follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 04-06-2014, 09:29 PM   #15
Mikepage

Drives: Scion FR-S 2013 Raven
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Parts Shop Max subframe and differential risers

Quote:
Originally Posted by diss7 View Post
I don't think my NVH will be more or less because of the diff insert. The inserts are bloody tight, needed to be pressed in.

Yes but I want to say, at the beginning they was soft...

Then diff inserts + sub insert will add more NVH compared to sub inserts only... But anyway it's ok, like you say, nothing we can't live with...

Thanks!

Mikepage is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mikepage For This Useful Post:
diss7 (04-06-2014)
Old 04-06-2014, 11:26 PM   #16
Crazy Drew

Drives: Smells like tires when I drive
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
@diss7

Would your friend be interested in selling a set? I no longer have access to a lathe and am not too keen on welding on the subframe of a car with 9k miles on it.

Also, would you mind getting some more pics of the rear bushings where the cover meets the crossmember? It's a little obscured by the swaybar and it's hard to tell how eccentric the new mounting points are.
Crazy Drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 12:24 AM   #17
diss7
Banned

Drives: AE86, 2x GT86, TE27
Thanked 1,179 Times in 522 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Drew View Post
@diss7

Would your friend be interested in selling a set? I no longer have access to a lathe and am not too keen on welding on the subframe of a car with 9k miles on it.

Also, would you mind getting some more pics of the rear bushings where the cover meets the crossmember? It's a little obscured by the swaybar and it's hard to tell how eccentric the new mounting points are.
In all honesty, I'd imagine if I go and ask the guy, the price will be well above what PBM want for theirs. They outsource their labour to China. He is a one man band, with a lot of work on. He's not going to want to sit on his lathe to make these, to make $50. He only did it for me as a favour.

The inserts to the cover are both eccentric. The left one only by a few mm though.
diss7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 12:30 AM   #18
Crazy Drew

Quote:
In all honesty, I'd imagine if I go and ask the guy, the price will be well above what PBM want for theirs. They outsource their labour to China. He is a one man band, with a lot of work on. He's not going to want to sit on his lathe to make these, to make $50. He only did it for me as a favour.

The inserts to the cover are both eccentric. The left one only by a few mm though.
Being a former "small" business owner (f*** my former business partner) I fully understand the limited quantity "no, I'm not making any more of these". Just threw it out there if you speak to this guy on the regular and he wants to make some money. Price is somewhat not an object as there's only one other option. I might have to cash in some favors for use on a lathe if this isn't an option as the PBM parts really don't fit the bill.
Old 04-07-2014, 12:51 AM   #19
diss7
Banned

Drives: AE86, 2x GT86, TE27
Thanked 1,179 Times in 522 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Drew View Post
Being a former "small" business owner (f*** my former business partner) I fully understand the limited quantity "no, I'm not making any more of these". Just threw it out there if you speak to this guy on the regular and he wants to make some money. Price is somewhat not an object as there's only one other option. I might have to cash in some favors for use on a lathe if this isn't an option as the PBM parts really don't fit the bill.
I'll hit him up and PM you.
diss7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 12:59 AM   #20
Crazy Drew

Quote:
I'll hit him up and PM you.

Old 06-04-2015, 05:45 PM   #21
AreteAuto
Racing Enthusiast

Drives: Bone stock 2019 BRZ manual
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thgear View Post
i assume that unlike the whiteline stuff, these need to be pressed in, which means complete disassembly?

having said that, i think this is a must for anyone who is lowered... it solves a lot of the geometry and axle problems no doubt... cheaper than making a custom crossmember (900-1000 bucks) which is what most other cars would have to do.
You sir, I have seen you on many other threads so I know you are knowledgable. Would the change on the driveshaft angle as a result of diff risers be something of concern?

EDIT: I have also heard that shaft spacers would be another, maybe safer solution... but I don't see any on the market yet.
Old 06-05-2015, 04:00 PM   #22
7thgear
i'm sorry, what?

Drives: Canada
Location: I rock a beat harder than you can beat it with rocks
Thanked 2,506 Times in 1,268 Posts
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AreteAuto View Post
You sir, I have seen you on many other threads so I know you are knowledgable. Would the change on the driveshaft angle as a result of diff risers be something of concern?

EDIT: I have also heard that shaft spacers would be another, maybe safer solution... but I don't see any on the market yet.

neutral axle position is always a concern

as an axle moves up or down it grows in length (the hypotenuse of a triangle is always the longest)

obviously the axle is designed to function at angles, that is it's sole purpose, but the closer it remains to being a straight shot from the diff to the wheel during the majority of operation, the better.

but if you raise the diff... and then lower the car, they equal out, which is the point.

what's often the case with lowered cars is that this does not happen, and so the axles start to point up and stay that way for the majority of vehicle operation.
Old 06-05-2015, 04:48 PM   #23
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,351 Times in 2,134 Posts
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
CV's are also under more load the greater the angle they're on and more likley to break if you put power through them at extreme angles.
Old 06-10-2015, 10:13 AM   #24
AreteAuto
Racing Enthusiast

Drives: Bone stock 2019 BRZ manual
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thgear View Post
neutral axle position is always a concern
I was asking about the angle of the driveshaft, as a result of using the diff risers to fix the axle angle. Sort of as a side effect of the diff risers. Is that something to worry about?
Old 06-10-2015, 10:51 AM   #25
7thgear
i'm sorry, what?

Drives: Canada
Location: I rock a beat harder than you can beat it with rocks
Thanked 2,506 Times in 1,268 Posts
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AreteAuto View Post
I was asking about the angle of the driveshaft, as a result of using the diff risers to fix the axle angle. Sort of as a side effect of the diff risers. Is that something to worry about?

sorry, when I say neutral I meant static

no angle is better than angled, yes.
AreteAuto (06-10-2015)
Old 08-30-2015, 11:36 PM   #26
fuddbutter
Potato Farmer

Drives: #SLOBRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Getting them installed as we speak, car is fairly low at the moment with D2 coilovers and PBM lower control arms..
Plus 9.5in wheels..
Old 08-31-2015, 05:17 AM   #27
Nigelr32

Drives: '14 GT86 project, '13 GT86 DD
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuddbutter View Post
Getting them installed as we speak, car is fairly low at the moment with D2 coilovers and PBM lower control arms..
Plus 9.5in wheels..

Could you please confirm how much the subframe is lifted by and how much the diff is raised. I am making these bushes for my car, and am reckoning on around 15mm for the SF and 10mm for the Diff?

I will also be drilling new holes for the inner ends of the front arms, lifting the rack and turreting the top mounts to reposition the front in and back and retain travel on the oh so short rear coil overs.
Old 08-31-2015, 10:13 PM   #28
fuddbutter
Potato Farmer

Drives: #SLOBRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigelr32 View Post
Could you please confirm how much the subframe is lifted by and how much the diff is raised. I am making these bushes for my car, and am reckoning on around 15mm for the SF and 10mm for the Diff?

I will also be drilling new holes for the inner ends of the front arms, lifting the rack and turreting the top mounts to reposition the front in and back and retain travel on the oh so short rear coil overs.

No measurements as yet, will need to jack it up on the weekend and have a look see.
Some pics in here though http://imgur.com/a/v1P6J