follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 02-18-2015, 03:30 AM   #1
TorqueMan777

Drives: 13 BRZ, 18 STI
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Which Intake should I get?

Hey guys, just wanted to see if you all could help me decide which intake system I should get. I'm getting ready to have the car tuned, and I figured I might as well get the intake system before I do so I don't have to have it tuned twice.

There are three intakes I have been looking at, which are:
-Perrin 3" Big MAF
-Grimmspeed
-Skunk2

I'm looking to get the most power out of the system that I can, trying to set the car up for SCCA STX, but I'm also going to be daily driving the car during the summer. I like that the filters are easy to access and clean on the Grimmspeed and skunk2, but I've also read that there can be fitment issues between the air box and the oil lines when using an oil cooler.

Any insight or opinions you all can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Currently I'm running a drop in filter and a perrin silicone inlet hose, along with a perrin 3" resonated CBE. Just ordered some JDL UEL Headers w/o cat and a catted FP/OP (Yay tax season sale!) and will be tuning the car as soon as those get delivered.
TorqueMan777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 03:48 AM   #2
Decay107
Turning is for Nerds

Drives: 35 characters is not enough
Thanked 1,259 Times in 717 Posts
Mentioned: 186 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Drop in filter and tune, anything else is within margin of error on most dynos. Stock airbox is a well designed piece.

Perrin allows the most room for oil cooler lines.
Decay107 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Decay107 For This Useful Post:
SkAsphalt (02-18-2015)
Old 02-18-2015, 11:29 AM   #3
sachu

Drives: rocketship
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Skunk2 has their own oil cooler which will fit fine with their intake.

I have my intake being delivered today. Oil cooler will go on in a month or so.
sachu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 11:43 AM   #4
SkAsphalt
Ridge Racerrrrrrrrr

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S, 2004 Toyota Coroll
Thanked 1,363 Times in 954 Posts
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
None of them!

Mic drop
Old 02-18-2015, 01:23 PM   #5
Decay107
Turning is for Nerds

Drives: 35 characters is not enough
Thanked 1,259 Times in 717 Posts
Mentioned: 186 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sachu View Post
Skunk2 has their own oil cooler which will fit fine with their intake.

I have my intake being delivered today. Oil cooler will go on in a month or so.
I'd be careful running the skunk 2 oil cooler in the PNW, no thermostat. Hell even my thermostatically controlled sandwich plate over-cools in the winter (they are never 100% bypassed).
Decay107 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Decay107 For This Useful Post:
sachu (02-18-2015)
Old 02-18-2015, 01:49 PM   #6
Koa
Sweeper

Drives: '02 RA Bugeye | '15 FRS
Thanked 1,488 Times in 788 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueMan777 View Post
Hey guys, just wanted to see if you all could help me decide which intake system I should get. I'm getting ready to have the car tuned, and I figured I might as well get the intake system before I do so I don't have to have it tuned twice.

-Perrin 3" Big MAF
-Grimmspeed
-Skunk2

I'm looking to get the most power out of the system that I can, trying to set the car up for SCCA STX, but I'm also going to be daily driving the car during the summer. I like that the filters are easy to access and clean on the Grimmspeed and skunk2, but I've also read that there can be fitment issues between the air box and the oil lines when using an oil cooler.

Currently I'm running a drop in filter and a perrin silicone inlet hose, along with a perrin 3" resonated CBE. Just ordered some JDL UEL Headers w/o cat and a catted FP/OP (Yay tax season sale!) and will be tuning the car as soon as those get delivered.
Did you even google search? Lots of "insights and opinions" in existing threads

Here you go! All the answers and discussion you'll need to make an informed decision.
Koa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Koa For This Useful Post:
raven1231 (02-18-2015)
Old 02-18-2015, 01:49 PM   #7
raven1231

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FR-S, 2016 DGM WRX
Thanked 3,118 Times in 1,667 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
ALL OF THEM!
raven1231 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to raven1231 For This Useful Post:
8R6 (02-20-2015), Koa (02-18-2015), SkAsphalt (02-18-2015)
Old 02-18-2015, 06:47 PM   #8
Turdinator
Seņor Member

