follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides

DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides For all DIYs.

User Tag List
Koji_Online

Old 05-13-2015, 10:22 AM   #575
HunterGreene
Hail Magnet

Drives: Firestorm FR-S: "Artemis"
Thanked 3,195 Times in 1,633 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I have my guess, but what does removing the spring do? I mean what is the physical difference, not just "it improves the feel."

Based on what I am reading, the spring makes the pedal come all the way up, whereas without the spring, the pedal only comes back as far as the clutch spring itself would force it. Only downside is that it could "flop" around at the top of the stroke. Am I close?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
It has priests in it?
HunterGreene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 10:45 AM   #576
Subscap

Drives: 2015 FRS 6MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterGreene View Post
I have my guess, but what does removing the spring do? I mean what is the physical difference, not just "it improves the feel."

Based on what I am reading, the spring makes the pedal come all the way up, whereas without the spring, the pedal only comes back as far as the clutch spring itself would force it. Only downside is that it could "flop" around at the top of the stroke. Am I close?
That's pretty much it, yes.

The reason that the feel is improved is that the factory pedal return spring is powerful enough that it (in my opinion, completely) masks the force from the clutch spring.

The slop is really minimal, likely no more than a quarter to half an inch at the top. The perfectionist in me would really like to resolve that slop, even though I don't believe it's enough to cause any functional issues. Truly after a few days I've stopped noticing it as much.
Subscap is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Subscap For This Useful Post:
xxBrun0xx (05-21-2015)
Old 05-13-2015, 10:53 AM   #577
HunterGreene
Hail Magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subscap View Post
That's pretty much it, yes.

The reason that the feel is improved is that the factory pedal return spring is powerful enough that it (in my opinion, completely) masks the force from the clutch spring.

The slop is really minimal, likely no more than a quarter to half an inch at the top. The perfectionist in me would really like to resolve that slop, even though I don't believe it's enough to cause any functional issues. Truly after a few days I've stopped noticing it as much.
Thanks alot, nice explanation. So do you think removing this spring could cause premature wear of the clutch spring over the long term, as the load of returning the pedal to the "out" position is now fully on the clutch spring instead of supported by both?
Quote:
It has priests in it?
Old 05-13-2015, 11:13 AM   #578
Subscap

Quote:
Thanks alot, nice explanation. So do you think removing this spring could cause premature wear of the clutch spring over the long term, as the load of returning the pedal to the "out" position is now fully on the clutch spring instead of supported by both?
The pressure plate springs are going to be just fine.

The only plausible concern (read: incredibly unlikely) would be extra clutch disk wear from the weight of the pedal itself possibly exerting pressure on the hydraulic system and ever so slightly disengaging the clutch. Again - highly unlikely this would actually happen.
Old 05-13-2015, 11:17 AM   #579
HunterGreene
Hail Magnet

Quote:

The only plausible concern (read: incredibly unlikely) would be extra clutch disk wear from the weight of the pedal itself possibly exerting pressure on the hydraulic system and ever so slightly disengaging the clutch. Again - highly unlikely this would actually happen.
I agree, the only way I could see this having significant impact is if the pressure plate springs are wearing out, which likely means your clutch is just about done anyways.

...so I think I may look into removing the spring now
Quote:
It has priests in it?
Old 05-13-2015, 11:22 AM   #580
Subscap

Quote:
I agree, the only way I could see this having significant impact is if the pressure plate springs are wearing out, which likely means your clutch is just about done anyways.

...so I think I may look into removing the spring now
You're going to love actually having feedback from the clutch! Keep us updated
Old 05-13-2015, 12:44 PM   #581
Hyper4mance2k
Shadetree Project Ratchet

Drives: series.Blue
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:

MTEC says they have been seeing premature seal failure in the slave due to spring removal, hense their light weight spring. Though, that could all be marketing. I want a spring about as strong as a ball point pen, one that just eliminated the slop. After reading the MTEC reviews, I doubt I'llbe happy with it.
shiro (05-13-2015)
Old 05-13-2015, 12:52 PM   #582
Subscap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyper4mance2k View Post
MTEC says they have been seeing premature seal failure in the slave due to spring removal, hense their light weight spring. Though, that could all be marketing. I want a spring about as strong as a ball point pen, one that just eliminated the slop. After reading the MTEC reviews, I doubt I'llbe happy with it.
Not calling them out, but I sure would appreciate seeing proof of MTEC's claim (photos of wear and how many cars)... I may just be an old salty whenever I hear product businesses claims without proof - graphic designer created HP graphs don't count!

