follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 01-13-2014, 06:21 PM   #183
kodyo

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Having same issue. Causes window to *pop* when it rolls down.
Attached Images

kodyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 01:36 PM   #184
suaveflooder

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 1,052 Times in 664 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Gonna bring this back for a couple reasons. Some people are mentioning that dealers aren't touching this unless it leaks, and my passenger side doesn't leak as of yet, so I'm looking for other solutions.

For those who have the problem, check and see how that seal feels. I noticed that mine was slightly "tacky" to the touch in JUST THAT AREA. I'm not talking about sticky, but there was actual resistance when I ran my hand past that area where the rest of the seal was slick, with no resistance.

I walked over to my drivers side as it doesn't have the issue and it was slick from front to back. I added petroleum jelly to the bad seal (DO NOT DO THIS, BY THE WAY, THE END RESULT WAS WORSE and the stickiness got worse) and while it was new, the seal worked normally.

I would love to hear from some people who have had this issue and see how the seals felt. Anyone else getting a tacky spot right where the seal catches? The soap and water trick helped, but I'm assuming it's because soap drys out the seal a bit and eliminates (or lessons) that tacky spot.

I'm wondering if conditioners actually worsen the effect. I know wurth makes a product that is designed to condition the seals but also leave them so they don't stick. (It was a product the BMW community uses to keep the seals from freezing to the window in cold weather) I've been using that, but perhaps not often enough (I only did it once this year.)
suaveflooder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 05:03 PM   #185
arashishozen

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by suaveflooder View Post
Gonna bring this back for a couple reasons. Some people are mentioning that dealers aren't touching this unless it leaks, and my passenger side doesn't leak as of yet, so I'm looking for other solutions.

For those who have the problem, check and see how that seal feels. I noticed that mine was slightly "tacky" to the touch in JUST THAT AREA. I'm not talking about sticky, but there was actual resistance when I ran my hand past that area where the rest of the seal was slick, with no resistance.

I walked over to my drivers side as it doesn't have the issue and it was slick from front to back. I added petroleum jelly to the bad seal (DO NOT DO THIS, BY THE WAY, THE END RESULT WAS WORSE and the stickiness got worse) and while it was new, the seal worked normally.

I would love to hear from some people who have had this issue and see how the seals felt. Anyone else getting a tacky spot right where the seal catches? The soap and water trick helped, but I'm assuming it's because soap drys out the seal a bit and eliminates (or lessons) that tacky spot.

I'm wondering if conditioners actually worsen the effect. I know wurth makes a product that is designed to condition the seals but also leave them so they don't stick. (It was a product the BMW community uses to keep the seals from freezing to the window in cold weather) I've been using that, but perhaps not often enough (I only did it once this year.)
The seal is about gone on you car. It's rough bc its wearing through it.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
Old 02-07-2014, 01:31 AM   #186
suaveflooder

Quote:
Originally Posted by arashishozen View Post
The seal is about gone on you car. It's rough bc its wearing through it.

It gets sticky when it's about gone? Honest question. I need to get it in if that is the case. Any idea of how to fix this in the future? The window/door is NEVER used. I mean it has literally been opened a dozen times in the last year.
Old 02-07-2014, 05:10 PM   #187
arashishozen

Quote:
It gets sticky when it's about gone? Honest question. I need to get it in if that is the case. Any idea of how to fix this in the future? The window/door is NEVER used. I mean it has literally been opened a dozen times in the last year.
It's ripping the seal. The seal is supposed to smooth, at all times. Not sticky, not rough, in any matter. You might be able to see the metal underneath where it is pulling at. I was in mine.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
suaveflooder (02-07-2014)
Old 02-07-2014, 11:47 PM   #188
suaveflooder

Quote:
It's ripping the seal. The seal is supposed to smooth, at all times. Not sticky, not rough, in any matter. You might be able to see the metal underneath where it is pulling at. I was in mine.

Took it in today . New weatherstripping is ordered and will go on next week
Old 02-07-2014, 11:51 PM   #189
arashishozen

Was that so hard lol. Mine was so bad that both sides had to be replaced

Old 02-08-2014, 06:37 PM   #190
Target70

Drives: 2013 Asphalt 6spd
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Noticed same issue, on passanger side. slighty tacky, pulls up the seal when rolling it up. Almost never used. I have some 303, I'll try to condition the seal and see if it helps to keep it from sticking.
I never liked the idea of the windows rolling up down every time I open the door, figured it would just cause problems :blank stare:. I thought that it was a microswitch in the door like the bmw 850, but after testing I found it to be the door open/closed switch. If I can disable it without pulling out the interior, I'll try that.
Someone said the window interfered with door operation, so you can't disable it, but if that were the case if the batt died, then you couldn't open the door to open the hood and replace the battery. I don't want to just pull my battery cable to test, cause I'm lazy and don't want to reprogram my radio, plus the ecu would have to relearn. either way I'll get around to it eventually.
Target70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 06:46 PM   #191
Mikem53