Drives: 86 GT/'74 TA22 Celica/Kangaroo
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Garage
I have the Grimmspeed intake and am happy with it, I haven't tried the other options however. The Grimmspeed is the only stock sized MAF of the three you listed so MAY cost you a little in the top end but it MAY be better down low. In reality if you are getting a tune you will do well with any of those three.
Old 02-18-2015, 08:17 PM   #9
Xero-Limit

Drives: JDL Turbo FRS, 335SC BRZ (ret)
Thanked 1,547 Times in 525 Posts
Mentioned: 380 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
They will all make a few HP here and there. I haven't tested the GS one directly, but the skunk2 made about 5 hp, and we have many folks with the Perrin 3" and they seem to do well. IMO the biggest issues with the stock intake are the OEM snorkel in the bumper, and the elbow closest to the throttle body. The s2 intake fixes both of these by using a massive elbow and a replacement snorkel. The Perrin unit is quite nice and I definitely prefer that for FI given the sound with blowers etc....but the aluminum loses out to plastic when it comes to heat retention. And I'm not a fan of the oiled filters. We do have a non-oiled filter that will work with it though, and still fit in the stock location.

So that's my take...frankly those are probably the better of the intakes currently available for the 86 chassis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueMan777 View Post

-Perrin 3" Big MAF
-Grimmspeed
-Skunk2

Xero-Limit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 08:38 PM   #10
TorqueMan777

Drives: 13 BRZ, 18 STI
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by moto-mike View Post
They will all make a few HP here and there. I haven't tested the GS one directly, but the skunk2 made about 5 hp, and we have many folks with the Perrin 3" and they seem to do well. IMO the biggest issues with the stock intake are the OEM snorkel in the bumper, and the elbow closest to the throttle body. The s2 intake fixes both of these by using a massive elbow and a replacement snorkel. The Perrin unit is quite nice and I definitely prefer that for FI given the sound with blowers etc....but the aluminum loses out to plastic when it comes to heat retention. And I'm not a fan of the oiled filters. We do have a non-oiled filter that will work with it though, and still fit in the stock location.

So that's my take...frankly those are probably the better of the intakes currently available for the 86 chassis.
Why do you prefer the non-oiled filters? I've always heard the oiled filters flowed better than non-oiled.
Old 02-19-2015, 01:25 AM   #11
sachu

installed skunk2 intake..did some dyno runs, can corroborate what 3 other dyno charts are saying about the intake.

With the insert in and stock tune picked up 5-6 WHP from stock airbox with drop in filter. will post up dyno charts tomorrow.
Old 02-19-2015, 01:31 AM   #12
phrosty

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Comparing intakes without adjusting the MAF scale is pretty useless.
2013 Whiteout 6AT FR-S | Perrin Inlet Tube + 2.75" CAI | OpenFlash Header | P&L Catback | 4.88 Final Drive | Dialed in OFT 2.0x Stage 2 E85 | 18x8 Enkei Raijin + 225/40 Michelin Pilot Super Sport | 17x7 Stock + 215/45 Michelin X-Ice Xi-2
phrosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 02:14 AM   #13
sachu

Quote:
Originally Posted by phrosty View Post
Comparing intakes without adjusting the MAF scale is pretty useless.
Adjusting the MAF scale with the custom tune netted another 10WHP with the skunk2 (with the insert in), but there is still an issue with the torque dip still being present and the bottom end being meh. My tuner is still working on figuring out this.

I know the OFT stage 2 flash removes this torque dip with just my header before the intake was installed, so its a matter of some tuning.
Old 02-19-2015, 08:12 AM   #14
2016 Camaro SS

Drives: Fast
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
I have the Grimmspeed intake and got it dialed in and tuned by Nelsmar. Overall a pretty good intake according to the logs and flow. Much better than the TRD one that was previously tuned and had to compensate for the turbulence because of the larger box.

I'd probably put the Grimmspeed, Perrin, and Skunk2 intakes in the top categories for intakes on this platform right now.
2016 Camaro SS is offline   Reply With Quote