follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List
go_a_way1

Old 12-24-2019, 07:48 PM   #5237
ML

Drives: 13 White MT FR-S
Thanked 1,127 Times in 521 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
You can log via Ecutek. With bluetooth connect, you can also visually see it on a display of your choice.

any code reader can also give you a realtime display, as with most track dataloggers.
Ok, ok, so I didn't realize you can monitor boost with the Torque app stock, so thanks for that. And if it is correct, then I'm only seeing about 8.5psi max but I have the 12psi pulley. AFR has been good on the guy who sold it to me's custom tune, but he said he didn't need aftermarket injectors and fuel pump, but I'm seeing that you do according to JR and CSG(what size injectors are recommended?).

So my real question now is, why am I not seeing the full 12psi if the app is reading correctly?

Is the belt slipping? No I don't see/hear any signs of that
Is there a boost leak ? Maybe I guess, I need to smoke test it to find that out.
The guy who had it before me had a BOV on it, could this be set to limit boost to a certain PSI? I have the recirculator, so I will try swapping that out as soon as the stores open back up after christmas to get some more hose.

Thanks in advance

Build Thread https://www.instagram.com/mount_tele_lion/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Symbiont View Post
I swear I will punch your car if you put these on. Right in the face.
ML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 06:39 AM   #5238
mswbrz

Drives: 2013 brz limited / galaxy blue
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
What does everyone prefer ? Ecutek with chord or the blue tooth app phone method ?
Also is it possible to upgrade to the blue tooth mode version if you have the chord type with all your same info on it ect ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mswbrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 06:46 AM   #5239
tomm.brz

Drives: brz 2017 hksv2
Thanked 1,065 Times in 774 Posts
Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Bluetooth is better in any ways
i also think ecutek stopped producing the chord version and what if you find it on shops is an old stock

yes you can buy bluetooth version and use it without doing nothing else
tomm.brz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tomm.brz For This Useful Post:
mswbrz (12-25-2019)
Old 12-25-2019, 08:38 AM   #5240
peaches

Drives: '14 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ML View Post
Ok, ok, so I didn't realize you can monitor boost with the Torque app stock, so thanks for that. And if it is correct, then I'm only seeing about 8.5psi max but I have the 12psi pulley. AFR has been good on the guy who sold it to me's custom tune, but he said he didn't need aftermarket injectors and fuel pump, but I'm seeing that you do according to JR and CSG(what size injectors are recommended?).

So my real question now is, why am I not seeing the full 12psi if the app is reading correctly?

Is there a boost leak ? Maybe I guess, I need to smoke test it to find that out.
The guy who had it before me had a BOV on it, could this be set to limit boost to a certain PSI? I have the recirculator, so I will try swapping that out as soon as the stores open back up after christmas to get some more hose.

Thanks in advance
If you have the HBP bigger injectors are required, and an upgraded fuel pump is highly recommended. Assuming you don't have any exhaust of vacuum leaks, that is one limiting factor, the other one is the tune. I had a bad tuning experience, he was only able to get 8 PSI for a while until he started playing with other parameters then he got 10.5. Once I switched to a reputable tuner I see 12 every time. I would suggest you measure the pulley to make sure it is indeed the smaller one.

I have 1,000 cc injectors but I run E-85, track it, and may go for more power later on, if you only run 91/93 you can get away with 450cc (that is what they sell as an upgrade). I don't know if that is true for the C38, I'd use 700cc to be safe in that case.
peaches is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to peaches For This Useful Post:
ML (12-25-2019)
Old 12-25-2019, 08:59 AM   #5241
ML

Garage
Most definitely the HBP based on the printed number on the pulley. Yeah its all very curious trying to figure out someone elses choices when getting used parts like this, and I guess its just part of the risk of doing so. But sounds like no matter what I'm going to need injectors/fp.

how does the tune effect the boost reading on a SC though? that kinda confuses me as its all mechanical. I guess maybe the engine measures it in a different way based on fueling? Getting it dyno tuned has been on my mind though, but again need injectors to do that first.

Quote:
Old 12-25-2019, 10:26 AM   #5242
peaches

Quote:
Most definitely the HBP based on the printed number on the pulley. Yeah its all very curious trying to figure out someone elses choices when getting used parts like this, and I guess its just part of the risk of doing so. But sounds like no matter what I'm going to need injectors/fp.

how does the tune effect the boost reading on a SC though? that kinda confuses me as its all mechanical. I guess maybe the engine measures it in a different way based on fueling? Getting it dyno tuned has been on my mind though, but again need injectors to do that first.
I'm not a tuning expert, but apparently the "issue" with mine was exhaust valve overlap or something. Exhaust valve timing was not optimized, so the engine airflow is reduced. It was nothing mechanical (I did all the install), it was all ECU programming. The other issue he had was that he wasn't using the PI\DI properly, the car had too much fuel all the time and drove like crap on the street.

If you get a tune from CGS or Delicious it'll be pretty good out of the box, it'll just need a few revisions to accommodate your particular setup. Online tunes are convenient but all the logging required can be a pain. I rather have dyno tuning but unfortunately, that led me to a bad experience. So far the car is still running so I think I dodged that bullet.
Old 12-25-2019, 10:53 AM   #5243
tomm.brz

Do you know that with a Supercharger, lower reached boost could also mean better tune and better cam timings? all the tune and logs must be seen, but lower boost could also mean less resistance and better tune

judging only from that can be a noob mistake

Also stock injector can be good also for high boost pulley and 91/93 octane.. if a tuner says not it s because he s lazy, i use stock injectors with 1bar of boost and still have headroom.. better word is "advised"
Old 12-25-2019, 12:29 PM   #5244
kowalski

Drives: 2016 brz
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

Thanks in advance
Another thing to consider is altitude. Where I live (1.500 mts above sea level) altitude reduces the amount of boost you woul'd normally get. If that is not the case, then, check elsewhere as others have suggested.

