follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Marketplace > User/Vendor/Sponsor Reviews, Feedback, Comments

User Tag List

Old 09-16-2013, 12:16 PM   #1
11RApearl

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Perrin 2.5in Header-Back Resonated Review

I ordered the stated above and installed it myself. I've never modded a car to this extent. This was my first time installing exhaust.

INSTALL: The install was very straight forward and simple, just nuts and bolts. Only 2 problems i had was one of the bolts on the tail end(car) side of the front pipe turned with the nut. After about 10 to 15 minutes of trial and error on doing it right i just removed the nut and bolt together (no big deal since the supplied hardware replaced that particular bolt). If it was the other side i wouldve been in for a lot more work. Everything fit nicely and snug. The instructions were somewhat helpful, i only had to look at them a few times. The second was aligning the tips right. (this was error on my part) After getting support from @Mobius357 and @PERRIN_Chris i readjusted the v-band clamps and got it where i wanted. This install took 3 hours because im pretty picky when it comes to my work, and wanted to make sure i got everything right and tight. Im sure it wouldve been alot faster if i had just put it on without quality in mind.

BEFORE/AFTER COMPARISON (SOUND): Before i was satisfied with everything except for the fact that there was no sound basically, except for the sound generator. After i installed everything i started up the car and it immediately made me smile. Now the sound i was going for was similar to a G35 sound when they start up or take off. I have to say it sounded like that with a substantial amount of more volume. No rasp, or "fart can" sound. Even when i WOT it sounds smooth and deep,similar to a subwoofer when its settings are right. Nice clean tone all the way through. Also i cant really hear the sound generator anymore unless im WOT. Even then it blends so well with the note of the exhaust.

BEFORE/AFTER COMPARISON (PERFORMANCE): I knew that i wouldn't get a significant amount of difference as far as performance so my expectations for the "feel" were low. After installing and waiting about a week before coming to a conclusion, I can tell you that it does slightly go through the torque dip faster. Also i noticed an acceleration difference when staying around 2k-3600 rpm (positive acceleration difference). The top end i havent had a chance to WOT 1-6. On the highway cruising at about 3k rpm and i push the pedal all the way down it seemed the same but instead of the digi-speedo going up by 1, it jumps in 2 mph increments.

Overall i am very happy with this product and the results i got. Keep in mind that i wanted sound over performance. So to me the performance that i did get was a bonus!

Thanks to PERRIN_Chris helping me out and following through on everything. Also thanks for answering my questions @PERRIN_Chris and @Mobius357

-Robert

Last edited by 11RApearl; 10-03-2013 at 04:48 PM.
11RApearl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 11RApearl For This Useful Post:
PERRIN_Mladen (10-03-2013)
Old 10-03-2013, 04:59 PM   #2
Mobius357

Drives: '15 WRX '13 Legacy '07 Colorado
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
I know some people like to rag on Perrin, but I love my headerback, and have no complaints about it at all. The v-bands can be tricky, they took me a few tries. One thing to note, Perrin includes split lock washers, I don't recommend using those. Split lock washers lose torque faster than plain flat washers. It's counter intuitive but NASA is a pretty reliable source.
Mobius357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 07:40 PM   #3
PERRIN_Mladen

Drives: '11 535i
Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11RApearl View Post
I ordered the stated above and installed it myself. I've never modded a car to this extent. This was my first time installing exhaust.

INSTALL: The install was very straight forward and simple, just nuts and bolts. Only 2 problems i had was one of the bolts on the tail end(car) side of the front pipe turned with the nut. After about 10 to 15 minutes of trial and error on doing it right i just removed the nut and bolt together (no big deal since the supplied hardware replaced that particular bolt). If it was the other side i wouldve been in for a lot more work. Everything fit nicely and snug. The instructions were somewhat helpful, i only had to look at them a few times. The second was aligning the tips right. (this was error on my part) After getting support from @Mobius357 and @PERRIN_Chris i readjusted the v-band clamps and got it where i wanted. This install took 3 hours because im pretty picky when it comes to my work, and wanted to make sure i got everything right and tight. Im sure it wouldve been alot faster if i had just put it on without quality in mind.

