follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List
go_a_way1

Old 09-09-2016, 10:08 AM   #1093
Shady195

Drives: '13 10 Series FRS #1203
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinchu View Post
Phil speaks mountains of truth. Spend that extra 4k on a 2 way and a seat and moar powa. Built a well balanced car one upgrade at a time. What younare doing with 4k coils and stock everything else is like using roids and just doing calf raises with 900 pounds. Gotta build up the whole body in proportion.

My first ae86 had a stock 4ag with cams intake and exhaust. Bg springs with tokico hp shocks, t3 lateral rod and nrca. Car was so well rounded and done on a budget, ryan hampton drove it and loved it. Simple things make a well rounded package.

Think of all the tires and seat time $4k could get you!!!

Have you read my previous posts? My car is hardly stock lol

Already have a fairly well sorted suspension setup. Biggest issues now is I need some more aggresive dampers and springs. Great on the street, a little to tame for skidz. Even when on the stiffest setting im pretty much bottoming these things out and they are causing the car to dig in a bit more than id like.

My car is properly aligned and corner balanced.

0 Toe in on the rear
-.5 Degrees of camber in the rear
1/16 toe in up front
3* of Camber

51/49 L/R Weight
55/45 F/R Weight
50/50 Cross

Have completed my second event with my turbo setup

I appreciate your guys input for what I should do, however I'm going to need to replace these Flex Zs and while im sure i dont NEED them, I want a suspension setup I can learn on and tune. Learning how to drive the car is only half the battle; being able to adjust aspects of the vehicle to suit your tastes can be just as important.

Cage/Rear End/Seats/Hydro setup/Other misc suspension aspects are also in the works..

I was just looking for some input of people who may have gone for a more aggresive damper thats all.
Shady195 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Shady195 For This Useful Post:
MrFisty (09-20-2016)
Old 09-09-2016, 12:01 PM   #1094
TylerLieberman

Drives: '24 GR86
Thanked 3,343 Times in 1,576 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady195 View Post
Have you read my previous posts? My car is hardly stock lol

Already have a fairly well sorted suspension setup. Biggest issues now is I need some more aggresive dampers and springs. Great on the street, a little to tame for skidz. Even when on the stiffest setting im pretty much bottoming these things out and they are causing the car to dig in a bit more than id like.

My car is properly aligned and corner balanced.

0 Toe in on the rear
-.5 Degrees of camber in the rear
1/16 toe in up front
3* of Camber

51/49 L/R Weight
55/45 F/R Weight
50/50 Cross

Have completed my second event with my turbo setup

I appreciate your guys input for what I should do, however I'm going to need to replace these Flex Zs and while im sure i dont NEED them, I want a suspension setup I can learn on and tune. Learning how to drive the car is only half the battle; being able to adjust aspects of the vehicle to suit your tastes can be just as important.

Cage/Rear End/Seats/Hydro setup/Other misc suspension aspects are also in the works..

I was just looking for some input of people who may have gone for a more aggresive damper thats all.
A lot of us used Stance with the upgraded swift 8k/9k setup and love it. Ditching the front sway bar also helped with the snappy tendencies on transition.
TylerLieberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 10:27 AM   #1095
Shady195

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerLieberman View Post
A lot of us used Stance with the upgraded swift 8k/9k setup and love it. Ditching the front sway bar also helped with the snappy tendencies on transition.
Rather than remove it, I tried going with a larger 18MM rear sway bar and that seemed to help quite a bit with initiations as well as keep the rear feeling more responsive in drift.
Old 09-10-2016, 12:30 PM   #1096
Shinchu

Drives: 2016 FR-S Asphault MT
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Never said your car is stock, i read everything about your upgrades already. Granted i forgot about your turbo kit but just saying that throwing $4k at coils is a little odd and you could get much better balanced performance if you spread that cash throughout the entire car instead of just the coilovers. There are much cheaper setups available that are more aggressive than your tein flex z coilovers.

Phil and tyler are spot on with the stance, and i recommended the pro series powered by max with adjustable caster. They come with swift springs already in the 8kg front 6kg rear rates but im sure if you call or email with them, they can put stiffer springs or even revalve the dampers as they do all this in house. Best part is, the pros are only $1300.

Oh and the reason people remove the front swaybar is because it binds with any increase of steering angle, and also helps reduce the snappyness when flicking the car between drifts in the opposite direction.

