follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 04-21-2012, 05:55 PM   #29
blu_

Drives: SWP BRZ LTD
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bristecom View Post
I've driven some pretty fast cars but the problem I find is that they are either a little too heavy or too big. They are designed to be stable at 150 mph, not to be whipped around little corners at 30 mph. So yeah, to some extent I believe them that the BRZ handles better. However, they probably could have said the same for other similar cars.
Yeah that's the problem with a lot of performance cars.
blu_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 06:07 PM   #30
Sport-Tech

Drives: TBD
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimman View Post
It didn't beat the GT-R, the editor just said it handled better. Bit on the GT-R says it was third fastest they ever tested on the figure 8.
I know which of the two attributes I want.
Sport-Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 11:26 PM   #31
random

Drives: Multiple
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by blu_ View Post
Im just saying take what most auto journalists have to say with a grain of salt. I've read too many times about cars considered to be perfect by them, only to have to greatly criticizing the cars flaws a few years down the line when the new competitor comes out.
Has it ever been proved that there are auto journalists and/or auto magazines who get paid by car manufacturers to give praise to their new vehicles? I wouldn't be surprised if this were the case because it would explain why I never see a journalist write completely terrible things about a car. If they ever did, then they'd stop getting kick backs from the auto manufacturer.
random is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 12:37 AM   #32
Dark
Elite Padawan

Drives: '15 WRX, 15 GLA250, and 2 feet
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by random View Post
Has it ever been proved that there are auto journalists and/or auto magazines who get paid by car manufacturers to give praise to their new vehicles? I wouldn't be surprised if this were the case because it would explain why I never see a journalist write completely terrible things about a car. If they ever did, then they'd stop getting kick backs from the auto manufacturer.
Chris Harris did write something terrible about Ferrari.
Old 04-22-2012, 12:39 AM   #33
Kimsey47

Drives: 2016 STI DGM
Thanked 1,460 Times in 662 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Subaru and Toyota are going to be broke with all those payouts then!
Kimsey47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 12:59 AM   #34
DeepHunta

Drives: '05 Outback Wgn, '05 Lotus Elise
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Good thing rear tires are the same as the front....so if the rear goes bald after a good thrashing in the track, then just switch the front with the rear, and you're good to go again for more power sliding fun!

The media is hyping it up waaaay too much. I'm just gonna wait for the Top Gear UK review. Hopefully, Jeremy will shed some light into this. Although, Top Gear UK has already had first drive impressions of this car and they like it a lot! End of June is the likely showing of the new series.
DeepHunta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 01:09 AM   #35
blu_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark View Post
Chris Harris did write something terrible about Ferrari.
Actually this is a good point for my case... As he will never be invited to test a new Ferrari ever again.
Old 04-22-2012, 01:14 AM   #36
Dark
Elite Padawan

Quote:
Actually this is a good point for my case... As he will never be invited to test a new Ferrari ever again.
It just shows that what he said was right.
Old 04-22-2012, 01:31 AM   #37
Kiwi

Drives: Volkswagen Golf GTI
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Which Ferrari was it?
Kiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 01:36 AM   #38
blu_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
Which Ferrari was it?
All of them. He basically said they give reviewers obviously tuned from stock cars to get better reviews. It was on jalopnik and is a good read.
Old 04-22-2012, 01:47 AM   #39
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Drives: Mk3 Supra with Semi-built 7MGTE
Thanked 2,265 Times in 1,234 Posts
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
Which Ferrari was it?
All of them. Ferrari is apparently very selective and controlling with their 'production' cars. Has been since the 80's if I remember an article about the 'US-spec' Quattrovalvo that C&D tested. The 'production' car that Ferrari supplied was almost a second faster in the 1/4 mile and like almost .1g better on the skidpad than a real one sourced from an American dealer. The Harris article goes into how Ferrari controls the 'independant' testing by providing specific cars for specific tests. They don't take one car and do all testing on it. They take the car that Ferrari tells them for a specific test.

Because titanium.
Dimman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 01:55 AM   #40
Dark
Elite Padawan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimman View Post
All of them. Ferrari is apparently very selective and controlling with their 'production' cars. Has been since the 80's if I remember an article about the 'US-spec' Quattrovalvo that C&D tested. The 'production' car that Ferrari supplied was almost a second faster in the 1/4 mile and like almost .1g better on the skidpad than a real one sourced from an American dealer. The Harris article goes into how Ferrari controls the 'independant' testing by providing specific cars for specific tests. They don't take one car and do all testing on it. They take the car that Ferrari tells them for a specific test.
They don't allow mags to borrow cars from owners for the test either. Every about the test is controlled by Ferrari themselves. They don't let mag publish any comparison test that Ferrari came out the worst or close to the worst. In short, the Ferrari cars tested by Mags, is not the same spec as what's at the dealership.
Old 04-22-2012, 02:09 AM   #41
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Drives: Mk3 Supra with Semi-built 7MGTE
Thanked 2,265 Times in 1,234 Posts
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark View Post
They don't allow mags to borrow cars from owners for the test either. Every about the test is controlled by Ferrari themselves. They don't let mag publish any comparison test that Ferrari came out the worst or close to the worst. In short, the Ferrari cars tested by Mags, is not the same spec as what's at the dealership.
Yeah, forgot about that. Ties into that 80s test I mentioned. They ripped on Ferrari pretty hard about truth. Didn't actually call them liars but pretty close. Now with the customer car testing ban (and no way a dealer will lend them a car any more either) the only way for a mag to find out the truth is to buy their own, and that's not going to happen.

Because titanium.
Dimman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 06:51 AM   #42
Kunzite

Drives: Toyota Auris
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Canuck View Post
Indeed and a key 'real world' benchmark for those of us who spend hours driving continually around the same cloverleaf highway exit for kicks
"All right, dear. Have you finally figured out which shoe store should we go next?"
It can happen!
Kunzite is offline   Reply With Quote