Best!

Enviado desde mi SM-A730F mediante Tapatalk
kowalski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 12:37 PM   #5245
peaches

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomm.brz View Post
Do you know that with a Supercharger, lower reached boost could also mean better tune and better cam timings? all the tune and logs must be seen, but lower boost could also mean less resistance and better tune

judging only from that can be a noob mistake

Also stock injector can be good also for high boost pulley and 91/93 octane.. if a tuner says not it s because he s lazy, i use stock injectors with 1bar of boost and still have headroom.. better word is "advised"
The tuner doesn't say it's required, Jackson Racing does. The tuner gets paid regardless, he doesn't guarantee the car won't blow up either way. JR spent a lot of time developing and testing the kit, after talking to their support team and giving them all my details they said the car should put out 12. I changed tuners, and it did exactly that. There are variables that can reduce the boost, but they have to be somewhat extreme to lose 4 PSI.

I live in south FL, the car was tuned in 95-degree weather with 80% humidity. It ended up with 12 PSI. He lives in NC, I was just at Road Atlanta and ran a track day in 42-degree weather with 20% humidity, my car was still putting out 12. That is a big difference in weather, what can cause him to lose 4PSI?

Can it work with stock injectors and fp? Of course. Having owned other forced induction cars and learned the hard way what happens when I do things cheaply, am I willing to risk it? Hell no. If you're comfortable doing that, then good for you. Your car is still running? Great! Telling someone to go against JRs recommendations just because you don't want to spend the extra money, that's just bad advice.

I know my engine will see a lot of high RPMs, high temps, and load. Spending an extra $800 to make sure it has more than enough fuel is totally worth it. That's me though, a lot of people who install this kit don't track the car so you can get away with spending less.
The Following User Says Thank You to peaches For This Useful Post:
ML (12-25-2019)
Old 12-25-2019, 01:08 PM   #5246
tomm.brz

Quote:
Originally Posted by peaches View Post
The tuner doesn't say it's required, Jackson Racing does. The tuner gets paid regardless, he doesn't guarantee the car won't blow up either way. JR spent a lot of time developing and testing the kit, after talking to their support team and giving them all my details they said the car should put out 12. I changed tuners, and it did exactly that. There are variables that can reduce the boost, but they have to be somewhat extreme to lose 4 PSI.

I live in south FL, the car was tuned in 95-degree weather with 80% humidity. It ended up with 12 PSI. He lives in NC, I was just at Road Atlanta and ran a track day in 42-degree weather with 20% humidity, my car was still putting out 12. That is a big difference in weather, what can cause him to lose 4PSI?

Can it work with stock injectors and fp? Of course. Having owned other forced induction cars and learned the hard way what happens when I do things cheaply, am I willing to risk it? Hell no. If you're comfortable doing that, then good for you. Your car is still running? Great! Telling someone to go against JRs recommendations just because you don't want to spend the extra money, that's just bad advice.

I know my engine will see a lot of high RPMs, high temps, and load. Spending an extra $800 to make sure it has more than enough fuel is totally worth it. That's me though, a lot of people who install this kit don't track the car so you can get away with spending less.
boost can change also depending on exh headers and cam timing
when a friend changed to skunk2 header from a UEL header with a hks supercharger, boost went down in higher rom.. but power in dyno went up
more efficient header = less resistance = less boost but more torque produced

even hks says that their bigger injector are REQUIRED for a hks v2 supercharger with 43mm restrictor
i run stock injectors without restrictor, in winter without problems

they are playing safe, doesn t necessarily mean you are obliged to follow what they say if it s not entirely true
of course you are right in saying it is adviced and a good move, totally agree.. but i hope you understand what I meant
Old 12-25-2019, 01:55 PM   #5247
gtengr

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
how does the tune effect the boost reading on a SC though? that kinda confuses me as its all mechanical.
Continuously variable cam timing.
gtengr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 05:57 PM   #5248
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,175 Times in 6,834 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:

Thanks in advance
Your MAP is stock, and maxed out; it reads 1.3ish bar absolute.

Which also means, your tune is based on a set of assumptions, and the tune/engine has no way of knowing if those assumptions change, because it physically cannot read the changes....
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 06:24 PM   #5249
ML

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
Your MAP is stock, and maxed out; it reads 1.3ish bar absolute.

Which also means, your tune is based on a set of assumptions, and the tune/engine has no way of knowing if those assumptions change, because it physically cannot read the changes....
I have an Omni 4bar map sensor. Tune...it’s a custom shiv tune, but who knows the status of that really.

Quote:
Old 12-25-2019, 06:28 PM   #5250
jflogerzi

Drives: 2013 Series 10 6MT FR-S
Thanked 2,012 Times in 1,456 Posts
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
I have an Omni 4bar map sensor. Tune...it’s a custom shiv tune, but who knows the status of that really.
I would get a new tune from a tuner who continues to develop for the platform. Shiv has really moved on. I would also switch to ecutek when boosted for some of the added safety features and controls.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk
2013 Series 10 FRS #553
RCE T2's, SPC LCAs -4/2.6 camber
JDL 4-2-1 EL, FP and OP, Tuned by Zach@CSG on e85
RR Wilwood Front/Rear Sport BBK, Motul 600 Fluid
ARC-8 17x9 SX2 GTs 245s/Koing 17x8 v730's 225's
jflogerzi is offline   Reply With Quote