I have been asking the guys at pbm if they can fab a kit to bolt the sway to the lower control arm instead of the damper. Makes more sense and would not bind with increased steering angle. Im waiting on this and i will grab me some megan inner tie rods.

http://www.poweredbymax.net/
Shinchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 02:27 PM   #1097
philstar

Drives: Argento FR-S
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Never said your car is stock, i read everything about your upgrades already. Granted i forgot about your turbo kit but just saying that throwing $4k at coils is a little odd and you could get much better balanced performance if you spread that cash throughout the entire car instead of just the coilovers. There are much cheaper setups available that are more aggressive than your tein flex z coilovers.

Phil and tyler are spot on with the stance, and i recommended the pro series powered by max with adjustable caster. They come with swift springs already in the 8kg front 6kg rear rates but im sure if you call or email with them, they can put stiffer springs or even revalve the dampers as they do all this in house. Best part is, the pros are only $1300.

Oh and the reason people remove the front swaybar is because it binds with any increase of steering angle, and also helps reduce the snappyness when flicking the car between drifts in the opposite direction.

I have been asking the guys at pbm if they can fab a kit to bolt the sway to the lower control arm instead of the damper. Makes more sense and would not bind with increased steering angle. Im waiting on this and i will grab me some megan inner tie rods.
Keep me updated if you hear anything about a bolt on front LCA with sway bar mounting point from PBM.

I saw Hardrace will be offering it soon but according to Megan, no current plans to bring these LCA's into the US anytime soon. If anyone knows a way to get this, I would love some information.

http://www.hardrace.com/Product_deta...4&Car_Type=244

Im okay with running no front sway bar but I am considering just drilling holes in the stock front LCA and making custom end links which I have seen a few people do.
Old 09-10-2016, 03:18 PM   #1098
TylerLieberman

Quote:
They have the full front knuckle kit, which includes the new LCAs and endlinks. I wonder if you could just buy those components separately, rather than having to buy their full kit.
The Following User Says Thank You to TylerLieberman For This Useful Post:
Shinchu (09-11-2016)
Old 09-11-2016, 10:02 AM   #1099
Shady195

Quote:

I'm not quite sure why spending money on coilovers that will offer a far greater plethora of adjust-ability is odd? It's not as if its the only thing I'm planning on doing. Simply was hoping someone else may have decided to go a similar route and had some input. I'd rather spend the money now to get the best of what I can rather than do it two or three times if I ever get to a point where it may be something I need. I want to learn how to properly tune my entire suspension based on conditions. If I can make the car "easier" to drive for myself, why wouldnt I do that?
Old 09-11-2016, 01:42 PM   #1100
Shinchu

Garage
Phil i have wondered the same thing... can we just drill ino the stock arms and bolt up the sway with an s14 sway link? Me thinks so...
Tyler yes i know about the angle kit and thats what gave me the above idea, if they can figure something out for swaybar relocation i will post here for sure. I forgot to ask them when i was there picking up my coilovers.
Shady i guess i agree to disagree.
Meanwhile i will just be here wishing for events in san diego... sure there is adams about 2 hrs away but damn thursday is a mofo.

Old 09-11-2016, 06:10 PM   #1101
TylerLieberman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady195 View Post
I'm not quite sure why spending money on coilovers that will offer a far greater plethora of adjust-ability is odd? It's not as if its the only thing I'm planning on doing. Simply was hoping someone else may have decided to go a similar route and had some input. I'd rather spend the money now to get the best of what I can rather than do it two or three times if I ever get to a point where it may be something I need. I want to learn how to properly tune my entire suspension based on conditions. If I can make the car "easier" to drive for myself, why wouldnt I do that?
I think he's just trying to say it's a bit overkill, and that there's better value for dollar options. Most people in drifting don't start messing with 2 or 3 way adjustable coilovers until they get up to the Pro-Am/Pro level. $4,000 coilovers isn't a bad thing, but imagine instead spending $4,000 on coilovers, arms, and sway bars.

You still have coilovers that are sufficient but have a lot more adjustability, because yu have the ability to alter your alignement and sway bar settings.

You can go about it however you'd like
Old 09-12-2016, 05:00 PM   #1102
Shady195

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerLieberman View Post
I think he's just trying to say it's a bit overkill, and that there's better value for dollar options. Most people in drifting don't start messing with 2 or 3 way adjustable coilovers until they get up to the Pro-Am/Pro level. $4,000 coilovers isn't a bad thing, but imagine instead spending $4,000 on coilovers, arms, and sway bars.

