follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List
go_a_way1

Old 08-26-2016, 08:12 PM   #1079
WORKS

Drives: WORKS CARB Legal Turbo BRZ
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by philstar View Post

Hey guys, haven't posted in here in awhile. Ever sine my unfortunate meeting with a concrete k-rail at last years Final Bout II, I've moved to socal.

I've downsized to 16's with 205/50's since then, also plan on trying out a few different setup tricks to see how I like it. Cant wait to hit some events out here!
Let us know if you're going to drive at a NorCal event, Sonoma Drift at Sonoma Raceway in particular.
Old 08-26-2016, 08:24 PM   #1080
WORKS

Drives: WORKS CARB Legal Turbo BRZ
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
A couple of us dusted off our drift cobwebs with the WORKS BRZ while also testing one of the new blow-off valve options for our WORKS Turbo Kits at Wednesday's Sonoma Drift. Better photos/video next time, we swear!

Old 08-29-2016, 01:20 AM   #1081
philstar

Drives: Argento FR-S
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WORKS View Post
Let us know if you're going to drive at a NorCal event, Sonoma Drift at Sonoma Raceway in particular.
I have quite a few friends that regularly drift out there so I will definitely be making my way up soon enough!
Old 09-05-2016, 12:21 PM   #1082
Shady195

Drives: '13 10 Series FRS #1203
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
A run from my local event. Reverse course which is something I had never done before, went pretty well until I spun at the end.

I know an angle kit would deff help me recover from some of my little mess ups but I want to get more comfortable with the car as is before I go changing things..

Second time out on my turbo kit as well

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHEuC6n6p94"]Lebanon Valley Drift 9/2 Reverse Course - YouTube[/ame]
Shady195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 12:48 PM   #1083
Shady195

Also, looking for a little help from some more seasoned drift guys in here that maybe have a bit more of a serious setup..

The goal here is to turn my FR-S into a Drift car. It's still going to be streetable, but after this year it should be nothing more than somethign fun to take out on the weekends to meetup with other car enthusiasts and to slay tires whenever possible..

I plan to cage the car and strip most of the interior out of it.

I'm not sure where I want to go next. I have some bushings in the front end I can replace; a full set of adjustable sways is in the list, and I think my next goal is some serious suspension. I've become a bit of a nerd when it comes to leanring about suspension setups. I want to get a good 2 or 3 way coilover, and i'd love a good baseline to start as far as decent spring rates and how to go about adjusting the Compression/Rebound/High speed settings.

Not sure if anyone in here is getting that crazy yet but figured id ask.
Old 09-05-2016, 04:09 PM   #1084
x808drifter
LMGTFY

Drives: 13 FRS, 91 Miata
Thanked 3,646 Times in 1,625 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
if its a weekend missile by how you've made it sound, I doubt you need anything more than some basic 1-1.5k coils.

If you are serious about competing in events, then yeah. But for street, it isn't really worth it in my eyes.
x808drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 05:08 PM   #1085
gatorbushmen
Amateur Drifter

Drives: '13 FRS
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady195 View Post
Also, looking for a little help from some more seasoned drift guys in here that maybe have a bit more of a serious setup..

The goal here is to turn my FR-S into a Drift car. It's still going to be streetable, but after this year it should be nothing more than somethign fun to take out on the weekends to meetup with other car enthusiasts and to slay tires whenever possible..

I plan to cage the car and strip most of the interior out of it.

I'm not sure where I want to go next. I have some bushings in the front end I can replace; a full set of adjustable sways is in the list, and I think my next goal is some serious suspension. I've become a bit of a nerd when it comes to leanring about suspension setups. I want to get a good 2 or 3 way coilover, and i'd love a good baseline to start as far as decent spring rates and how to go about adjusting the Compression/Rebound/High speed settings.