Drives: FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Target70 View Post
Noticed same issue, on passanger side. slighty tacky, pulls up the seal when rolling it up. Almost never used. I have some 303, I'll try to condition the seal and see if it helps to keep it from sticking.
I never liked the idea of the windows rolling up down every time I open the door, figured it would just cause problems :blank stare:. I thought that it was a microswitch in the door like the bmw 850, but after testing I found it to be the door open/closed switch. If I can disable it without pulling out the interior, I'll try that.
Someone said the window interfered with door operation, so you can't disable it, but if that were the case if the batt died, then you couldn't open the door to open the hood and replace the battery. I don't want to just pull my battery cable to test, cause I'm lazy and don't want to reprogram my radio, plus the ecu would have to relearn. either way I'll get around to it eventually.
It will interfere with door operation.. The window needs to drop to clear properly. It will open in emergencies.. But it's not something you would want to do often.. I have had cars with indexed windows before and never had an issue with reliability..
Mikem53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 06:56 PM   #192
suaveflooder

Quote:
Was that so hard lol. Mine was so bad that both sides had to be replaced

Not hard at all, lol. I HATE taking the car to the dealer. I would rather avoid it if I can. We'll see how this install goes. I always have something end up wrong when I get it home :/
Old 02-08-2014, 07:17 PM   #193
arashishozen

Quote:
Not hard at all, lol. I HATE taking the car to the dealer. I would rather avoid it if I can. We'll see how this install goes. I always have something end up wrong when I get it home :/
I'm with you there...=/ I've been back too many times

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
suaveflooder (02-08-2014)
Old 02-08-2014, 09:37 PM   #194
Target70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikem53 View Post
It will interfere with door operation.. The window needs to drop to clear properly. It will open in emergencies.. But it's not something you would want to do often.. I have had cars with indexed windows before and never had an issue with reliability..
not that I don't trust.. I just have to see it for myself. and like suaveflooder said, I really don't want to go to dealer. go up there with one problem leave with 3 more. Also I keep my stuff a long time. My last car for over 10 years (93 240sx with manual window crank) windows never had a problem. auto rolling up and down seems to have worn out passanger side seal in less than 6 months. plus others have complained about any grit in felt causing scratches in glass and tint from repeted window movement that would not have occured without the indexed windows. True It could still occur without indexing, but you can avoid moving the windows till you could clean the felt. With the indexing, you have to fix it now, or not use the car if you don't want to make it worse. On top of all that, the longevity of the motor, and window tracks is yet to be seen. Even my friends window ecu's in the bmw went bad after some years... just saying, the more you use something, the more it wears out. [/rant]

edit: the 303 aerospace protectant definitely helped. after application, the window no longer pulls the seal at all. however the seal is kind of warped now so I'll have to keep an eye on it. I'll update in a few days and say how it works after it dries/cures. I went ahead and applied to drivers side too.

Last edited by Target70; 02-08-2014 at 11:03 PM.
Old 02-09-2014, 08:36 PM   #195
Target70

after the 303 dried I still get the same issue. But I did disable the window indexing, and had no clearence issues. very quick/simple did both sides in 60 seconds. the door switch grounds to the body via bolt. open door, use 10mm socket to remove the bolt under the door open/closed button. The window will move multiple times as you remove this bolt so if you are worried, you may want to disconnect the battery first. once the bolt is out the switch is deactivated. It thinks that the door is always closed.

some small issues. The dome light will not come on when you open the door, but if you use the key/fob to unlock the doors before you get in, the light will come on anyway, and stay on for 20 seconds. If you unlock the car via key/fob open door, and close door it will relock itself in 60 seconds, as it doesn't know the door was opened. so DO NOT drop the keys in the seat to run back into the house to get something or it will lock you out of the car.
and finally, no more annoying door chime when you are listening to the radio and want to leave the door open.
*note this should probably not be used if you have an alarm system. Will try to post pictures/video.
nevermind, this has been done and is in the diy section

Last edited by Target70; 02-10-2014 at 01:40 AM.
Old 02-12-2014, 12:45 AM   #196
FRSRAVEN

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I too noticed this issue a few weeks ago. Its driving me mad, and my seal is now very rough in the area where the window is folding it up. All the weatherstrip is smooth to the touch except for this area, which means the rubber is wearing away.

Annoying, and I know in due time the weatherstrip is going to fail in that area. Good to know I'm not the only one with the issue. That and the trunk popping mean I'll be taking this car to the dealership soon.
FRSRAVEN is offline   Reply With Quote