 02-11-2014, 06:37 PM   #4
NIKOLA

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S in Ultramarine
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAMotorsports View Post
How much are you willing to pay? We are testing an exhaust at this time which sounds great. We are hoping to do a side by side dyno with the stock and the N1 exhaust
Well, I'm looking to do a few things before considering forced induction. First, I want a better exhaust sound. However, I figured if I am to get a catback I might as well go for new headers, front & overpipe and then get the car tuned.

From what I've already read in a few of the other threads some people are making in the ball park of 225 whp by changing the exhaust system entirely and getting a good tune. If I could pull that off I would be happy to avoid getting a supercharger for the additional power.

As for money, I was thinking to keep the cost of hardware between $1500-1700.
Currently driving a Sprintex Supercharged FR-S in Ultramarine with an Invidia N1 Catback with Catless Front Pipe, Invidia Over Pipe, Injen Catless 4:1 EL Headers, Perrin Aluminum Drive Pulley & Driveshaft Shop Aluminum Driveshaft. Also, looking to upgrade wheels someday to Enkei PF01's (17x8's).
Old 02-11-2014, 06:52 PM   #5
FrsDuke
Fanboy

Drives: 2013 ultramarine frs
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NIKOLA View Post
From what I've already read in a few of the other threads some people are making in the ball park of 225 whp by changing the exhaust system entirely and getting a good tune..
Where have you seen that exactly? Because I haven't.

-Duke
Old 02-11-2014, 06:59 PM   #6

Drives: UM86 - 6MT
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Fair enough. Hope you find what you want. Idk if you are in a budget scenario or you are willing to throw money at whatever you want but,

You could gut the cat on your stock header + go to an exhaust shop, remove the stock muffler and replace it with a smaller muffler or resonator, then swap the stock tips. That could save you a lot of money so you can apply those dollars to something else.

You would still achieve a nice sound as well as create better air flow, just an idea.

Closed Thread