BEFORE/AFTER COMPARISON (SOUND): Before i was satisfied with everything except for the fact that there was no sound basically, except for the sound generator. After i installed everything i started up the car and it immediately made me smile. Now the sound i was going for was similar to a G35 sound when they start up or take off. I have to say it sounded like that with a substantial amount of more volume. No rasp, or "fart can" sound. Even when i WOT it sounds smooth and deep,similar to a subwoofer when its settings are right. Nice clean tone all the way through. Also i cant really hear the sound generator anymore unless im WOT. Even then it blends so well with the note of the exhaust.

BEFORE/AFTER COMPARISON (PERFORMANCE): I knew that i wouldn't get a significant amount of difference as far as performance so my expectations for the "feel" were low. After installing and waiting about a week before coming to a conclusion, I can tell you that it does slightly go through the torque dip faster. Also i noticed an acceleration difference when staying around 2k-3600 rpm (positive acceleration difference). The top end i havent had a chance to WOT 1-6. On the highway cruising at about 3k rpm and i push the pedal all the way down it seemed the same but instead of the digi-speedo going up by 1, it jumps in 2 mph increments.

Overall i am very happy with this product and the results i got. Keep in mind that i wanted sound over performance. So to me the performance that i did get was a bonus!

Thanks to PERRIN_Chris helping me out and following through on everything. Also thanks for answering my questions @PERRIN_Chris and @Mobius357

-Robert

Thanks for the great review! I'm glad @PERRIN_Chris and @Mobius357 were able to help you out in regards to the alignment issue!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobius357 View Post
I know some people like to rag on Perrin, but I love my headerback, and have no complaints about it at all. The v-bands can be tricky, they took me a few tries. One thing to note, Perrin includes split lock washers, I don't recommend using those. Split lock washers lose torque faster than plain flat washers. It's counter intuitive but NASA is a pretty reliable source.
We use them for when hardware comes loose. They reduce the chance of the hardware completely falling off the car. Lock washers simply keep the hardware tight in these situations.

We are not dealing with super high TQ here, just vibration and potential error in installation.
PERRIN_Mladen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PERRIN_Mladen For This Useful Post:
11RApearl (10-04-2013)
Old 10-03-2013, 08:01 PM   #4
Mobius357

Drives: '15 WRX '13 Legacy '07 Colorado
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
@PERRIN_Mladen that is true. Course, in my case I machined my own fasteners from monel k-500 scraps. Massively overkill, but they'll be nice and shiny when the car goes in the crushers decades from now.
Mobius357 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mobius357 For This Useful Post:
PERRIN_Mladen (10-04-2013)
Old 10-04-2013, 08:24 PM   #5
11RApearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobius357 View Post
I dont see why they do. But after all i love mine as well. The sound that you get is perfect. Not obnoxiously loud but definately a head turner. I used the supplied hardware. So far no problems. I will get back underneath my car and retorque the bolts again its been about a month since install.
Old 10-04-2013, 08:25 PM   #6
11RApearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by PERRIN_Mladen View Post
Thanks for the great review! I'm glad @PERRIN_Chris and @Mobius357 were able to help you out in regards to the alignment issue!

We use them for when hardware comes loose. They reduce the chance of the hardware completely falling off the car. Lock washers simply keep the hardware tight in these situations.

We are not dealing with super high TQ here, just vibration and potential error in installation.
Thanks @PERRIN_Mladen im very pleased with the product and service! Couldn't have picked my first exhaust mod better!
The Following User Says Thank You to 11RApearl For This Useful Post:
PERRIN_Mladen (10-07-2013)
Old 10-04-2013, 11:36 PM   #7
Pokeguyjai

Drives: 2013 GBS BRZ (AT)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I had my headerback exhaust (2.5" throughout, resonated, just like yours) installed today and I am liking it too. The sound is perfect IMO, even though I could do with it a little louder, the adult in me tells me that the cops might look at that in a poor light.
Pokeguyjai is offline   Reply With Quote