I'm still playing with ideas to get a super weak spring hooked up to ONLY eliminate the slop. If/when I get around to it, I'll definitely update.
The Following User Says Thank You to Subscap For This Useful Post:
Hyper4mance2k (05-13-2015)
Old 05-13-2015, 01:21 PM   #583
Hyper4mance2k
Shadetree Project Ratchet

Drives: series.Blue
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Not calling them out, but I sure would appreciate seeing proof of MTEC's claim (photos of wear and how many cars)... I may just be an old salty whenever I hear product businesses claims without proof - graphic designer created HP graphs don't count!

I'm still playing with ideas to get a super weak spring hooked up to ONLY eliminate the slop. If/when I get around to it, I'll definitely update.
I always love seeing dyno graphs where HP & torque do not cross at 5252 RPM. I like it even more when people argue that they don't always cross at 5252 RPM.
Subscap (05-13-2015)
Old 05-13-2015, 01:31 PM   #584
kbye

Drives: 2014 FR-S
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
FWIW I've had the MTEC spring in for a couple weeks and I'm quite happy with it.
The MTEC is just the right amount of compression, anything weaker probably can't hold up the weight of the clutch pedal.
I don't buy into the premature seal failure explanation, though. I wouldn't expect any long-term issues running springless but I don't claim to be an expert on the subject either.
kbye is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kbye For This Useful Post:
Hyper4mance2k (05-13-2015), Subscap (05-13-2015)
Old 05-13-2015, 03:27 PM   #585
DocWalt

Drives: '22 BRZ
Thanked 1,473 Times in 767 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
The seal failure thing is baloney. The force to push on the master cylinder is coming from somewhere, either the assist spring or your leg...
DocWalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 05:41 PM   #586
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,522 Times in 18,923 Posts
Mentioned: 1107 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:

The assist spring is a compression spring that is part of an overcenter mechanism. Think of any old toggle switch. When you flip the switch slowly it first resists the motion. At some point, when the spring is at maximum compression the mechanism rolls "over center" and then the spring forces the switch the opposite direction.

At factory height adjustment, the clutch assist spring is ever so slightly over center so it pushes the clutch pedal away from the floor.

When the clutch pedal is depressed, very early in the arc, the mode changes so the spring, as it decompresses, applies force in the direction of pressing the clutch pedal. It pushes the same direction as your foot.

This is why some people who have aggressively lowered their clutch pedals without removing the spring report having to sometimes pull back on the pedal to raise it completely. The device never gets to that neutral point where it no longer applies downward force on the pedal.

edit: No. My above statement is BS. The mode does change early in the arc but the motion profile is shallow until well into the pedal arc. The assist spring doesn't do much until the pedal is about halfway depressed.

I believe this may also be the cause of some of these premature throwout bearing failures but have no hard evidence to support the theory.

edit: Nope. Nevermind. I was wrong.

Last edited by Ultramaroon; 06-10-2015 at 11:18 PM. Reason: uggh... more backpedaling
Ultramaroon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ultramaroon For This Useful Post:
Celadrielas (05-13-2015)
Old 05-13-2015, 09:46 PM   #587
Celadrielas

Drives: 2013 Asphalt Fr-S
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
The assist spring is a compression spring that is part of an overcenter mechanism. Think of any old toggle switch. When you flip the switch slowly it first resists the motion. At some point, when the spring is at maximum compression the mechanism rolls "over center" and then the spring forces the switch the opposite direction.

At factory height adjustment, the clutch assist spring is ever so slightly over center so it pushes the clutch pedal away from the floor.

When the clutch pedal is depressed, very early in the arc, the mode changes so the spring, as it decompresses, applies force in the direction of pressing the clutch pedal. It pushes the same direction as your foot.

This is why some people who have aggressively lowered their clutch pedals without removing the spring report having to sometimes pull back on the pedal to raise it completely. The device never gets to that neutral point where it no longer applies downward force on the pedal.

I believe this may also be the cause of some of these premature throwout bearing failures but have no hard evidence to support the theory.

I actually decided I was going to try to reset this back to stock. I've done my best but I've been driving with a slightly lowered clutch pedal for about a year, so I've forgotten. during a different service, I asked the dealership to see if they could "Check the clutch height for me".

My paperwork came back with the folowing note: "There is no clutch adjustment for this vehicle. While slightly lower than other FRS on the lot, there appears to be nothing out of alignment or harmful with the vehicle."

--- I guess, to me, that means if it WAS aggressively low, it could be damaging to the vehicle, in theory. Or the toyota mechanic was a complete idiot. But you know... which ever
Ultramaroon (05-17-2015)
Old 05-16-2015, 11:55 PM   #588
Atticus808

Drives: Splash Mountain
Thanked 2,337 Times in 918 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
I tried to do the clutch adjustment but the 12mm was so damn tight I couldn't loosen it. anyone else have that issue?
Atticus808 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clutch adjustment, clutch helper spring