You still have coilovers that are sufficient but have a lot more adjustability, because yu have the ability to alter your alignement and sway bar settings.

You can go about it however you'd like
I figured as much, I guess for most its about doing the best with the resources they have. I'm not rich by any means, it still takes some serious saving and budgeting to spend money on my car.

I guess in the end, for me its about taking the time to build the car right, and avoid doing things two or even three times as little as possible. End goal for this car is to be a pro am ready car. Do I plan to go Pro? No, not at all. Maybe when I have enough seat time and I'm actually decent, maybe ill try and do pro am. However I have 0 aspiration to try and get in to FD Pro series.

Maybe overkill to some, but this platform and the direction im going with it is a learning experience. I'm constantly learning, between seat time and just what certain aspects of the car do what and affect other things and how to adjust and adapt..

I kind of like to get the "best" of what I can.

Why dont I have a proper bucket seat in my car you may ask? Well because I refuse to use harnesses without a cage. However I think I've come to a point where I will use a seat with the stock belt for events..

I guess I'm just a nerd, and "good enough" isn't good enough for me if I have the means to get something better..

Some people are fine with the 800 dollar couch thats comfy when they sit on it that day, im the guy that buys the 2-3k dollar couch because I want to sit in it for the next 20 years and not have it fall apart on me.
Old 09-12-2016, 05:16 PM   #1103
x808drifter
LMGTFY

Drives: 13 FRS, 91 Miata
Thanked 3,646 Times in 1,625 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Now that I see your final goals a little better, I'd say something in between.
More than your typical single adjust, but maybe not full on race.

Definitely get something rebuildable so you can experiment with different spring rates as you improve.
x808drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 09:05 PM   #1104
Shady195

Quote:
Originally Posted by x808drifter View Post
Now that I see your final goals a little better, I'd say something in between.
More than your typical single adjust, but maybe not full on race.

Definitely get something rebuildable so you can experiment with different spring rates as you improve.
Exactly, not trying to put penskes on my car LOL!
Old 09-18-2016, 01:30 PM   #1105
Shinchu

Garage
I understand not wanting a harness without a proper cage. I hate harness bars and i have heard some nasty stories supporting my belief of why they are a no no.

Still...

You want omg top of the line $4k coilovers but only just considering a bucket seat??? Dude thats like the 3rd thing i bought for my first ae86 and it made a huge difference not only in how the car felt but it also enhanced my driving capability!

This is what i mean about building a balanced car. You go balls out on a turbo kit and coilovers but stock seat? I would even g et a good 2 way lsd before 3 way adjustable dampers. But... if you must... look into eibach. They have a top of the line series with 2 or 3 way adjustment and reserviors. Should be what you are looking for. Its what conrad grunewald was running on his camaro for a while and he races ferraris so yeah.

Goodluck and i wish you no ill will, just having trouble understanding the top of the line everything before you are driving at that caliber. Like the paint ball player with all the best stuff but still gets blasted.

Old 09-18-2016, 05:52 PM   #1106
Shady195

Quote:
I understand not wanting a harness without a proper cage. I hate harness bars and i have heard some nasty stories supporting my belief of why they are a no no.

Still...

You want omg top of the line $4k coilovers but only just considering a bucket seat??? Dude thats like the 3rd thing i bought for my first ae86 and it made a huge difference not only in how the car felt but it also enhanced my driving capability!

This is what i mean about building a balanced car. You go balls out on a turbo kit and coilovers but stock seat? I would even g et a good 2 way lsd before 3 way adjustable dampers. But... if you must... look into eibach. They have a top of the line series with 2 or 3 way adjustment and reserviors. Should be what you are looking for. Its what conrad grunewald was running on his camaro for a while and he races ferraris so yeah.

Goodluck and i wish you no ill will, just having trouble understanding the top of the line everything before you are driving at that caliber. Like the paint ball player with all the best stuff but still gets blasted.
Its a matter of, why spend the money twice. Do I need them? No.. Will there become a point where having that adustability will benefit me? yes.

You're also seeing this from a, I buy one thing, wait 6 month or a year and buy another, I'm piecing multiple things together for the coming year. i hope to start getting my car ready for a cage and have it done by the end of spring. I was asking as I continue to do research and wa slooking for first hand experience thats all.
The Following User Says Thank You to Shady195 For This Useful Post:
MrFisty (09-20-2016)