follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 03-04-2014, 02:22 PM   #1
SnapOv3st3r

Drives: 400whp Scion tC
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Fog light Amber led or HID

I'm looking to replace the factory fog light bulbs with some LED ones. Anyone have a link to a source for purchase. Looking for Amber color. The factory bulb is a psx24w for the fog lights from what I gather.
SnapOv3st3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 05:39 PM   #2
Diode Dynamics

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Thanked 1,761 Times in 877 Posts
Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
We have amber PS24W's here: http://www.diodedynamics.com/store/s....html?color=13

They are definitely more "amber" than yellow, which is perfect if that's what your looking for

Nick C.
Diode Dynamics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 06:05 PM   #3
Husker BRZ
Go Big Red!!

Drives: 2013 SSM BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Garage
Though I went with the white LED foglights over the amber, I did get them from Diode Dynamics! I went with the stage 2 LED and couldn't be happier with how they look! I have had them on for 6 months now(no issues) and would definitely recommend!
Husker BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Husker BRZ For This Useful Post:
Diode Dynamics (03-05-2014)
Old 03-05-2014, 12:09 PM   #4
FR-Slide

Drives: 13 Whiteout 6MT
Any pics of actual light output? I've been debating HID vs Halogen for my fogs once I get them, but all the rest of my lighting is LED.

I just figured the light output with LED fogs would be shite, but also didn't want to squeeze in more ballasts for HID retrofits (esp with no projectors in the fogs) AND with plastic housings. But, Halogen just looks so....eww.

Ideally would be going Yellow/3000k. Failing that, would go 6000k to match everything else.
FR-Slide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 01:24 PM   #5
Diode Dynamics

You don't have to worry about heat damage to your housings with our HID conversion kits. Our ballasts are 35 watt and won't generate nearly as much heat as a 55 watt ballast.

If you are looking for an improvement in usable light output, HID's are the best option.

LEDs are intended primarily for cosmetic appearance, unless you are installing one of our Stage 3 LEDs

Nick C.
The Following User Says Thank You to Diode Dynamics For This Useful Post:
FR-Slide (03-05-2014)
Old 03-05-2014, 01:44 PM   #6
Husker BRZ
Go Big Red!!

Drives: 2013 SSM BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FR-Slide View Post
Any pics of actual light output? I've been debating HID vs Halogen for my fogs once I get them, but all the rest of my lighting is LED.

I just figured the light output with LED fogs would be shite, but also didn't want to squeeze in more ballasts for HID retrofits (esp with no projectors in the fogs) AND with plastic housings. But, Halogen just looks so....eww.

Ideally would be going Yellow/3000k. Failing that, would go 6000k to match everything else.
Here's what mine look like. These are the stage 2:
The foglight on the driver's side is the LED while the passenger side is stock in both photos.
Name:  pictures from phone 016.jpg
Views: 642
Size:  85.1 KB

Name:  pictures from phone 019.jpg
Views: 644
Size:  83.4 KB
Husker BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Husker BRZ For This Useful Post:
FR-Slide (03-05-2014)
Old 03-05-2014, 01:53 PM   #7
KI_ZN6

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
HIDs are definitely the way to go for the brightest setup. LEDs are a slight improvement over factory halogen bulbs for foglights
KI_ZN6 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KI_ZN6 For This Useful Post:
FR-Slide (03-05-2014)
Old 03-05-2014, 05:25 PM   #8
FR-Slide

I like the output of HID for sure, but I worry about things like light projection from lack of a projector housing, and longevity of the ballast and bulb, esp if I have them wired to come on with parking lights.

LEDs are far easier and longer lifespan, but not the most powerful or ideal for usable light. In the pic above (and in my experience) they LOOK great/bright, but don't cast a ton of light.

Ugh...decisions.
Old 03-05-2014, 05:27 PM   #9
Diode Dynamics

I suggest you visit our new "Research" section on our website for more information about lighting: http://www.diodedynamics.com/store/research.html

Nick C.
Old 03-05-2014, 05:43 PM   #10
FR-Slide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diode Dynamics View Post
I suggest you visit our new "Research" section on our website for more information about lighting: http://www.diodedynamics.com/store/research.html

Nick C.
Thanks Nick. Some cool stuff on there. Most of my debating is more about the pros and cons of logistics between LED and HID. Namely ballast placement and tearing off the bumper to get access to proper wiring and stuff.

If I was to go HID, and wanted to run with the fogs tied into parking lights, how would I wire up the ballasts? I assumed the side marker wires were too small, and since the front markers are 3-way/blinkers, how would that work?

Sorry, I'm just used to ballast wiring for headlights where it just pops inline with the bulb.
Old 03-05-2014, 06:02 PM   #11
Diode Dynamics

I think you're over-thinking the ballast placement scenario a little bit. They are about the size of a deck of cards at most, very easy to hide and no wiring is involved.

If you need more help feel free to email us: contact@diodedynamics.com

We can provide you with wiring diagrams if needed

Nick C.
Old 03-05-2014, 07:19 PM   #12
KI_ZN6

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FR-Slide View Post
I like the output of HID for sure, but I worry about things like light projection from lack of a projector housing, and longevity of the ballast and bulb, esp if I have them wired to come on with parking lights.

LEDs are far easier and longer lifespan, but not the most powerful or ideal for usable light. In the pic above (and in my experience) they LOOK great/bright, but don't cast a ton of light.

Ugh...decisions.
We are running a HID kit for the foglights on our own FR-S. We used them day and night, no heat issues at all. We tend to use it more during the day for extra attention and less at night (because of glare, unless we are on a dark road with no oncoming traffic).

For installing HID foglights, it does not take any longer than LED foglights. Same procedure more or less and we even have the ballasts mounted in the engine bay area (away from the bumper and underbody plastic panels). We made a custom on/off switch for our HID foglights (the stalks are expensive and time-consuming to change out) and we now have full control of our HID foglights.

We can run our HID foglights during the day with DRLs, with low beams or high beams and even with side marker lights

Shoot us an email or private message if you need more information

Thanks!
KI_ZN6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 07:33 PM   #13
FR-Slide

@KI_ZN6 and @Diode Dynamics - are you running HIDs in glass lamps, or plastic?

I was leaning towards getting the Spyder kit if I went with HID's so that I had a switch to use, rather than the always-on type tapping of the parking or headlights. But Spyder uses the plastic housings and lens, which worries me a bit in terms of stuffing in HIDs. But the yellow lens is mighty pretty!

The Diode kit uses glass lenses, but has no wiring provisions for a switch, meaning I'd have to only run fogs with a tapped source. That, or try and scrounge up a switch and stuff.

Not sure which I trust less; plastic housings and HID or my skills as an electrician haha.

Edit: Also just saw that Spyder uses H16 bulbs, while DD kit uses H11. I know H11 HIDs are available, but is H16 even a thing?
Old 03-05-2014, 07:44 PM   #14
subiestyle

Drives: 2014 Monogram FR-S White MT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
if you were to take the same K temp for halogen and hid, would you be able to tell the difference?

Last edited by subiestyle; 03-05-2014 at 08:07 PM.
subiestyle is offline   Reply With Quote