Not sure if anyone in here is getting that crazy yet but figured id ask.
expensive coilovers might be a little overkill unless you're competing. Then again, it's your money. Spend it the way you want to
Old 09-05-2016, 10:57 PM   #1086
Shady195

I plan to compete as I progress. Nothing like pro series, but local/pro am events possibly. Even if that never happens, my end goal is to get the most out of the car I can and learn a thing or two in the process. If I have to dump 3-4k into some quality coils for the opportunity to learn and improve myself? Seems well worth it, but that's just me. I plan to build a well sorted out drift car, even if it is in the end nothing more than for a weekend thrash with buddies.
The Following User Says Thank You to Shady195 For This Useful Post:
SoCal80six (09-06-2016)
Old 09-06-2016, 04:13 PM   #1087
x808drifter
LMGTFY

Drives: 13 FRS, 91 Miata
Thanked 3,646 Times in 1,625 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
If you are willing to spend the money, and want to learn, go for it.
Do you already have scales or know of a set you can use to corner balance the car?

If not, I'd be trying to buy those first.
You'd be surprised how much better a car is when properly corner balanced.
x808drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 02:31 AM   #1088
philstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady195 View Post
I plan to compete as I progress. Nothing like pro series, but local/pro am events possibly. Even if that never happens, my end goal is to get the most out of the car I can and learn a thing or two in the process. If I have to dump 3-4k into some quality coils for the opportunity to learn and improve myself? Seems well worth it, but that's just me. I plan to build a well sorted out drift car, even if it is in the end nothing more than for a weekend thrash with buddies.
Beauty of this car is that it really doesn't need much to be a proper drift car to learn and progress with. I attached an old video from a year and a half ago below. First two runs are my car, basic $1k range coilovers, inner tie rods, 2way LSD, bucket seat, stock power level. Third run is driving my friends, main difference being he is still stock torsen diff but has OFT 93 octane tune with header and stock seat. I still have a lot to learn.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zx_GNv4QhpY"]philstar dday51 - YouTube[/ame]
Old 09-07-2016, 12:21 PM   #1089
tato.valverde

Drives: Scion FRS RS1.0,Mazda MX-6 2.5i 4WS
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by philstar View Post
Beauty of this car is that it really doesn't need much to be a proper drift car to learn and progress with. I attached an old video from a year and a half ago below. First two runs are my car, basic $1k range coilovers, inner tie rods, 2way LSD, bucket seat, stock power level. Third run is driving my friends, main difference being he is still stock torsen diff but has OFT 93 octane tune with header and stock seat. I still have a lot to learn.

Who are you? Are you on Chi-town86? Will you be in the upcoming DDays?
tato.valverde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 02:32 PM   #1090
philstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by tato.valverde View Post
Who are you? Are you on Chi-town86? Will you be in the upcoming DDays?
I am. "Phillip Stubkjaer" in the group. I recently moved back in February to LA though so I wont be attending any ClubFR events any time soon.
Old 09-08-2016, 09:25 AM   #1091
Shady195

Quote:
Originally Posted by x808drifter View Post
If you are willing to spend the money, and want to learn, go for it.
Do you already have scales or know of a set you can use to corner balance the car?

If not, I'd be trying to buy those first.
You'd be surprised how much better a car is when properly corner balanced.
Car is already corner balanced. Good friend of mine bought scales as it's something he wanted to learn how to do, and knowing I wanted to as well he lets me use them.

There was a huge difference in how responsive the car felt with the balance. Feels a lot more stable in transitions.
Old 09-08-2016, 11:57 PM   #1092
Shinchu

Drives: 2016 FR-S Asphault MT
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Phil speaks mountains of truth. Spend that extra 4k on a 2 way and a seat and moar powa. Built a well balanced car one upgrade at a time. What younare doing with 4k coils and stock everything else is like using roids and just doing calf raises with 900 pounds. Gotta build up the whole body in proportion.

My first ae86 had a stock 4ag with cams intake and exhaust. Bg springs with tokico hp shocks, t3 lateral rod and nrca. Car was so well rounded and done on a budget, ryan hampton drove it and loved it. Simple things make a well rounded package.

Think of all the tires and seat time $4k could get you!!!

http://www.poweredbymax.net/
Shinchu is offline   Reply With Quote